• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies arriving at pre-spawn areas!!!

Heard from a few places that the crappies are in to the pre-spawn schools and is getting me excited enough. Taking the ranger to the dealer on Monday and hopefully will be out by the end of next week. Get the open water gear ready because its coming now. Gonna be a great feeling!

keep your eyes on the northern bays. we've been fishing a little bay off a marsh for the last two weeks here. it warms first and the panfish move in til the rest of the area warms up.( the fresh crappies do taste good!)

to me? a little over 2 hrs. but it isn't worth it for now.this little bay i'm fishing is only about 70ft X 40 ft, with a 20 ft channel leading out to a marsh. it is not uncommon to have 15 + people fishing there at one time!

I'll be spending a couple weekends in Iowa this summer, mostly towards the nothern border, but if any of you are looking to chase a few fish on the Cedar let me know... or a surrounding northern body of water...

PikeBay,

I went to school at ISU for two years and worked east of Des Moines the past two summers. I still head down there every other weekend (from St.Paul) while my wife is finishing up school in Des Moines. I tell my wife I come down to see her, but I am really there to fish. Just kidding! I have permission to fish a few ponds that are on the property where I worked and the report of crappies moving already is getting me excited to get down there this weekend. Great panfish down in Iowa. I caught my largest gill and largest crappie from Iowa. The warm weather this week should really get them going down there! I have never ventured around Ames for fishing, but I have fished Big Creek and Saylorville with great success.

It is great to hear a report as to the current crappie conditions for that area. It helps so I know what to expect when I get down there. Keep them coming!

Thank you,

Tom

This one is for Matt

Ames is in the same general area of where I have been telling you that I go every time I go down to Iowa. I highly recommend you going down there if you have the time since I know how much of a pannie guy you are! Heck, we could even make a trip down there sometime.

-Tom

Sounds Good guys!! Can't wait to put the Ranger in the water for the first time this year. Never been a huge panfish chaser but need to do some more so if anyone is around here don't be afraid to drop me a line about hitting the water.

Quote:

Sounds Good guys!! Can't wait to put the Ranger in the water for the first time this year. Never been a huge panfish chaser but need to do some more so if anyone is around here don't be afraid to drop me a line about hitting the water.

Hey Pikebay,

I lived in Ames for a few years. Ever hit Hickory Grove this time of year?

Yeah its tough to fish but there are some biguns in there. Last year caught a nice 19 inch largemouth, 14 inch crappie, and a 20' walleye out of there. Always thought that there could be walleyes in there just amazing to see it when it cam out of there. They all went back so they are still in there. There just isn't much structure to fish off of but it holds some big fish.

I am thinking about going out there on sat.

PikeBay,

You were definately right about the crappies staging up! I was in Des Moines this weekend and made sure that I got out Saturday after hearing your report. Since it was cloudy, breezy, and cool in the morning they were holding right off the first break. Luckily that was within casting distnce for me. Despite the weather, they were aggresive. Can't wait until I am down again two weeks from now! They should be up by then for sure. Here are a couple of the bigger crappies and a gill that was hanging with them ...

1DSC00534.JPG

1DSC00541.JPG

1DSC00546.JPG

1DSC00538.JPG

Thankyou angain for posting the crappie conditions!