• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gps

jimh874

Question

i will be recieving a bonus from work here soon and im in the market for a GOOD gps in the $100 or so range.
i know someone had posted on a lowerance not to long ago, i wrote it down and sence then lost the info. kids like to color and write on everything.
all i remember is it was a lowerance and it was priced around $100- $110.

opinions on anything else i could look at? i just need something user friendly so i can keep track of my spots.

jim

13 answers to this question

Jim: Best I can do is reccomend you look at Garmin's products. I have owned several of them since GPS came to general market and they seem to do the job.
Don't know about a unit for $100.

There really aren't any quality ones I've seen for $100 you can get a Lowrance IFinder Pro which I personally own for $199 Or just the standard I-Finder for $149. But with the Pro you get the software for creating maps, etc. on your computer and Garmin also has some units in that range and a bit below But it depends on if you want mapping or not. The I-Finder does have mapping capabilities.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors

I have had a Garmin 12XL for over 4 years. They were still selling the same unit last fall for around $100. 4 years ago, Garmin was way ahead of Lowrance in ease of use. But I believe the newer Lowrance units now are similar to the Garmins in ease of use. I hardwired my little Garmin into my boat, and have over 1400 hours on the little unit.

Last year, with unit over 3 years old, the memory battery went dead. Garmin explained over phone that it probably went dead because I stored it over the winters without batteries, which recharge the little nick/cad memory battery. Anyway, I sent it to them, and they repaired/replaced it free of charge.

So from experience, I prefer Garmin. I think you can find both Lowrance and Garmin in your price range in Scheels, Gander Mtn, and maybe Mill's Fleet Farm. Play with the units in the store, and buy which ever you feel more comfortable with.

sounding good, looks like i will have a good list of them to check out and compair.

maping is just software provided for being able to creat maps on the computer? not relly a nessary feature for me but something i can look at.
money is a little bit of a issue, but its not going to hold me back from getting a unit i want.

jim

One nice thing about the Lowrance units is that you can download emulators for them that function on your PC exactly as the real units. This is VERY cool as you can plot your charts and load all your maps and see them in living color without sitting out in your boat. Nice for the offseason when your sitting around at the computer anyways. I've been playing with the 104, and I-Finder Pro emulators.......they are just like the real thing.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors