• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Single Mantel Propane Lantern (Coleman) BOOM!

Question

I brought an extra Lantern for my Fish House. It is an Coleman Single Mantel Coleman and it lights with a...boom. There dosen't seem to be any adjustment to the ignitor. It scares the H E double L outta me. Anybody else have this same problem? Any advice? I have to let the thing fill with a little bit of gas before it will ignite. It sure makes a heck of a boom before it ignites.

3 answers to this question

Sounds like delayed ignition. The generator may be dirty or the ignitor is faulty. If the generator is dirty or plugged, the gas will not have enough pressure to reach the ignitor in time for it to ignite. The gas builds up until it reaches the igniter. Or if the igniter is faulty, the gas builds until the ignitor sparks when it wants to, thus igniting when the gas has built up. Clean and check the generator and oriface or replace the ignitor. To rule out a faulty ignitor, lite it with a match.
------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 02-26-2002).]

You must have the Coleman Northstar. When I first lit mine I was surprised that I wasn't covered with glass shards... it sure scares the wizz outta ya!!! I've clean mine as much as you can and it still goes of with a bang!!! Real nice lantern tho!!
- nunzio

I've never seen a lantern that doesn't boom. The size of the boom just depends on how long you let the gas run before lighting it.