• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater camera's

Don317

Question

16 answers to this question

this is true. my friend and i take the camera out once in while in our permanent house on millacs. We keep the camera down one of holes turned off. When we pick up a fish on the vexilar, we turn the camera on. at night when the infra red lights are necessary, the fish are spooked immediately when the multicolor lights are turned on.

------------------
Don't let your meat loaf

WOW! GOOD QUESTION! Just yesterday I experienced the same thing. The Vex was loaded with crappie. The bite was real light and few and far between. I figured as long as I wasn't catching anything maybe I could learn somthing. Sure enough I did. I switched between the three choices of lights a few times just to see how much the lights helped or hindered. Next thing I know the fish are all gone, so I shut the camera off. Within a minute or two they were all back again. I tried this a couple times just to see if the test was accurate. Turn on HI VU fish go away. Turn HI VU off one minute later fish all seemed to return.

I do love my motorized camera control. Thats awesome!

Flapjack:
How clear is your picture with that camarea (day and night)(clear water and stained)?I'm thinking of ordering one, I like the motorized camara idea.

ELW
The OVS 500 underwater camera by Marcu technologies has this as part of the package.
It is a 10" arm that fits over the ice hole
that has a motor that turns the camera cable.On the monitor ,left and right arrow
keys allows you to turn the camera, plus on screen info as to direction. Great tool and a great underwater camera package. Look it up on their web.
Don317

------------------

The rotating arm is great! Takes time away from lifting and moving. I haven't had any occurances with scaring fish but have witnessed it happen a couple times when fishing with friends. You could try rigging the camera facing stright down?
Good Fishing, Matt.

I've done a bit of research on this and it seems that sometimes it bothers them and others not. Just have to test each situation and see how the fish react. Hows that for an answer.

Hogghunter:

The picture on the camera seems to pretty good. My buddy fishes with a Vista Cam,I've used as Aqua View in the past and I couldn't really say that any one was better than the other as far as picture quality. What I like about the Marcum is the screen size,portability, and the motorized camera control.

I have a OVS 300. Your post is correct. The red and green lights will spook fish but the IR will not. If you are fishing in clear water, instead of viewing fish from the side, tie the camera so that it is pointing downward and view your bait from 7 to 10 feet above (you will have to view closer during night time). This way the fish do not see your camera. This works very well at Mille Lacs.
Good fishing...

DMON
Web,s for underwater cameras..
marcumtechnologies.com
atlantis.com
aquavu.com
Lotsa places to buy..Joes in St. Paul,..
Cabela's, I guess what ever is the closest retail to ya.. Prices???? $200 to $600
Check the posts lotsa pro's & con's in the forum..
Don

I don't know this for a fact since I don't have the muliti color lights in my camera. But I think you really have to leave those lights on when your fishing you can't just flip them on anything that abrupt will spook them. I think that if you leave the lights on the whole time it is in the water you will be better than just flipping them on.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

on the aquavu's.....can all of them be used for Ice fishin or just the Ice pro Series?? cuz i would like 1 wit the Depht on the side...would be nice...if not...i guess i live......
any more info??
thanks

DMON
Tell ya what..IF ya want depth get yourself
a vexilar 18 or marcum lx-3 locator b4 ya buy a camera.. For 4 bills or so, you could have the best,just with out the picture.Or if ya already have a locator.check out the new 460 or 560 marcum camera. I think most fisherman will agree locator first, camera
second.a camera will just enhance what your locator has told ya already...
Don

well....right now i got....a Fishing Buddy 2200 which i use for fishin in the summer....and this will be 1st year for it on the ice ....so i guess...the camera doesnt have to have the detph......so the Ice Series camera is the way to go