• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

refinishing a trailer

say_der

Question

I've got an old boat trailer I'd like to refinish. It's got a lot of small pits and surface rust on it.

Do I need to remove all that rust first - before I paint it? I'm guessing that if I go over the rust the corrosion will continue.

Also, would Rustoleum paint work on it? Or a roll on truck bed liner so it wouldn't be slippery?

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

I'd get it sandblasted. Sandblasting takes all the paint and rust off. It would take only an hour to get it done. Usually about 75-100 bucks to get it done.

I'm a sandblaster in Janesville, MN. I've done about 30 boat trailer for the last 6 years. I've done em all, semi trailers, flat beds, car frames, just about anything that's outta steel.

We also do priming and painting too as well. If you're interested getting it sandblasted, let me know I can help you.

mountaindew

My father-in-law has a sandblaster. I think he'd help me with it, but he's busy and I didn't want to bother him with it.

Any other options? I was thinking if I wanted all the rust off just rubbing it down to the bare metal with steel wool might work? I don't mind the manual labor.

Sand it down and apply the Herculiner product to it, it's easy to apply, inexpensive, won't rust out in 2 years like a new paint job will, and it you won't slip on it when walking on the rails.

Use a wire wheel on your drill to remove the loose paint and rust. Use spray can primer and paint. That would be the easiest and cheapest option and would get you by for a couple years before you have to do it over.

If your looking for something that will last longer, then sandblasting would be the way to go. Your not going to want and skimp on the primer and paint job if you go this route. The bedliner would also be good in with this option.

Say_der, You must get paid by the hour! Either get it sandblasted or use an 4 1/2" angle grinder. You will use SOOOOO many discs on a Dremmel to get the job done! Even on a 4 1/2" grinder it'll take lotsa time. Go the Sandblasting route, you won't be sorry. Now, lets' talk paint. I painted a two wheel trailer with "Herculiner" paint. The thing ALWAYS (yes, ALWAYS) looks dirty. Wash it,it dries and looks Dirty. Fantastic durability, but yes, DIRTY. Something to consider. IMO

A dremel tool...........

You might get done when the snow starts to fall!!! grin.gif

If you are going to do it yourself, use a DA (dual action) sander with an aircompressor. You will need a compressor with atleast 5hp to be able to run consistently. Anything smaller, you "might" get done when the leaves change colors!!!!!!

For the money, I would get it sandblasted!!!

Grinding with any type of equipment is not going to remove the rust as thouroughly as sandblasting will. Also, DEFINITELY make sure you put an acid-etch or at least some kind of zinc primer on the bare metal before you paint or put on the Herculiner. The herculiner only provides mechanical adhesion, which will not prevent rust from spreading if the pits aren't 100% rust-free or if you ever get a chip. These primers each privide chemical adhesion, chemically bonding themselves right into the metal which will keep rust from spreading beyond it's starting point.
The reason Herculiner always seems so "dirty" is that it's very coarse and full of pores that the dirt get's into and won't come out. We've been using a product out here at the shop for the last year that we've been really happy with. It's similar to the bedliner, but less "gritty" and much less porous. We've done a number of trailers with it and we've had really good luck with it. Good luck with the trailer, if you have any more questions, give us all a holler.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

Say-der your gonna scrub your driveway with a toothbrush next after the trailer is done Right? Man I can't imagine haveing the time or patience to do that job with a dremel tool.

I figure if I get a big enough wire brush it wouldn't take me a terribly long time.

Dep. Griz - thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

[This message has been edited by say_der (edited 07-30-2004).]

Rust Buster is not available to private parties apparently. To quote the online contact, "For Commercial Metal Buildings only"
This statement conflicts with the websites info about the product.

I tackled the same project two years ago. I thought I could use the drill/wire wheel but it was a very slow process and I think it would have burned out my drill. I picked up a cheap 4 1/2inch angle grinder and a wire cup brush all for under $50. I totally stripped the intire trialer, took about 3-4 evenings after work. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that does body work so i took the cleaned up trailer to his place, he sprayed it with Gray Rustolium thinned down to where it would come out of his gun. It looks really good. I then covered the tongue with Hurculiner and it's great. I'm sure you could just get the Rustolium in a can and spray it yourself if you wanted to. I figured I had a total of about 20 hours just cleaning up the trailer to paint but I did get some satisfaction out of doing it myself. Good luck and I hope your's turns out as well as mine did.