• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with transducer on ice ??

Valv

Question

Hi, as a good "rookie" I am starting to looking into ice fishing, 'couse it's the season.
Reading some postings, somebody mentioned fishfinder transducers can read through ice.
I have a Garmin 160, and I tried it on ice but it didn't work.
Do I need a different transducer ??

Thanks.

Val

7 answers to this question

(Flasher Search Tip's)

Carry a large ziplock bag and fill it with water. Place your transducer on the bag and it should shoot through most early clear ice. A sandwich bag with water can work too if you have a rubber band tight around the transducer cable and retain a fair amount of water in the bag.

Some times you can shoot through a Styrofoam minnow bucket if you slop a bit of water under it. Make sure you keep the face of the transducer clean and free of air bubbles!

Turn your gain up high and then tune it down tell a definable bottom is found. On very good clear ice you can track fish in this manner.

Perch or walleye may look like the bottom is bouncing a bit, you see it bounce, fish it!

Foggy white ice has lot's of air trapped in it and won't work well.

As ice thickens though you will need to drill holes.

Hope this is a help.

BE............><,,>

*I am not kidding when I say this* If that don't work, try hauking a loogy on the ice, then putting the tranducer in it. You need a wet ice surface to read through it. You can do this with the baggy idea, the loogy, or by breathing heavily on the ice till a little puddle forms.

I don't know about using a ziplock bag. Knowing that you almost always need water to read thru ice, I fill an old pop bottle with water. It is small and will not spill.