• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New locator

Question

OK, it's my turn to get everyone's locator opinion.

I have a 12 year old Eagle Ultra that seems to be dying. I use it in summer and winter and have been happy with it. I use the Fastrack option in the winter and that really helps. However, the other night I could not turn this on, or any of the other options. Eventually it read 14 ft when I was in 35 ft. Changing batteries didn't help. Fish-Lectronics said that they don't repair them (no parts), so it's time to think new.

So...do I go with another Eagle comprable model to save money and possibly get an FL18 for winter? I have 3 transducers for my Eagle so maybe I could use them on a new unit? Or...spend the big bucks for something like a Lorance X-15 and use this in summer and winter?

Advice/recommendations?

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply D-man!

Actually, money is an object. A vex and an x-15 won't be an option. $ will be determined after tax season. It just seems that whatever $ comes in, goes out somewhere so I might as well enjoy some of it! Anyone else with this problem?

Anyway, to clarify. If I had about $700, would I be better off to buy a vex and a mid-priced graph, which would give me separate units for summer and winter? Or, would I just want a really good graph, like an x-15 and use this year-round since I don't do as much ice fishing?

After tax season, it may come down to just a mid-price graph in the end, but it's nice to dream! Any suggestions on what graphs people currently like would be helpful.

OK, it's my turn to get everyone's locator opinion.

I have a 12 year old Eagle Ultra that seems to be dying. I use it in summer and winter and have been happy with it. I use the Fastrack option in the winter and that really helps. However, the other night I could not turn this on, or any of the other options. Eventually it read 14 ft when I was in 35 ft. Changing batteries didn't help. Fish-Lectronics said that they don't repair them (no parts), so it's time to think new.

So...do I go with another Eagle comprable model to save money and possibly get an FL18 for winter? I have 3 transducers for my Eagle so maybe I could use them on a new unit? Or...spend the big bucks for something like a Lorance X-15 and use this in summer and winter?

Advice/recommendations?