• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need new ice rod

widetrack

Question

While setting the hook on a fish last weekend I broke my favorite ice rod (custom sage rod) in two. It was enough to make a grown man cry. It was the best ice rod I've ever had my hands on.

In looking for a new rod, I've been considering a new red barn rod, and I'm looking for some feedback from anyone that has used one.

Thanks for any feedback.

15 answers to this question

I like Berkely Genz Lightning Rods. They are made of great components and have awesome sensitivity. I own four and use them everytime I go out. ThornBrothers also makes a decent rod. High quality graphite and fuji parts. These are a little spendy though. Genz rods run for about $30.
Good Fishing, Matt.

I have a couple of Cabelas XML rods. 28" medium, and medium heavy. Have the Genz rods also but I like the XML's the best. I have not seen the Red Barn Rods, but I have seen the Thorne Bro's, I think the XML's are every bit as good if not better and a little cheaper. Someone said they use the Loomis blank in the XML's but I don't know. Whatever the case I am planning on buying an extra, just incase.

Be careful on ordering from redbarnrods.com. I ordered a walley rig in August and still have not received it. See post earlier. Best bet would be to order it from fishing minnesota so that you have someone else working on your behalf.

I have both a Red Barn rod and a Genz rod and like them both. The Red Barn rod is a little more sensitive, but also twice as much as the Genz. I think you would be happy with either. I also ordered a walleye rigging rod from Frank at the Ice Fishing show and he had it ready for me to pick up at the Walleye Show in Shakopee, so I can't knock his service. He does make a great fishing rod.

Scott