• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

Hemlock, I will be trying to go to canada on a fishing trip in late June 2009, but have 3 dui convictions but all are over 20 years old, do I still need to do the application. I sent my question to canada customs office in detroit but have not heard back from them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You would be best served to call one of the phone numbers posted on page 1 of this thread. The only people that can provide a definitive answer are Canadian Customs.

Based on what I've heard, at 20 years ago, I think you'll be ok without it, but if it were me I'd call.

marine_man

i've never been asked a question about arrests or convictions in all the times I crossed the border. I had a DWI arrest in 1986 that was reduced to "reckless driving", the case was sealed after the court appearance and the record was expunged after one year. I called before I went the first time in 1993 and asked if "arrest" constituted a "conviction" in Canada but never got a yes or no answer from the customs guy I spoke with or the implications of "expunged". All he said was "we have methods to gather information if you are challanged".

I called the canada customs office and they were not much help, does anybody know if I need to apply for admissibility if dui's are over 20 years old??? When you enter Canada can you just show them you passport or do you need dl as well

I would agree with similarisland. I've got a friend who's been through this. 0-5 years old = inadmissable 5-10, apply for "rehabilitation" permit. Anything older than 10 is fine. I got this answer somewhere along my travels. That's too bad you couldn't confirm this with a Customs Agent.

Canadian Customs now have access to records that were unavailable to them a year ago. March 12, I tried to cross the border at Baudette. I have (2) DUI's which are over thirty years old. They allowed me to enter after paying $200.00 for a temporary visitors visa. I think that you are really at risk, for their new border scam. I have visited Canada 80 times in the past twenty years without incident. I have spent in excess of $20,000 on these trips. My company imports between $100,000.00 and $150,000.00 a year in Canadian goods.

Personally, I do not care if they consider me a rehabilitated felon or not after thirty years. I will not undergo a degrading and humiliating process in order to spend more money in Canada.

Thiry years ago, DUI was not a felony in canada anyway. I feel sorry for the poor resort owners, they and their customers are the victems, and Canada is a country that I can stay out of in the future.

PDH,

Your drivers license information is cross referenced with your passport. When they enter your passport, they also get a copy of your drivers license abstract from your state, and this document has a record of every driving offense that you have ever committed (no matter what state. When I crossed and was held up, I had only gave them my passport.

Thanks for all the help on this everybody. I am leaning towards just showing up and seeing what happens as do not have time to fill out the paperwork and then wait for up to a year to SEE if I get approved or not. Any thoughts on this?? I am going with 5 buddies and do not want to cause any issues for them or myself. Who would think that dui's from 20+ years ago would affect you now. Any suggestions would be appreciated(accept the ones that say to stay home), have never fished in Canada and might never get another chance, so hope all goes well.

If all you have is a DUI that is 20 years old, you will be fine. No problems after 10 years. The thing most don't understand is, it is from the time you finished paying any fines and your sentencing is over, not the date of conviction. Don't worry about and come up with your buddies.

Hey guys, sorry in advance. I thought I had read all the posts pretty thoroughly, and visited some of the web sites linked here, but still can't seem to find the definitive answer. Can anyone tell me for a fact what is required for my 15 year old son to re-enter US this summer - does he need a passport or passport card, or not until he's 16? I thought I had read that under 16 they need their birth certificate is all, but couldn't verify. Your help is appreciated.

I personally wouldn't try to get into Canada with a DUI. I've had buddies get turned away, that had whole trips paid for at Totem Lodge, with one DUI. Also had another four guys, some with very old DUI's, drive to another crossing after getting turned away. They got in but it was after sneaking around and a half day of driving that did the trick.

I think if he is traveling with you, there is no problem. My son has crossed with his two teenage sons many times last year. If traveling alone however, he should have a letter of permission.