• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have information on reel repair?

fishtrap3

Question

8 answers to this question

HI FISHTRAP3, I DO MY OWN CLEANING/REPAIRS. ONCE YOU TAKE A FEW APART AND PUT UM BACK, ITS GETS PRETTY EASY. DON'T LOOSE YOUR OWNERS MANUAL WITH THE BREAKDOWN DIAGRAMS...(WOULD BE NICE TO FIND THOSE ONLINE SOMEHOW!)

IF YOU NEED PARTS, TACKLE PLUS ON LAKE STREET MPLS EITHER HAS IT OR CAN GET IT!

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Thanks dark30....i have taken mine apart and cleaned them up, and got the drags working properly again....i was looking at learning more and maybe being able to do my friends and coworkers reels, for a little extra bait and tackle money

Hey Fishtrap3,

I'd be one to follow suit on DARK30's suggestions, since I'm prone to figuring things out myself. I've discovered that learning by experience is the best method (at least for me). I've pulled every one of my reels apart at least once for cleaning or minor maintenance. In the process, I've learned what to do and what not to do. You can read books/literature/etc. but until you screw up, things often don't sink in.

If I were thinking of getting into reel repair as a hobby or side-business-for-a-little-extra-$$, I'd probably start by hitting garage sales in the not so distant spring and picking up bargain's to practice with. Heck ... spend $3 on somebody's throw-away and figure it out -- you've got a deal. Goof up and learn a valuable lesson -- cheap lesson vs. your buddy's $70 Ambassadeur!

Actually, I've considered the same thing as a sidelight myself; that's how I'd start getting serious about it.