• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone been on Yellow lately? I'm heading there for opener and was curious what the water temp is at. Is there much of a "Friday before" crappie bite on that lake? We've been like many out there on opener the last few years and done very poor for walleyes. Hopefully this year's early spring will get the bite going.

Thanks

Last May, we picked up some crappies on the northwest side of Little Yellow Lake....real shallow water (2-3 FOW), near some lilly pads if I remember correctly. The few walleyes we did catch were out in front of the Yellow River outlet...in the big lake...drifting and trolling down the northwest shore with leeches.

I've heard about some nice crappies in Yellow - yet to find them the last two years.

I have had some luck with walleyes in May.

How did folks do last weekend?

If you have a couple of spots - I'll share mine...

CJROMANO,

We ended up catching 7 walleye between two boats,only three being keeper size. We caught a couple near the Yellow River inlet on he SE side of the lake in about 9ft of water, and a couple in the NE corner of the lake in about 9ft. We also managed a 46" musky. Sat. was pretty darn windy, so we didn't spend as much time as we wanted on the water.

Chris -

You get around on the Fishing MN site - huh? Hopefully there is no nutjob from Iowa following us on this one...

I can't find your email address. Mine is [email protected]. Send me your address and some thoughts, and I'll share my spots. I'm leaving early Friday am.

Chris

We ended up with 36 eyes with 29 being legal for 5 guys ...we quit fishing when the fog cleared sunday morning ...I had a total of 55 pike for the opener and 6 eyes (1 sublegal) 1 hybred muskie and a dandy crappie all while trolling rapalas (lost 6 rapalas to toothy critters)

I should go back there this weekend and fish the St Louis during the week next week

Chris -

I have been out in the metro the last few weeks. I like Prior around this time. Stick to the lower end of the lake (it is called Upper I think), in some of the bays by the bridges. I slowly troll with small jigs. Mixed bag of crappies, walleyes, bass, etc.

I also like Bald Eagle. The point near the north end is good, but get a bit away from it (12 feet or so) either to the north or the south. Bobbers have worked best for me.

Also South Center - the bay in front of the launch (I think it is the north end, behind the real deep water). Troll cranks.

Any tips for Alice?

Chris

OHHHHH!!!! I will go back to my buddys cabin on Yellow soon ....Im just trying to recover from the 70 mile detour i had to take on the way down there from Duluth...now that i know the back roads a little better its not that bad of a detour

Dont diss the St Louis River ,,,as it is a great fishery and a lot closer to home for me (catching fish is fun ...filling my truck with gas its as much fun ) I dont think I will catch as many pike on the SLR but Im sure more eyes will be on the end of my line (and Im sure I will loose more tackle)

be Safe....be Sportsman....be Ethical

Randy