• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun Refinishing question/suggestions?

311Hemi

Question

Anyone have any recomendations or know where a good place would be to have my Browning A5 shotgun reblued and the wood refinished?

Is it worth trying one of the rebluing kits myself or just paying someone to do it.

I would like it done with high quality because of the personal value to me(inherited)... any suggestions would be great!!

8 answers to this question

first off if you have it re-blued it will kill the value of the gun. if you never plan to say goodbye to it than no biggie.

i tried to do my own once and it wasn't to bad but could have been better.

I blued a barrel from a muzzleloader kit. Turned out pretty good - I used the Beechwood Casey stuff, but it does look "home-done." Which isn't bad considering what I was going for.

If you want it done professionally I'd take it to Ahlman's. I've had stuff worked on there before and they do an excellent job.

I checked out Ahlman's site, looks like they have a good system set up to totally refinishing a gun, but it's definitely not cheap. I guess quality is what I am looking for so I will pay for it.

Is this true that if I have it professionally reblued/refinished it will decrease the value of it? If so I might hold off and just buy another A5 for the money it would cost me to totally refinish it.

[This message has been edited by 311Hemi (edited 08-05-2004).]

I can't say for sure on the value decrease, but this is not the first time I've heard that. You may want to call someone at a place that deals with them and check it out. Maybe the gun library at Cabelas? Good luck and nice gun by the way.

Well, thats why this site is great, you always learn something new.

Called the gun library and they said that it would decrease the value around 50% (depending on what the condition is currently)!!!!

Now I am planning on leaving it alone and just buying another newer A5, even though I don't plan on ever selling it.. Might as well leave the value where it is and spend the money on another gun, and have a backup!!

Thanks for the input...much apprecitated!