• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

Just got back from a trip to Nestor Falls,ON. I had a buddy with that had a 4.5 yr. old DUI and never had an issue with anything. The key to approaching these gates is to look like you got things figured out. Keep everything close and look like your organized and ready for the trip. Good luck to all.

Just thought I would share a passport story for those with issues/concerns.

Due to mental error I did not apply for my passport until Friday the 10th, I needed it by Friday the 24th. I went over to my local post office and paid for it to be expedited. Well, even with that I was told it would be 2-3 weeks, meaning I probably still would not get it in time. To my amazement, it came in the mail today, 6 days later. So I would suggest going to the post office if you have timing issues about getting it before your trip..

I am headed to Sioux narrows in three days. SInce i am not hauling my boat i was thinking of borrowing my Monther-in-laws car since it has better gas mileage than my truck. Is this just asking to get hassled at the border about it not being my car?

Thanks,

BHS

I am headed to Sioux narrows in three days. SInce i am not hauling my boat i was thinking of borrowing my Monther-in-laws car since it has better gas mileage than my truck. Is this just asking to get hassled at the border about it not being my car?

Thanks,

BHS

BHS. Not at all. I took my uncle's truck last year without any hassle. Just have proper identification and insurance and your FREE. Enjoy God's Country.

So I have a DWI that is less than five years old, less than a month old for that matter. I have heard differing answers about crossing the border. earlier in this post some one listed that you can apply for a permit at the border, and if you call ahead and show proof of reservations at a resort, you should have no problem. I also have read that there is no chance, and also to take the chance and try to sneak through. I have a trip planned for Jan. 1st,been going for years and am trying to figure this out, I have been digging around in the Canadian immigration site, and it appears that I can apply for a temporary resident permit at the border and get through. Does anyone have any clear cut answer for this that they are SURE of??? I'm freaking out over this and its 4 months away. Please any help would be much appreciated!!

Your dui is less than a month old? Are you saying that the incident happened one month ago and you are still awaiting your court date? If that's the case it isn't on your record until the courts find you guilty. If the case has been closed for a month then you could run into troubles.

This year I went through the border twice with a DUI'er in the car and had no problem whatsoever. My friend had one 8 years ago. They do not check everyone however they do perform some checks. I'm starting to think that the license plate on the vehicle passing through plays a huge part of who they give trouble to. I have paid very close attention to what they do at the border, and they always check the plates and run them in the system. If it's a vehicle that has passed through a few times with no issues usually you are sent right through. Any time we take a new vehicle through it's the usual search and booze check. Still, this doesn't mean they will run a background check. They take a look at the passports, check the photos against the people in the car and hand them back to you. There is no automatic background check like some people claim.

I have also researched the temporary permit that seems to be mentioned everywhere. If you were to apply for one now, meaning before you take the trip, you will be denied because it is so recent. However, it is always up to the border agent to make these decisions. I called the Canadian Consulate and they told me any person with a DUI under ten years old will automatically refused entrance at the border. But... there are people who have been let through even when the issue did come up at the border. They paid a fee of about $300 and were let through. Again, it's all up to the border guard. Unfortunately, there are no clear cut answers. If you are willing to take the risk I'd bet there is only about a 20 percent chance you won't make it in. Just my opinion though!

OK, I applied for a NEXUS card. This is suppose to take the place of the IJ 68 deal for the Americans but not the RABC for the Canadians. It also makes boarder crossing faster if everyone in the vehicle has them. I cross many times throughout the year to fish and also do remote crossing on sleds and boats. Has anyone heard bad ju-ju on the NEXUS cards?????

PS they are $50.

So Wondering if anyone knows how to get into canada with a DWI. I got one about 3 years ago. I should have thought before I drove. I lost my liscense, paid fines, did classes and the worst thing of all.... i lost my rights to go fish in canada every year.

I have heard things about paying a fine and being able to get through. anyone have any information.....

I contacted one of those lawyers for an individual in our group. I believe the rate was 1000 bucks and they guaranteed entry. His DUI was less than 5 years old...barely. We didn't go through with it, so don't know if it would have worked. I agree that you need to call them. 1000 bucks is alot, but pocket change considering what is at stake...IMO. Good luck. I hope you succeed and tell us here how it worked. At least that way, we can always refer to you as an example and not take wild guesses at what the outcome would be.

I've been in and out of Canada a bunch of times and never had a problem. This coming Summer, my 5 year old son is coming up for the first time. I called customs today and spoke with a US customs agent. He told me that anyone under the age of 14 only needs a birth certificate. He assured me that if I had my passport and my son had his birth certificate, we wouldn't have any problems.

Can anyone confirm this? I got it "from the horse's mouth", but I just want to make sure I got good info from the US guy and be sure that info applies to what the Canadian officers will tell me on the way in.

Thanks!

I don't know if this would apply to you or not but, if you are divorced, have your ex sign a short little note stating that you have the right to take him with you. I have always taken one with me and my son; sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I just give it to them anyways w/o asking. Just one little thing that shows that you are trying to have all of your bases covered.