• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor wiring in line fuses?

dfv87

Question

The other nite while fishing my Bow mount trolling motor just quit...I checked all my connections and switches and nothing worked so I tried to check the inline fuse on my battery cable...Broke the fuse off in the platic...yeah it sucked...so I take out the Leatherman and cut the wire and inline fuse off and hook up directly to finish league night!...Now how hard are inline fuses to hook up and can a Banker with "limited", ok zero, mechanical ability do it?

7 answers to this question

man ! no tuffy here! you will need a wire stripper to strip the wires and to crimp the sleeves),crimp sleeves the proper size.and one or two inline fuse or fuses( 12 or 24 v sys.), and some shrink tubing. cut the tubing long enough to cover your splices. strip about a 1/4 in of cover off of the wire ends.slide on pc of tubing over the end,slide the crimp sleeve on making sure the wire is inside it. crimp it. do the same to the other end. slide the tubing over the splice and heat carefully with a cig. lighter. do the same thing to the other end. if you have a 12v sys. your done. if you have a 24 then you get to do it one more time. if it was me' i would use breakers instead of fuses. mount them some where that you can reach. if they kick out, you just reset them. del

Because of glass fuses liking to break in in-line fuse holders, I got some automotive-style fuse holders (they use the fuses with the two prongs and plastic tab that push in / pull out of the fuse holder). I think I got them at Radio Shack. I carry a few spares in my boat and if I need to replace an in-line fuse holder these are what I use.

Hiya,
Cheesehead's right on. Get a 50 amp breaker. Either put it inline close to the battery or right on the battery post (depending on what kind you find). Very easy to install, and MUCH nicer than fuses. You can find them at most decent outdoor stores - Gander, etc...

RK

I used a car stereo fuse holder, 50 amp, plus it's water proof, and all I a to do it strip the wire and use a little allen wrench to tight some nuts onto the wire to hold the fuse in place, might have take 2 minutes.

Strider,
I ended up with the same thing, from my local NAPA store. The guys there really helped me out by explaining the differences in each choice. Went with the fuse for the waterproof reason.

[This message has been edited by dfv87 (edited 07-21-2004).]