• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex and/or Polar Vision

Question

I am trying to decide whether or not I need the Polar Vision handheld sonar if I get a Vexilar? I read somewhere that the Vexilar only shoots through clear ice but the Polar Ice shoots through all types of ice. Will the Vex shoot through all kinds of ice also? Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

I am trying to decide whether or not I need the Polar Vision handheld sonar if I get a Vexilar? I read somewhere that the Vexilar only shoots through clear ice but the Polar Ice shoots through all types of ice. Will the Vex shoot through all kinds of ice also? Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
Thanks in advance!

I use both. Call me spoiled I guess. I have been using the vexilar for many years. I just bought the Polar Vision a couple of months ago. I do a lot of pike fishing and use tip-ups. I am usually not trying to locate fish. I love the Polar Vision for that. it is more compact and easier to operate. I would say it is about the same as far as being able to read through the ice. The Vexilar is a little quicker of course. if I am fishing for anything other than Pike, I would not use my Polar Vision. You cannot compare the Polar Vision to a Vexilar when it comes to locating fish. Buy the Vexilar first and buy the Polar Vision when you get the extra dough saved up!

Yeah, I remember those days. We used to scrape the bottoms of our pockets to buy 3 cases of Pfeiffers returnable bottles and two scoops of minnows for 10 bucks. We hoped like heck to catch fish because we had to eat too! I still think we made the right decision. We didn't starve usually and the Pfeiffers wasn't that bad. Actually, I kind of miss those days.