• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice on new spinning rod

tjsker

Question

I'll be going for walleyes on the Whitefish Chain this coming June and plan to use the technique my guide showed me last year of pulling a Lindy/Roach type of rig just off the bottom and occasionally dropping the weight to feel the bottom. What lenght of a rod should I use for this? Any rod recommendations?

7 answers to this question

Berkeley has one for the purpose you describe with Gary Roach's name on it. I have one that's 6'2 and another that's 6'6. They are very good rods for the price.

tjsker, The 7ft rod is perfect for that fishing.Get something that is probly medium-medium light with a fairly fast action tip so when you feel the bite the fish won't feel you.If money is no object try that Legend Elite by St.Croix Es70ml 7 fter nice rod or the same in the avid series you wont be dissapointed good luck.
Jason

------------------
fishing fever guide service
fishingminnesota.com/fishingfever/
phone 218-327-2191
e-mail [email protected]

All I use for lindy rigging is a 7 foot rod. When fishing is tough or you are fishing very clear water, I like to use a long florocarbon leader and the 7 foot rod helps to make the leader more manageable. I use a St. Croix Avid series Medium light.

Thanks to all above for the information. When Sam Anderson was down here in Lincoln, NE last week, he said he uses a 7ft rod also. So I think my wife is going to get me a St. Croix AS70MLF for my birthday (I won't tell her about the new reel she got for my birthday though).

One suggestion- give my dad a call. He builds custom made rods and can get the exact blank for the rod you mentioned. It's a guarentee that he'll get it for you at a cheaper price than you'll get in a store and it'll be personalized and with whatever color windings you'd like too. His name is Rod (seriously) and his number is (218) 891-4415. I have yet to ever hear of anyone who has been even a little bit disappointed with one of his rods.
Scoot

He builds great rods! I would highly recommend them.

For bait rigging and light jigging a 6' 6" med is a good bet. Short vertical jigging situations going with heavier jigs or blade baits (3/8-5/8) a 6' to 6' 8" med/Hvy is my choice, especially with supper braids like FireLine.

Scoots Dad builds some awesome sticks, worth a look for sure!

------------------
Backwater Eddy.......><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
Ed Carlson
(701)-281-2300

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html