• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water Reports - 2006

Tuzzy and I fished Delta Sunday morning and didn't do much on keepers but caught fish 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. it was hot out there and the highlight of the day was bumping in to CNY Frank and Tiff in the Skeeter. Too hot...

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the water Sat. noon till 6pm on Oneida, I launched at the end of South Bay round and took the little one with me. We spent most of our time targeting any sunfish still spawning and we got a dozen hogs. We must have caught 20 smallmouth and what a blast to see the 7 year old fighing 3-4 pounders on his snoopy rod. grin.gif I was surprised we didn't get more sunfish though, does anyone know what the temps are in the lake now?

Don't know about Oneida but it was 57 on Delta. You had some fun there Sunday Lee I would have enjoyed watchin those bronzbacks trying to trash the snoopy rod. I read some little girl got a 9 pd. walleye on a barbie fishing pole. Built tough I guess.. I hate summer already man bring on the ice!

Tim,

It was fun to see him fight them and watch that rod bend, I was just waiting for it to snap. lol

Are the crappies spawning yet in Delta and do you ever get into them and the sunfish / bluegills?

Craig got into some nice 12-13" the other day and limitted out, found a needle in a haystack and went back the following day and they weren't there, look for weed edges and keep working them, kinda weird there not located on the structure, light current and weeds.

Here is a report from Timmy with a pic:

Rob and I got out for a little night fishing on Wednesday evening. I caught two short eyes and Rob caught a couple of beauties and here's one of them.

swalleye5gu.jpg

Jay and I fished Whitney Point thursday morn.Not to much happening.Did not catch a crappie ,caught 1 small perch and 1 small eye,6 rock bass and 6 small mouths.Water temp 74 and showers.

Here is another report from Tim and Tuzzy...I am still trying to get Timmy trained on posting pics!!! Looks like you two had a great day....nice fish!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tuzzy and I limited out Sunday! Eyes caught were 15" to 22" and we caught 7 total we had a nice walleye chop from east south east and we caught the beauties on a variety of baits Roques, Huskies, Challengers and Walmart. I had a couple of smallmouth and Tuzzy had quite a few more on than I had. His problem was trying to get em in the boat, LOL... Couldn't get any eyes on the jigs but I didn't stick with jigs long. The water had a bunch of algae in it so even though the water was pretty clear it was obvious we needed to throw the bigger cranks and blue was the key... We had a blast Tuzzy and I are looking forward to our next trip! Would be us if there was some sort of mishap and I got stung between my toes at the launch, This morning it feels like a golf ball underneath my toes. Tuzzy is getting the hang of it....With that southeast wind ripping he put her about 8" from the" V " was proud of that, he was scared had to back her up a couple times but did great on final entry. Thanks Dark Cloud :^)

1a5fu.jpg

1b2lr.jpg

1c5vw.jpg

1d5dc.jpg

1e0hy.jpg

Thanks Johnny... We and I mean Jay and I are never going to figure out this picture thing. You need an engineering degree (wink). Thanks for taking the time to type it but I was real frustrated trying. My brother-in-law and family are up from Oklhoma the next couple of weeks. Had graduation party to go to Saturday and nephews birthday party. Congratulations to North Shore's son Michael he graduated this weekend as well.

Good job guys! Stick with me and you'll be ok, LOL. We got rained out here. Was gonna go down the cabin for the day/overnight but the rain wont stop and the river has come up a few feet. May go looking for some mushrooms, dad found some chantrels the other day...

Well I spent 200 smackers today, Bass Pro had a sweet deal on a combo bait cast $70 off 38-950-402-05 ordered some David Fritts sure set XRAP dressed trebles and from Cabela's 10# Fireline on sale, 1/2 oz. Rip-N-Shads, Real Image Sinking Minnows 4 3/4" and 3" and 4" swim shads. Rosa is gonna have my butt when she see's this on the next statement. Z thanks for checking that rod out for me. Tuzzy and I are looking for a sick day sometime next week to get on the Big O...

Hey Timmy,

Save some money for ice fishing, Ok? You still gotta buy some gold 1/12 oz Kastmasters and replenish your gold YBD's, right?

Any way, I must say those are some nice eyes you and Tuzzy caught. Just tell Tuzzy to make sure he holds the fish more sideways because in that one pic, we see more of the belly of the fish!! LOL !! I know that he is still getting over the harassment when he kept those 6" perch this past winter, LOL.

I am planning a trip to Hemlock Lake this Friday with my father in law in search of some big smallies. The last three times we had plans, it either rained or the wind was too much to fish. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Hey, what is up with the Cardinals?

I can't believe this rain, it' ridiculous, 4 games cancelled yesterday 3 slow-pitch and one fast-pitch. I never saw our field under water like that, you could catch bass in it. laugh.gif We haven't gotten the winds yet but I'm starting to feel like were living in Seattle. Hey my NY Outdoor News has a picture and photo of Cuba Lake on the back and I thought of you bud. Good luck if you get out this weekend you could use some line stretching therapy. My YBD's are well stocked and gold kastmasters are low they need to be restocked, but not for a while.

The Cardinals are in an 8 game skid and have been lit up by the only division in baseball that's playing like major league teams and there whipping up on the NL Centrals double A teams... Seriously my money is on the AL Central to win the whole darn thing, they pitch, defend and play punishing baseball the way it ought to be played. I like Ozzie Guillen too., screw the mainstream sports writers. LaRussa I am seriously close to having this guy fired. And if Guillen gets fired by the Paloes I want him we need a little controversy in our dugout because right now it looks like a morgue. grin.gif

Cant wait to fish tomorrow as I looked at the dark cloudy skies coming into work and I said man does it feel and look like walleye weather. I hope we have a little of this tomorrow. Dark Cloud 40 clams for the wolfies and be careful driving up tonight, see you in the morning!

Roger that partner hoping here you can grab a couple of winks before heading north. Tuzzy just left my office. Diner 0530 Launch 0610 - 0615. Franky may surprise us with a visit with his skeeter, his motors fixed and ready to roll. I'll load up in a few minutes as it's almost 3 p.m. See you in the morning. I will bring my cell phone and call you from the diner to let you know were on the way if you fall asleep and can't get to breakfast. Later...

I hope that you guys have better weather than my father in law and I did today at Hemlock....got there around 1:30pm, got to our spot around 2, and then a thunderstorm kicked us off around 3:15. Needless to say, we just found the smallmouths and patterned them around 3pm---sharp breaks in 20-22 FOW with a 1/4 oz brown jig head (custom painted by me of course LOL!) and a 3" Caterpillar Grub in watermelonseed color. No pictures of the bass (most were small) because we thought we had another 4-5 hours left on the lake. Any way, we did snap a few non fish pics while out there.....

100260617np.jpg

Beautiful Hemlock Lake---no cottages or homes around the lake at all, no water skiers, no big boats, just a peaceful setting.

100260512da.jpg

My father in law trying for a bite....

100260716hz.jpg

100260810uo.jpg

The highlight of the short day was seeing a Bald Eagle circle above us in search of an easy meal before the storm...the pic didn't turn out too good, but we were hurrying to get off the lake.

C-Ya!!

Johnny check your email our Oneida report is heading to you right now, thanks for posting it. Those are some nice pictures John and you can't beat good small mouth action either. My face got a little sun burned but at least i kept the sun off the top of my head. We will give it another go on Monday.

Here you go, bro....looks like you guys had a good time. The wind here was kicking at 20+ most of the day, glad to see that you were able to make it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well we had a light south east wind to start and then it died and then after an hour or so went hard from the west. We picked up 4 keepers. Dark Cloud had big fish with this nice 22" and I caught two a 17 and 17.5" and Tuzzy had a 16.25". We had a fun day throwing cranks and shooting the breeze. Dark Cloud provided some nice kielbasa, cheese, and beers at the launch at the end ofthe trip. Tuzzy said your welcome anytime Jay. Thanks for coming up, buddy. I had two nice Venny burgers when I got back home thanks for the care package!

16dk5.jpg

29re1.jpg

36qs.jpg

Here is a report from CNY Tim today.....

-----------------------------------------------------

Well it was a gorgeous day on the water but the fishing was not very good. One short walleye out in the deep water on a Tuzzolino special olive/ brown bucktail tipped with a crawler. The shallow bite was non-existent except for a couple of smallmouths. We missed a few fish in the deep water too at least we were getting bites and stayed there for most of the day. The picture you see is CNY Frank and his 20' Skeeter,. Frank spent most of his time on the water chasing smallies and caught a few. Pre- bass tournament fishing boats were in quite a few places. A lovelyly girl from Cornell doing the fish survey asked us some questions on the way out. It was a good time regardless of the fishing having breakfast with Frank and Tuzz and hitting the water.

frank5rs.jpg

Nice pic! The boat looks in good shap for being 11 years old . . .must be from keeping it covered. Managed to pull 3 smallies twice in locations that the pros could see . . both times they pulled in behind me throwing "jigs" to my topwater, checking out the bottom and scouting their electronics. Talked to both; nice guys and very friendly. I don't think you can give info to them or they can solicit, but they could see the lure I was using and they were watching me closely to see what I was doing. Would have had a nice 5 fish limit around 16 lbs if it was a tournament. Weather looks like it will be perfect for the BASS Elite on Oneida. Really big names going to be here . . .Van Dam, Iaconelli, Clunn, Wirth, Rojas, Martens, Thliveras, Hill . . .just to name a few. But all those names can't beat breakfast with the boys!!

We could have caught some smallies if Tuzzy wanted to run up to the break wall area in front of Big Bay Marina my favorite place to bounce a tube wink.gif Franky I have my combo and it is extreme wink.gif gonna spool her up tonight and tomorrow I will shoot down to Muck Rd and launch some practice casts. I can't believe how light this outfit is. Talked to Rob yesterday and he does want me to rap mono on first and then tie the fireline, something about it helps to cushion it or something. The Fritts hooks are in! Only one word can describe them, "nasty" these could be a new favorite of mine off my cranks smile.gif... Now I'm ready for darago!

Timmy - monday we slipped over to Bass Pro from the cottage as it only about a half hour. Saw that combo you ordered, that high speed ratio was nice. I blew a quick 50 on plastics - they have an awesome selection of that stuff there.

Caught a ton of perch and gills at the cottage and some real nice smallies. AB got stuck at work and didnt make it but the rest of his family was there...

Sat was fun guys looking forward to that again...

I know Jay I have to get down there and check it out. Did you find that blue extreme bag like Tuzzy had? Can't wait to practice with my new stick tonight. Hey had a couple of snorers to umpire last night 37-22 and 23-8. I thought I was never gonna get out of there. Tuzzy is up ain the air this weekend about where were going, weather is supposed to be nice though...

Tank - Did you read this? Are you coming up?

http://www.pgatour.com/info/company/story/9542715

Johnny thanks for the videos bud I enjoyed them. The northern pike girl was a little skinny for my liking she looked finlandish to me... grin.gif

Good luck this weekend if you guys get out...