• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

removing old prop and installing new prop on Minn-kota trolling motor

CALVINIST

Question

I have never changed the prop on a trolling motor before, so maybe someone can help me out. It is a Minn-kota 320, an older model. It has the bigger prop.

Here's the deal...

Looking at the hardware that needs to be removed in order to take the prop off, first there is the prop with a threaded bolt coming out of it. Onto this threaded bolt there is first a washer, then a plastic wing nut that screws onto the threaded bolt. That bolt has a flathead screw head, which fits the center of the wingnut. I tried to remove the screw/bolt, but was really stuck, and I disfigured the head pretty bad ( while keeping the threads in pretty good shape) onto which the wingnut affixes. I cannot understand how the prop is affixed to the motor. I only tinkered with it a little before work this morning, so I cannot work on it now, but maybe someone knows this motor-type and can help me out here.

After thinking, I realized that that screw head might not be a factor in changing props. is that right?

Does the prop screw on and off?

Wgat purpose dors that screw head serve...does it serve only to remove the threaded bolt?

Hope I explained that good enough.

Thanks for any help

------------------
<><<><
Calvinist
><>><>

[This message has been edited by CALVINIST (edited 08-25-2004).]

4 answers to this question

No books on Minn Kota's web site but I did find this:

How can I get technical information about my Minn Kota trolling motor?

We would be glad to answer any technical questions you may have. In the USA and Canada, please call 1-800-227-6433.

Give them a call and see if they can help.

On the older trolling motors there should be a wing nut on the motor shaft that runs through the center of the prop. After removing the wing nut there may be a pin that goes through the shaft and mates with the prop this will also need to be removed. The old prop may be a bit stuck but a little WD-40 should help. If your motor is differnt give the 800 number a call. good luck !

Oh yeah make sure you check the shaft and bearings for old fishing line and pick it out before you install the new prop.

Calvinist,
I believe you're making this much harder than it really is.
You should just need to unscrew the plastic wing nut from the shaft. Take a close look at the wing nut to make sure there isn't a pin stuck through it or the shaft that's imbedded in a slot in the wing nut to keep it from coming loose.

Bottom line, though, is that there's usually just a plastic wing nut holding a plastic prop on.
Hope this makes sense !
Good luck !
Twitter

I changed my Minnkota prop last night. Thanks to your good advice and instructions, it was a breeze. The hardest thing to do was to cut all the fireline off the shaft. Ha We have had some tremendous strikes ,while trolling, lately only to find out it's the trolling motor instead. They FIGHT hard!
I have a transom Endura 40 and it was really easy. Unscrew nut, take washer and prop off, cut line off, slide new prop on, put washer and nut on, tighten slightly with pliers. WALLA, ready for the next big STRIKE. Your advice helped my confidence to try it a lot, Thanks!
Dale

[This message has been edited by soldoncass (edited 08-28-2004).]