• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stainless/alum./composit props

Question

A new prop is definatly needed on my boat, a 17' Northwood Pro Tourney with a 120 Force outboard. Is stainless worth the extra expense, and what about composit props, they're only about $90. I've been told that stainless holds up better if you do hit a rock, something that happens occasionally since I fish the St. Louis river a lot. Do stainless props get more speed than aluminum?

7 answers to this question

agreed! the ss will give you more speed,but when you hit something with one, your lower unit takes alot more abuse. the alum. will fold and absorb more. the composite work in an emergency, but that is about it. i'd go with the alum. and check into the guards! del

If you fish Clearwater, you don't want SS. As a matter of fact, I'd like to have the prop repair concession for Clearwater Lake. I could buy a new fishing rig and tow vehicle every year.

The islands area of LOTW is another prop destroyer.

I agree with delmuts.Those comp props are only good for an emergency prop.I used them fro a season on a river rig.Well I should say i used them a couple of times.If you hit anything with these props the blade snaps off and then the prop is useless.One hit and she's done.I run a jet now.

A new prop is definatly needed on my boat, a 17' Northwood Pro Tourney with a 120 Force outboard. Is stainless worth the extra expense, and what about composit props, they're only about $90. I've been told that stainless holds up better if you do hit a rock, something that happens occasionally since I fish the St. Louis river a lot. Do stainless props get more speed than aluminum?

Agreed with everybody.

Stainless steel will flex less, give much more performance and endurance with small objects (sticks, small floating things, etc.) but if you hit something prop won't budge, your lower unit will take the damage (big, big $$$).
Aluminum has less performance, it's a good compromise, it will crack or bend when you hit rocks, but will save much of the impact from lower unit (unless you are flying 80mph).
Comprops are just for spare, they have the least performance and they will completely shatter on impact (sometimes even on smaller objects, and/or sand bottom) leaving just the hub. Will save your lower unit.

I think the most important thing is keep motor tilted a lot (at low speed), so you can have control of boat, but still "escape" any object below you.

Val

I have run a comp prop for two seasons and have had very good luck. I haven't hit anything at high speeds but have banged it plenty of times loading my boat and going slow in the shallows with no damage. Comp props will hold there shape much better than an aluminum on slow bottom/rock hits, I ran an aluminum prior to the comp and had it rebuilt at least once a season for about the cost of the comp prop.

I belive the top end preformance is better than an aluminum.

The big risk with the comp is it will leave you dead in the water on a hard hit where aluminum will get you home(sometimes).

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, it's really depends on how you will use it and how carefull you are.

I tried the comp props for the reason that chucker said.They cost about as much as getting a prop repaired.The onbly problem was when you do hit something there is no repairing a comp prop.You just out of luck.Now I do not treat my equipment nicely.When I hit someting with my aluminum prop and got a ding in it i would just keep using it until it shook the motor so bad that I did need to get it repaired.Some of my props where so chewed up that they were probably 2 inches smaller than they should have been.I just considered it wear smile.gif.
A few years back I did see another type of composit prop that had replacable blades.This sounded like a good idea but I have not seen them since.