• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Casting Net Question?

Mongro02

Question

Does anyone know if they are legal to use in Minnesota to harvest baitfish?

If Yes,

Anyone know where to purcahse one?

I've seen bait traps, Seines and others but never seen any casting nets sold at any local stores.

6 answers to this question

Hows this for a wild-eyed, radical approach to the issue? We get the regs from the closest place that sells sporting goods and we read them!
Shazaaaam! We would have the answer!
You'll enjoy using one. It'll only take you half of the rest of your life to learn how to toss it. HA!

Thanks MuleSkinner,

I didn't want to interpret it...That's why I asked.

Interpretations can be different one person to the next...I was hoping someone would know...but I guess I give the DNR a call.

I assumed that I didn't see any sold in stores...meaning it was illegal for use in Minnesota...

But then I have seen people using them every once in a long while too.

[This message has been edited by Mongro02 (edited 10-04-2004).]

Here are the exact pages from the regulations for 2004, pages 72 and 73. You can find them easily online at the MN site. Good luck with your own interpretation.
smile.gif

Minnows and Leeches
• Licensed anglers may take minnows or leeches for their own use with dip nets, traps, or seines. However, seines may not be over 25 feet long or more than 148 meshes deep with 1⁄4-inch bar measure, or more than
197 meshes deep with 3⁄16-inch bar measure. For traps, width and length may not exceed 30 inches, height may not exceed 15 inches, the diameter or width of the opening may not exceed 1 1⁄2 inches, and mesh size may not exceed 1⁄2 inch bar measure. Traps must have a waterproof tag bearing the name and address of the owner.

• Minnows or leeches may not be taken from designated trout waters except with a DNR permit.
• Unwanted minnows and leeches cannot be dumped in the water.
• Live carp may not be transported or used as bait.
• DNR commercial licenses are required in order to sell minnows or leeches, either wholesale or retail, or to possess more than 24 dozen minnows or leeches.
• Only licensed minnow exporters may export minnows and leeches.
• Game fish (including perch and sunfish of any size) or parts of game fish may not be used for bait.
• Minnows and leeches taken from infested waters (see pages 70–71) may only be used for fishing at the body of water where taken.
• It is illegal to bring live minnows and leeches into Minnesota without a permit and to use imported live minnows and leeches for
bait in Minnesota waters.
• All streams and associated tributaries and connected waters of the Missouri River watershed in Lincoln, Pipestone, Murray, Rock, or Nobles counties that lie south of U.S. Highway 14 to the Iowa border and west of U.S. Highway 59 to South Dakota are closed to minnow harvest.