Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

OVS camera

15 posts in this topic

Thinking about buying a OVS camera with the motorized steering system. Does anyone have any knowledge about these cameras. I have heard quit a bit about the lights on the cameras scaring the fish away. Please let me know if this camera is worth it? Thanks

I got an OVS for X-Mas and I love it! I don't have the motorized one, just turn it manually. I have'nt used it with the lights too much, I am pretty much done fishing by the time it get's dark. the lakes I'm fishing in are pretty stained so when you turn the lights on you see a lot of dump floating in the water,plankton,ect... great picture though, and it's great seeing what's down there. I just liked it better than any of the Aqua-Vu's I saw, with the carrying case and the design of it. I was won over at the fishing show, pretty much knew I had to have one after seeing them there.

I also have the non-motorized OVS camera. I am really pleased with the performance of this unit. The one thing I like better about this camera over the new Aquaview is that it has the infared lighting along with the bright red and green lights.

Toad

The OVS 500 is awesome! The push button, rotating camera is a must. Visibility is also great. I prefer OVS over Aqua-vu unless Aqua-vu comes out with a rotating camera.
Good Fishing, Matt.

I agree with previous posts. The new OVS is awesome. I think all cameras have the potential for spooking walleyes. I rigged mine so it shoots straight down and can then hold it six to eight feet off the bottom and out of the fish.

Super Ron

------------------
Ron Anlauf's Guide Service http://fishingminnesota.com/ranlauf/ Phone: 320-396-2133

Super Ron, I tried the straight down approach and had a hard time keeping it staight. It always veered off to the side. Any suggestions?
Good Fishing, Matt.

I agree the rotating camera would be the way to go, but my buddy and I decided that you need a hand-held remote so you don't have to use all that energy bending over pushing the button!! Ice-fishing isn't supposed to be a total- body work-out!!

I have a chance to buy an OVS 300, has the infrared only, how much better is 400 & 500 with the lights? Is it worth the extra money?
Is the infrared only very effective?

hogghunter, the OVS still has decent visibility in stained water. Not as good as clear water but you can still see. At night it gets kind of tough but all underwater cameras will have that problem. The colored infrared helps to aid this problem.

Bryon, the new lights will help out quite a bit when it comes to night fishing. During the day I don't even need to use them because most of the time it is clear enough.

Good Fishing, Matt.

I planning on buying a VS-500 can someone tell me the best place to buy from and the cost for this unit? I was planning to buy from Cabelas but trying to save some money.

Super Ron,
When you use the camera pointing straight down, how far away do you put the cameras hole from your jigging hole to fight a fish??
Dave

Does the VS-500 come with a ballast weight and fin for open water fishing?

I have an OVS System from Thorne Bros. They have treated me very well with it. I have only had 1 problem and that is the Black Bar that I have posted about earlier today. They come with a fin for open water however I have never used it in the summer. To hard to drive the boat fish and watch the camera. You will find with all camera's that the night time is the hardest to see and each body of water is different it really all depends on the clearity of the lake and how much micro elements it has. At night you turn on all the color lights and you can pick up stuff that you don't see during the day (floating specs) I normaly will punch a hole about 7-10 feet from my lines to for the camera in a Fish Trap 2 normaly you will be able to see both lines that way and you will never have to turn the camera (unless of corse you wanna look around smile.gif ) Hope this helps let me know.

MJ5 - Good detail.