• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lac Seul Map

Every Summer we stay at the Silver Water Wheel Lodge. The service and fish production is second to none! As for a map, I bought one of Lac Seul at "The Border" in Int'l Falls; not the actual border, but there is a log sided store about two blocks south. In the back, they have brochures for graphite replica's and Maps (including Lac Seul). Hope this helps

Hudson Map Company, they sell maps for just about any where.

I have almost every section of that resivour now, so know where your located on the lake when you call them.

If your not sure or can't find a number I can look for my info and email you.

Other wise if you go through FT. Frances there is a bait store on the main road right across from the big lake or river that the road goes by.

They might have them as well.

Benny

Keep this in mind when reading any map or electronic chip maps of Lac Suel.

That Lac Suel is not a lake, but it is a resiviour.I have seen the water levels from year to year change as much as 8 feet.Some of the indians say it can change as much at 10 to 12 feet if the Canadian goverment wants it lowered or raised.

The maps and software are great referances though, will show you areas to be extra carful around.And will help you find the ledges, we found a ledge out in the middle of nowhere, went from 40 feet to 125 feet in one drop.

I would still be very cautious in your first few times motoring around up there.

Benny

Darn now I have another chip to buy oh dear. Hey thanks Benny for the tips on Lac Seul being a Res. we will keep that in mine hopefully we don't have a meaning with those rocks. I trust the resort will help us somewhat but I am trying to get a head start in planning. After all it is never too early to start planning.

Thanks for the help fellas. I will be checking back often the closer we get. I just wish I knew more about where we were going so I could ask more questions but as the time nears I will know.

IFFWalleyes,

Do you know what resort you are going to? That would help answer a few questions. Benny and I go to the same resort. I dont remember how long he has been going there, but this will be 19 years for me. I would echo his thoughts. I wouldnt trust any map of Lac Seul. Most of the bad spots are where you would expect them. However, that leaves some bad spots in places you dont expect them and those are the ones that will get ya. One year, we decided to have a sandwich and drift across this main body of water. Water was really deep...maybe 60 feet plus. We are just relaxing and eating and one of us looks over and there is a pile of rocks, 6 inches under the surface two boat lengths from deep water. That one scared the heck out of us. In our 18 years, we have hit 1 rock and busted the skag and one log with no damage.

I would never trust a GPS or "map" in terms of navigating around any lake in NW Ontario. I have a cabin on a nearby lake and as stated earlier the water level change so much. Year to year the level can change up to10 vertical feet. Theres a few reefs in front of my cabin that in low water years claim many lower units.

Best advice: go slow, have a spotter until you get familiar with the water. A bad combo is: no lower unit, 4 miles from camp, strong wind, and cold temps.

A lot of good info here on 'being careful'. The only contour maps that I know of are the Explorer Maps by Fishing Map Co. They aren't great for the Suel, but they are the only ones I know of with any type of contours. Most other maps are just topos (not that familiar with the newer Hudson though).

As far as the Navionics chip, it is NOT in 1 foot increments. It is a typo in their listing. At best, it is like a DNR/MNR/or Fishing Hot Spots style of data/accuracy.

Hope this helps,

Brett Erickson

www.thornebros.com

I guess the place we are staying is actually not so much a resort but a guy that has a couple cabins on the lake. I think that name is Makoon's or something like that I know his name is Rodger Bull. So I don't know if that means to any of you or not. Thanks for the help I realize that no map is perfect but I want to have something to go off of so I am not completely blind. I like the chip idea though even if the data is the greatest it is still going to be a starting point for me.

I probably is as I understand it he works for another resort but has a couple of his own cabins he rents. So that probably is correct. I guess the only think I really know for sure is that it is near Hudson. Any help is alway appreciated.

Codydawg -

I'm going with iffwalleyes in July as well.. we finally found out this week that it is the Roger Bull associated with Mahkwa outfitters... any info you have to offer would be great...

Thanks!

marine_man

iff,

I got one from fishingmap (Contact US Regarding This Word). It's as good as any I've seen from any bait shop or roadside stand. It has decent enough depth contours too. I think the section for around Mahkwa is the SouthWest section. I would recommend it. Obviously due to water level fluctuations no map or chip will be 100% accurate. I used it last year to pick out some spots that looked good and it worked great.

Regards,

It is important to remember that Lac Seul is not a lake but a reservoir and as such contour maps are not very reliable. The level of the reservoir is managed and can vary by as much as 15' so be aware.

Bob

jstirewalt- Are you sure the navionics map of Lac Seul has 1 foot contours? I didn't think there was any map that had real good contour information on Lac Seul, let alone 1 foot contours. Has anyone seen this or better yet used it yet?

The chip is sold in the Canada Hot Map Premium chip. I thought it was high definition to but after looking back it isn't. But my experience with chips are that often the depths are incorrect but the topo line for structure are correct and help to narrow the search down. If you know or suspect a sunken island it's much easier to find if you have a chip than trolling around looking for it on just the graph alone. But anyone using the chip probably has their depth finder on right next to it at least I always do. Before I roll north this summer I will have the chip in my unit. Now if you just plan to have the chip to help show where water hazards maybe so you can run WOT then I agree that one has to remember it is a reservoir otherwise it really should matter if you are using it for finding structure.

I have also a copy of the map that they have at Mahkwa lodge not great but it helps.

I have the Lakemaster Feedom map chip for northern Ontario. It doesn't have any contour at all. I still found it very helpfull last year in Lac Seul. It has all the land, points, islands, etc.....just no contour. You always know exactly where you are.

In your opinion, are the contours worth upgrading to the Navionics Chip

?

I would doubt it has any kind of sunken islands then or major transition areas which can be key locations that get skipped by those that don't know they are there. I guess I would think the more info the better. And since I have neither I will go with what ever will be able to help the most. I will let you all know what I think after I get a copy and have had it on the lake.