• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Sonars

Question

How do you rig a boat for two sonars?I am rigging my boat with a Garmin on the trolling motor(universal transducer 200kz)and a Garmin on the dash(transom mounted 200kz) .I may also add a unit on the stern in the future.If I have all the same sonars will I get interferance if I use them at the same time.And if so what do I need to do to run more than one sonar at a time without getting interferance?

8 answers to this question

If they all run on the same frequency they will interefer. Theres nothing you can do about it. I am still using the old x-85's which are 192khz along with the Garmin 240 and the new x-15 which i run independently. Another tip: make sure your locators are not hooked up to the same battery as the trolling motor is. When the locator and trolling motor are on at the same time on the same battery, the motor will cause interence on the locator.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

I have fished in buddies boats.It sucks fishing blind even if your not in control of the boat.I guess I am just a nice guy.It would also be nice to get a "second opinion".
D-man
I find myself suddenly interested in your sonar smile.gif

Fishhead,
I have problems with interference on my X-48 (bow) and X-75 (console). It didn't help having both ducers on the back of the boat, near each other, running the same frequency too! I moved the one ducer to the front trolling motor and that helped a lot. Try getting the ducers on opposite ends of the boat to reduce interference with the signals.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 03-06-2002).]

What if you have two different depth finders (I have a Garmin for the stern, and I am looking at a Hummingbird for the bow)? Will they interfere? I plan on putting the transducer for the Hummingbird on my bowmount. Does transducer location make any difference at all?

I was recently told that if the cone angles of two sonars intersect you will get interferance unless the frequency of the signal is more than 50khz different.With cone angles of 20 degrees and a 17 ft boat( one 'ducer on the bow and one on the stern) you could possibly run two sonars in up to 20 feet of water without interference.