• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Problem

Question

Can anyone tell me a good place to get a zipper replaced on a portable ice house. Had a little trouble getting out of the house on Sunday when I couldn't get the zipper open. It has now seperated all the way to the top.

8 answers to this question

I can only imagine someone trying to punch their way out of a canvas house. "Help, I can't get out!"....LOL

The only place I know is Canvas Craft in Anoka. I take it you tried bringing the zipper all the way to the bottom and starting it again?

I'm glad you brought that up, Tumbleweed. What kind of lube should one use on zippers on the canvas house? I didn't want to add some the other day in fear of ruining the canvas should some get on it. Vaseline??

I would tink that a shoe repair shop could also take care of the repair. I was in the suba diving industry for a number of years and we used a zipper lube on the water proof zippers of our dry suits. I would bet dive stores still carry it. It looks like a wax pencial and if I remember right the major component was bees wax.

I use a silicon spray on my zippers. It dries and leaves a slippery film.
Seems to work fine. I try to avoid products that stay wet or greasy as this may attract dirt.
Good Luck...
P.S some silicon sprays can harm some plastics. Read the lable.

I also use a silicon lube,but instead of spraying directly on the zipper,I spray it onto a small lintless cloth,then apply it to the zipper.This avoids overspray,and excessive amounts of lube. In most cases, a little bit will go a long way.