• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My Jiffy is Shot!

Question

I was a little dissapointed to find out my Jiffy is Scorched! I have a 9" 3 horse that is only 2 years old. It has always run really well and then totally quit the other day. Dead! So I took it in and they said it has been scorched and it is basically shot. Now, I take very good care of my equipment and always use the proper gas/oil mixture. I have contacted Jiffy and they referred to the Tecumseh distributor in the Twin Cities. I can see the writing on the wall already. "I am sorry sir, you have been running it to lean, you are SOL"

That response will really make me mad but I can see it coming already. My question to the experts is there other reasons the engine could be scorched versus running it to lean, which I know I haven't done. Again, the thing is only 2 years old.ScottS

4 answers to this question

Its really important that you take good care of the carbeurator. This involves cleaning it every year, Not letting moisture get into it by condensation, Running the gas out of it at the end of the season, I beleive that the biggest reason that people burn out small engines is because the don't take care of their stuff. Im not acusing you but its important. Small engines can be really finicky and complicated to run properly, therefore, you should have everything adjusted before the season begins. And it may be possible that your engine was sucking air from someplace that it wasn't supposed to. Just do anual maintenence and you won't have to worry about another three bills down the drain

at the end of the year you should stabilize the fuel or drain it not run it out by running it out you are leaning the engine out which can score the cyl. wall and piston which in time will shorten the life of the motor when you run it out of fuel you will hear the motor rev higher just before it stops running and that is because it is running lean at the end which is not good

I know this may sound odd, but I run my left over gas mix from the boat, in my auger, 50\1 mix. have had it 8 years and only replace the plug every other year, I prime it till gas drips out the carb,and pull, usualy no more than 2 times, she's cutting, have never had to even choke it,!? musta got a good one!
Knock on wood!

[This message has been edited by minneman (edited 02-01-2002).]

ScottS,
A good friend of mine is a small engine tech, his first question to anybody that comes in is , how fresh was the gas, had it been in the tank for awhile, was there any miosture in the mix(all it takes is a drop),he claims most problems are gas/oil mix problems. Secondly what side was the score on (intake or exhaust)that tells if it was a lean burn or a hot burn. Todays motors are alot leaner than the ones afew years back do to the EPA getting tougher on emissions. It could maybe have had a cracked ring that may have caused the score. Tough break. frown.gif