Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
andy j

trailer tire question

I need some expert advice on this one. I need to replace the tires on my lund boat trailer. The spare I have now is a brand new (full sized radial) but it is a passenger radial not a trailer specific tire. I can spend another $50 to get a match to the spare, and use one of the tires I am taking off as the new spare. Or I could get 2 new trailer tires for $120. Is there really that much different between a trailer tire specific and a regular passenger tire of the same size. My boat is a lund 17 1/2 foot bass with a heavy duty trailer. My dad says I should go the cheaper route but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake. What do you think guys. Thanks AJ

One other tip- don't get bias-ply trailer tire. Go with a radial trailer tire. I have had a few blow-outs in the past and the radial saved my butt from damaging the rim, or even worse. Worth the extra 10-15 $.

Think about what a cheap tire can cost you. Depending on the trailer, it can take out the fender and light, that alone is worth more than the **** tire. Let alone the frustration of trying to change the left side tire on I94 at 5:30 on a Friday and almost getting run over by every other ***** on the road.

Thanks for the info, I am glad I asked, Does $120 sound right for price, what would be a good deal, any suggestions. Thanks Again, AJ

I wouldn't use a passenger car tire on a trailer at all times.

If you are in a pinch for $$, I would use the proper trailer tire spare in place and use the passenger radial as the spare. That way if it's stolen, damaged, dry rots, etc.. you won't be out that much more.

Here is the whole scoop on trailer tires in a nutshell. It all has to do with weight and heat. Heat is what kills tires. Under inflated tires build heat, so does overloading.

All tires have their weight rating cast into them. For the most part the difference between car/truck tires and those for trailers is sidewall stiffness (don't really have to worry about the ride) and tread hardness. Trailer tires usually have a harder tread compound to last longer and they don't have to be stressed with steering and braking chores. (usually)

What do you figure your boat/trailer/gear all weighs together? Say you think it all weighs 3000lbs and the car tires are rated at 1250 lbs each. Thats not going to work for the long haul. Yes, if you only tow 2 miles at a time that would probably work for the life of the tire but not at 70 MPH for three hours when it's 90 degrees out. Each tire must be able to support half the weight, plus give yourself a little "breathing room".

Yep, it's a pain in the butt and trailer tires are kind of spendy (you mught get by with pickup tires, but I'd go with trailer tires). It's alot easier to spend it now than to sit on the side of the road with a tore up trailer due to a blow out.

Hope this helps.

------------------
It still beats workin'