• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fenwick Techna AV snapped !

Polar Bear

Question

A couple days ago my beautiful (and expensive) Techna AV snapped clean off a few inches above the handle while setting the hook . The wierd thing is I was using 8 lb. Trilene XL and the line didn't break. The fracture is a clean break in the thickest part of the rod blank. The rod has a "limited lifetime gaurantee" so I hope they will replace it.

Has any body ever heard of this happening?

Polar Bear

4 answers to this question

My experience with breaking a rod is that if it is a clean break like you described it would be conidered a flaw in the rod blank. Now if it would have shattered and splintered you would been at fault for over powering the rod blank.

I am guessing you will have no trouble getting it replaced smile.gif

I had the same thing happen to me in June up in Canada!Fenwick HMX brand new,trying to free a snag with 6lb. mono and it snapped about halfway up.Brought it back to Sportsmans Warehouse,and they gave me a new one!Must be a factory flaw?

Polar Bear, where did you buy it? At Joe's Sporting Goods if you buy a Fenwick and it breaks, you can bring it back (with the receipt) and they can give you a new one right over the counter. That's just how Fenwick is with them. Shimano has the same policy. But you must have the receipt. If you don't have the receipt, you can have them send it in and they will fix you up.

Fenwick's are too **** brittle! St.Croix all the way!!