• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

There are always 101 questions going on here in regards to border crossing, so I've decided to post this link that has good information from DUI's to firearms, to potatoes to pets....

This HSOforum is put together by the camp (resort) owners of the Kenora and northwestern Ontario area.

I've read through the information on the site below, and it's accurate, however sometimes exceptions are made, discretion can be used, and I've witnessed people with DUI enter without a problem (newer than 5 years).

Don't go attempting to cross with a DUI, and say "Well Hemlock said I could get in..."

Hopefully this site answers most questions. The phone numbers listed towards the bottom of the home page is your best bet for contacting a person. Call the long distance numbers, and not the toll free number is you do want to speak to a person.

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/index.shtml

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that after 10 years, as long as you have not had another offense DUIs went off your record...is this true?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes it is true. I called Customs this morning to confirm.

As long as that was your only offense, 10 years, and you are clear.

1-3 years, deemed inadmissable.

3-5 years, apply for temp permit ($200)

5-10 years, apply for rehabilitation permit ($200) and good for 5 years.

Phone numbers for a few of the local ports of entry are:

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

Pigeon River/?? 807-964-2093

Toll Free Automated Service 800-461-9999

I got into one of the Canada web pages and it told what you have to do to be considered rehabilitated. 1 to five years was one thing and 5 to 10 years was something else. I didn't spend much time on it because it said that after 10 years you are considered rehabbed. If you have 2 DUIs I think you are in trouble forever.

If ya do some gardening, she caught some fertilizer for ya. lol My wife and I have an almost 4 year old grandson that lives with us and he keeps us busy too. Tomorrow the little guy is going in for tonsil and adenoid surgery. I think it is going to be a bad couple of weeks ahead. frown.gif

This is just a hypothetical question but what if a Canadian resident came to the USA and got a DUI would they be allowed back into Canada? What if they really had a problem and got 2 DUI's? We just crossed into Canada last Tuesday and returned Monday no problems either way. But as we were crossing I thought about this thread and that question popped up.

I think the only way that would be an issue is if the Canadian, while in the US became a convicted felon. One DUI in the US is not deemed a felony, nor is two, I believe. If I'm not mistaken, three is finally a felony.

That's a good question. I was a Canadian in Minnesota for eight years, with nothing more than a few college parties broken up while I was present, so for the most part I stayed away from the Po-lice.

Again, I'm sure if a Canadian became a convicted felon in the US it would become an issue, but by that time, the US/INS would want that dummy out of the country, and Canada would have no option but to take that guy back.

For a border crossing scheduled 6/2007. Say a guy got a DUI 9/2002 that was actually reduced to a careless driving through court but still shows as a DUI on insurance records... Does he apply for temp permit ($200) for the 3-5 year ruling, then do the rehabilitation permit ($200) next year for the 5-10 year ruling? It's all a little confusing to me. Could a guy call the F.F./Int'l Falls border and speak to an immigration officer and have them scan your license over the phone and see what needs to be done in order to cross? I'd hate to leave a group member at the border. Thank you for the help.

There's no definite answer to your scenario. As stated before, I've crossed with guys who have a fresh DUI, but it never came up, so all was good. I've also crossed with a guy who had one brought down to reckless driving. It came up and Customs let him through. I'd say in your case, hope for the best and see what happens. If they ask, tell. If there's no mention, you should be in luck. Hope this helps. As for the next time...I'd just take it one crossing at a time.

There's too much uncertainty to be taking it "one crossing at a time." I'll try making a phone call this evening and see what type of response I get. As long as it was reduced, it should no longer be a felony therefore be a non-issue in crossing. However whenever personal discretion is used... all gets tossed aside. Great post as it has helped out a lot of people. I'll keep active as far as an update goes...

Well according to a recording none of my questions can be answered via phone so I'll have to send in a letter. Don't suppose anyone has done this and has an address??? How do I obtain the paperwork for a Temporary Permit application? Guess we'll start there, get a passport, and take it one crossing at a time!

Travelling up for yearly trip at the end of June with my wife and son. My buddy wants to go along with his wife and kid, but has a felony on his record over 20 years ago and has been clean since. Does he have to do anything or is that too long ago and all is well?

As long as he has no other felony charges on his record, he will be good. The one thing alot of people don't realize is that the timeframes from the offensesstarts after your license suspension, fines, & sentences are completed, not the date the offense happens.

You guys will be fine...we were hauled in and given the third degree in January...both of us had been "Convicted of a crime"...which is what they ask...If it is over 10 years you are fine...They gave us a nice LONG lecture about all the rules regarding the year statutes and in the end they were wasting our time and theirs as our issues were nearing 20 years. It felt good to finally know for sure what the rules were from the horses ummm...mouth... grin.gif

Quote:

Bearfan; Look at Hemlock's post (just above yours) and call the number in the town that you will be crossing at for probably the best information.

This is the best way to get the correct infomation, but based on what Hemlock has posted in the past and what I've heard as long as it's older than 10 years you should be in the clear.

marine_man

The info about the violation being more than 10 years old is correct. I have had a DUI and have completed the paperwork for entering Canada. 5 to 10 years. I worked with the Pembina border crossing. Pembina has a immagration office at this crossing. They will give you the information you need to know. Call them during normal business hours. 9 to 5 if I remeber right. Sorry I don't have the number here at work.

I did have to go to the border to pay my fee and have my picture taken once I had been cleared for rehabilatation. It is a pain in the rear but it is worth it to be able to visit Canada.