• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Demo Lazer Mags a good deal?

Nels

Question

I am looking into buying a gas auger.
I have been to a couple of shops recently that have "demo" lazer mag (not designated either express or ultra) 2hp (8in) augers.
These have 2 cutting blades and don't have the center bit. I think I can still get a 1 year warranty on it.
Is $225.00 - $250.00 a good deal?
I was hoping to find some going on clearance for $200 or less, but I'm not sure that will happen.
Thanks
Nels

3 answers to this question

If you can get the one year warranty I'd say go for it. I worked for a Gander Mountain for a couple of years and I don't think anything ever happened to any of our demos. What is there to go wrong, they're just sitting there? If there is something wrong with it they wouldn't be selling it.

I have the Lazer 8" and it's a great auger, never had any problems and those two blades cut fast! Sounds like a heck of a deal for $250.

Nels,

I got a good idea for ya. If you ever happen to be up in big lake, stop in at strikemaster and ask them what they got for demo augers. The only thing they use them for is demonstration at shows and tournaments. They usually knock off 100 bucks. I'm friends with the daughter of the owner of strikemaster. They may have just what you're looking for.
Keep the lines wet, Matt

[This message has been edited by Bigguns3 (edited 03-08-2002).]

Hold out for an auger with the center bit. The teeth closest to the center of the auger on my Strikemaster XL-3000 3 hp always got dull, but when I switched to the new shaft with the center bit two years ago, it was like heaven. I haven't needed to sharpen anything since, and that was a few hundred holes ago. And the center bits are cheap and easy to replace/sharpen if they dull.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])