• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance X-85 or Garmin 240?

MrBig

Question

8 answers to this question

I would like to know the reasons why a guy prefers one over the other?They both seem to have the same amount of power(3200/Garmin 3000/Lowrance).Same pixels.Is it manufacturer loyalty?I have used products from both manufacturers and found they both make quality products.I myself was considering buying another Garmin 240.

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 02-02-2002).]

For me, I guess it would be brand loyalty. For a couple of resaons. First, I've used Lowrance products from day one. I have been more than satisfied with the performance. Second is their customer service. I had some of the first X-85's out in the field and it did have a few softwaree glitches. Lowrance was more than happy to upgrade the units as the software became available. They even did some one day shipping magic for me right before a tourney that was out of state. All it took was a phone call. I'm not a big-time professional fisherman or known sports personality, but they sure treated me like one.

With Garmin, the have a great product in their GPS units, BUT their customer skills leave something to be desired. Again a software glitch, this time it was my handhled GPS unit. I was in a rush, as usual, right before bow season and still had not received my unit back. It had been about 3 weeks so it was a week overdue. One the phone, I was told that "you'll get it when you get it." WOW!!! That's a great way to treat people!! (NOT) This may have been an isolated case, but it left a real bad taste in my craw. I will still use their GPS products until something better comes along.

I guess that's the long and short of it. Customer service. If/when something goes wrong, I'd rather deal with people rather than boneheads. Which ever company they work for.

My humble 2 cents worth......Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 02-03-2002).]

I love my 85. I would buy it again.

It's all pre-planned obsolecence. Just because the 85 can't pick up 12 different birds in the atmosphere doesn't mean that it's no good.

A friend has the G-240 and it's good. But I like the products that beat a new trail. The X-85 is that.

The FL-8 will probably be gone within 2 years because of the 18, BUT it's a kick one-just-like-silly-me unit and has it's place.

So my question is would you buy a FL-8 or a Color Point?

I'd go with the unit that wrote the book.

I don't know where you live, but I'm in the Minneapolis MN area and we have a store named Galyan's. Right now they are clearing out their winter eqt. You can pick up a brand new Vex FL-8 slt pro pack for $249.00.
It has a 12v battery w/charger and ice-duecer with a float.

You can't get any more portable than that.

Correction: $229.00
Just saw that you live in IL. Try their web site or give a store mgr. a call. I'm sure that they will ship one to you.

I'm guessing Galyans.com. The number to the store is 952-525-0200.

I just paid $400.00 for the newer FL-18. The FL-8 is a great unit.