• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Handheld GPS

Question

I am looking for some guidance from anyone that has used a handheld GPS. I would like to purchase a model that will interface with LakeMaster Lake Map Fishing Software. Something in the range of $250 to $300 should be sufficient. What make and model would you suggest?

6 answers to this question

I purchased a Garmin 76 last fall. It is the "marine" handheld Garmin, without the Map features. They do have a Map76 that is more expensive. Not sure what maps it uses.
I could not be happier with the unit. Hooks up quickly, accurate to within about 6 feet (my test), floats, WAAS enabled (more accurate), waterproof, bigger screen (a huge plus that I neglected to consider), easy to navigate through menus, bigger buttons for cold or gloved fingers, excellent map zoom features, does not drain the batteries nearly a quickly as any other unit I have used, etc. Purchased at Reeds in Walker for $210. Good luck.

The waypoint management system Lakemaster uses will work with almost any current model GPS. I need to know what you expect from the GPS to give you any more info.

Rob

Thanks for your response AJ. That info is exactly what I was looking for.

Rob, I went back in the forum a few days and found some excellent information you had given on another post. Good stuff. I should have done that before creating this new post. What I want out of the GPS unit is to mainly mark locations (reefs, contours, etc.) and get back to them. I would also like the capability of downloading points from Lakemaster or another manufacturers software on new bodies of water. What is the advantage of mapping?
Thanks for your help

Mapping GPS unit show your position on a background map,much like the "you are here" maps you see in rest stops. The do work fine, but majority of the time fishing you are zoomed in too far to see the map. For your application I would reccomend the Garmin GPS 76 or the Magellan 315. The GPS 76 costs a little more than the Garmin 12, but like you read before it has some good features, it runs on 2-AA batteries vs 4 in the 12. And it floats, a big plus for water useage.

Rob