• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

I checked out what you need to give them, I am not sure it is worth it, maybe just go for it and hope for the best.

They want FBI background checks, finger prints, driving records, proof of fines paid, on and on and on. Good luck! They have gotton a little caried away with this.

MSchmillen, in my experiences with the rehab permit (I was there when a relative of mine had to get one), they didn't require all that stuff. It was quite painless, except for the $250 or whatever it was...definitely didn't require fingerprints, or anything more.

Hey Guys!!

Have a quick question- I am heading up through the I-Falls/Fort Frances border crossing on Friday. My friend I am going with doesn't have his birth certificate. All that he has is his valid driver's license with no DUI's and an EXPIRED passport. Can we expect problems getting through or are we good? Would another form of I.d. help?

Thanks,

Justin

I'm not sure about the expired passport, but I doubt it will work.

I think he's going to need a birth certificate...

Hemlock has the phone numbers posted on a earlier page (Page 1 I think) of this thread... it'd be worth a call to find out for sure.

marine_man

The wife and I go accross the border at Fort Frances about 25 times a year, including six times this year. we have never been asked for anything but a drivers license, which we always have out for them. We never carry a passport or birth certificate.

I own a landscape company and my truck has usdot numbers on it. Will this cause any problems crossing or should I just have someone else drive. Has anyone else taking a work truck all tatooed up across the boarder?

Thanks

chad

I've been in the lawn care industry and crossed numerous times with my truck, with logos. I've only been asked a few times over the past 10 year's "what I do for a living" No problems. I usually get asked about employment more when I come back to the states.

How far do they go back ? If a DWI is like 21 years old do you still pay a 250.00 rehab fee ? How would that be with a work visa ? I looked at the site you posted but didn't find these particular questions asked or answered .

Thanks for any info .

It never ceases to amaze me....more inconsistencies. WHat Wing Nut is saying is completely against everything I've ever researched. I have been told numerous times by Canadian Border Services Personnell that after 10 years, they are not concerned about DUI's. So, either that friend of Wing Nut's DUI was more recnent than his claimed 19 years, or the border services people are acting unethically.

(Not a shot at you at all Wing Nut, just clarifying that stories and people's accounts often times don't match up with what we've been told)

Hemlock,no offense taken.

I'm just stating a fact of our experience.The DUI in question was indeed 19 yrs as I went to school with this guy and remember the year he got it.(he was 19 at the time).It cost him $180 U.S. dollars to cross the border and we went on our way.I was in there when he paid it on his credit card. Once again, just telling of our experience last year.

Then, if I were your friend, I'd contest it somehow. I called Customs in Rainy River, ON yesterday and asked the question. I gave them a hypothetical like, "I've got some friends coming up this summer, one of them has a DUI from 1985, should that be a problem?

Answer: as long as that's his only offense, then "NO, that shouldn't be a problem"

So where are the checks and balances on this system?

When you say "only offense",what exactly is that pertaining to, DUI only?? It was his only DUI but I have no idea bout speeding tickets or anything else on his record.No chance of contesting it cuase we knew their laws before we entered and always said, "we'll pay the fine if we get caught."The rest of us chipped in on the fine.Oh, also they told him something bout writing your government and asking for a permissable document to enter on future trips.

i went into canada last may crossed in detroit at the bridge i had dl and birth certificate my girlfriend and her uncle had picked me up at the detroit airport sothe border guard played 20 questions with us then told us to pull over to the side and i had to go into the immigration office. To this day i dont know why but just guessing it was because it was my first time to canada because i have a spotless record. when returning my girlfriend took me back to airport via the tunnel crossing and once again played 20 questions. i mean this border officer asked me things like what time my flight was leaving how long i had been in canada,what i do for employment and since my flight wasnt leaving til 9 pm he even asked why i was going to detroit so early and what i was gonna do in detroit. I wanted to say NOYFB but i didnt just played the game like he expected. I'm going back in juneand this time im getting aa passport.

Kaz, that random 20 question bit and asking you to come inside is part of their randomness. Don't take it personally. They take training on their line of questions, and I, as have many, been through those questions. Just the angle they take at protecting (y)our borders.

Am I glad I found this post. I have a trip planned to Sioux Narrows in a few weeks. One of the members in our party has a DUI from 7 years ago with nothing else on his record. Apparently there isn't enough time to file the necessary paperwork to get him 'rehabilitated'. So, is it everyones opinion to just leave him home? frown.gif Is it possible to apply and pay the rehab fee at the border? Any feedback on this matter is much appreciated.

I'd let him go, but make it known if he gets turned around at the border he will not spoil your trip - he may spend some time alone at a motel in International Falls or Baudette.

I went across the border a month ago and they didn't ask. I like the Baudette/Rainy crossing, but they are probably all the same.

Information for Non-residents with Minor Criminality Offenses (includes DUI/DWI)

On June 28th Bill C11 will change the rules around rehabilitation for non-residents entering Canada who have minor criminal offenses in their past. As it is now, a guest with a minor offense on their record (no matter how long ago) must be rehabilitated or apply for a temporary 30 day entry to enter Canada. Rehabilitation can be handled through the Canadian Immigration offices in Fort Frances or Thunder Bay, as the processing times will be much slower at the Consulate (18 months and up). The offense must be more than 5 years old to rehabilitate. The 30 day pass is handled only at the port of entry, is for persons with offenses less than 5 years ago, and cannot be processed in advance. It is recommended that these persons call the Fort Frances office, prior to travel, and they will be given an indication of the likelihood of their admittance to Canada. Both rehabilitation and processing of 30 day temporary entries have an administrative fee of $200 CDN.

After June 28th, if the offense is older than 10 years it will be deemed to be rehabilitated. If it is between 5 and 10 years it can be rehabilitated by obtaining the forms and following the enclosed instructions. There is no charge for offenses under 5 years. The decision of admissibility is still up to the border officer on offenses under 5 years, but the chances are good for entry if they have only one offense, have called ahead, have a reservation at a resort, and have proof of that reservation with them (i.e. Confirmation letter). The guest should be told to be truthful and the information complete. They would have to pay $200 CDN administrative fee.

In all cases your guests should be told to handle themselves professionally and use good manners.

The hours of operation for the immigration office at the border are as follows. Fort Frances is 7 days a week, 16 hours a day. (8 a.m. to midnight)

Rainy River is 5 days a week, 8 hours a day (Times???)

For further information contact:

Canada Immigration Centre in Fort Frances (807) 274-3818 or Thunder Bay (807) 624-2158

From my experiences, I'd let it go. I mean, go for it. I have had several friends and relatives cross all with previoous DUI's...all more recent than ten years. All have "slid" through without incident. What the rule book states, and what actually transpires are sometimes two different things. But as stated, have your friend prepared to be sent packing.

*Note* not all of my friends/relatives have drinking problems. crazy.gif

Hemlock,

Thanks for all the research and info you share. I think this has been talked about previously in this thread, but I'd like to pose it again.

If someone has a DUI in 1991 (16 years ago) and then again 2004, what's the situation there? I know 1 more than 10 years ago is basically going to cost you a fine, but is the second one a "death sentence" as far as getting into Canada again?? Or can you apply for rehabilitation after 5 yrs on the second one??

Previous info seems pretty gray. Any black and white info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Hemlock,

Thanks for all the research and info you share. I think this has been talked about previously in this thread, but I'd like to pose it again.

If someone has a DUI in 1991 (16 years ago) and then again 2004, what's the situation there? I know 1 more than 10 years ago is basically going to cost you a fine, but is the second one a "death sentence" as far as getting into Canada again?? Or can you apply for rehabilitation after 5 yrs on the second one??

Previous info seems pretty gray. Any black and white info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Black and white- No

You need to look at the border patrol as simular to a conservation office, it's basically their call.

Quote:

From my experiences, I'd let it go. I mean, go for it. I have had several friends and relatives cross all with previoous DUI's...all more recent than ten years. All have "slid" through without incident. What the rule book states, and what actually transpires are sometimes two different things.

*Note* not all of my friends/relatives have drinking problems.
crazy.gif

If you plan to try crossing the border with a DUI or with someone who has had a DUI:

The main issue with border crossing and DUI's is that if you are asked to pull aside and are brought in and run through the system, they have access to check on your driving record.

Do not cross the border in a vehicle owned by a person who has had a DUI or other felony.

Do not cross the border in a dirty, junky looking vehicle. Keep the inside of the car tiddy as well.

Do not cross the border looking like you just crawled out of bed. Dress respectably.

Do not bring in anything that needs to be claimed.

Have your luggage neat and orderly so a visual inspection is easy.

Do not bring firewood.

Cross at a smaller crossing right away when they open (7:00am)

Get a passport and have all paperwork at hand at the border.

Relax and listen carefully when the border patrol is talking to you and keep eye contact with the patrol.

Quote:

But as stated, have your friend prepared to be sent packing.