• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance GPS

ivegottabite

Question

I am looking at some Lowrance GPS units. I am wondering if the I-finder plus is good enough for icefishing? I see that they have a H2O model now which is based more on water and fishing. I just need one to plot waypoints and to be able to hook up to a computer. If I could get some opinions or input I would appreciate it.

9 answers to this question

I have an i-Finder Pro, and it works well for fishing. You can transfer points from the computer via a memory card (MMC). I like it...it is map compatible with the Navionics maps, and is easy to use. I would suggest that you get the H2O (waterproof) version, though...

thanks for the info. i have been pretty impressed with what i've seen from the lowrance handheld line. i checked them out today at scheels and i believe the h2o would be the way to go also. with their mapping system do you get a fair amount of information? also have you gone to the dnr maps at all? i have heard from other people that the dnr maps are not very accurate at all.

I use the i-finder pro. this unit works really well, and with the navionics cards it very hard to beat. Only 1 word of caution on the i-Finder H2O, there hasn't been a ram mount made for it yet. The ram mountdoes work with the pro, pro plus, and others.

I am in the market for a GPS unit. I need one that I can mount in my boat + I need portability for ice fishing. How can I mount the H2O in my boat if the RAM mount doesn't exist? It seems this is the unit I would need. Can a person make some adaptation to fit??

I'm not familiar with the h2o but it sounds like its the only handheld with the ability to run navionics programs. If you don't plan on buying it, any good unit under $200 will suffice, but the navionics gold for MN is a fantastic program. I would say it brings boat position and sonar together. good luck, HTB

The good folks at Lowrance (sarcasm) made the H2O just a little wider and a little deeper than the original. Just enough so that it won't fit in the bracket. I am holding mine in the original bracket with a rubber band until the new bracket comes out, then I will buy a bracket and be very unhappy about it (Ram brackets are available without the mount, so don't buy the whole thing over). They also changed the power cable attachment, but threw in the cable with the unit, so I can't complain about that one.

I bought the H2O after getting moisture in my ifinder. It sat on my dash behind the windshield, and did get pretty wet once or twice. Unless the the unit is going to be kept in the supplied plastic pouch all the time I'd get the H2O or another waterproof brand. Overall I'm happy with the way the ifinder operates.

hey guys,
thanks for all the info. i ended up buying an h2o this weekend, they were out of them so i was even able to get the plus model for the same price!! couldn't beat that. i hope to start playing around with it soon and have it mastered for ice fishing.
thanks again guys, you're help was appreciated.
yes, they do make a mount for them now also