• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sealing a crack/ding in Aluminum Boats

can it be luck?

Question

Hi fellas,
I somehow managed to acquire a 2" crack in my Alumacraft boat some time back. The crack appears to be from hitting an object, I think it was done while trailering the boat. The crack/ding is in a smooth part of the boat and is not a hole.
I worked as a fabricator for a aluminum window/curtain wall manufacturer. The job required aluminum wire feed welding as well as MIG welding, so I'm familiar with welding. I'm thinking the aluminum may be a little thin to weld(1/8"?) so I'm looking for alternatives. I applyed a epoxy which the company used on corner keys on sash and window frames. The epoxy is strong as heck and hard as a rock but the pounding from waves caused it to "peel away" from the boat. Any types of sealants to use?
I just noticed it today and figured with the amount of knowledge and experience in this site it would be easier to just throw it out in this forum. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, CIBL

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

8 answers to this question

I remember seeing an infomercial for a product called Alumiloy or Aluminoy or something. It actually looked practical. All they used was a propane torch to heat up to 700 degrees or so, to apply the rod material. They showed repairs start to finish, including a boat repair, aluminum prop repair, etc. They used a grinder to shape the repair. They did not have any talk testimonials, they simply showed actual repair processes.

I have never used the product. But it really did look like a practical way to make alum. boat repairs. I would guess they might have an internet site. Or maybe someone else on this site has used the product to give an honest opinion of it.

Or maybe since the "crack" is small I can use one of those little Winni eyes you...I should say your old lady's been catching up in there.....And forget about it! LOL! grin.gif She did out fish you I do believe?

Thanks for the advise people....You too Chris! grin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-09-2004).]

the boat can be welded witch would be the best but you will need an expert welder, and a low amp machine. if possible wedge a steel plate under the crack this will keep the molten aluminum from falling through,do not use aluninum,then weld from the inside.One problem now is that you have put epoxy on it and that will make the welding even more difficult.good luck

Can it be luck, If you don't get it welded there is an bonding adhesive I use in the autobody field to bond panels. It dries rigid is an excellant sealer and will not peel from steel or aluminum. 3M Panel Bond #8115. Stop by your local bodyshop it only takes a few minutes to apply and a 24 hour cure. You could buy the product yourself but the applicator gun is about $100.

Fishing is Life.

Thanks again fellas for your time and knowledge! Much appreciated!
I think I'm gonna go to the local bodyshop as bodyman suggested. Regardless, all good tips from all!

PS: Nice comeback Chris! Good guide...........LOL grin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-10-2004).]