• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer Boards

Question

5 answers to this question

I use boards that clip onto the line on my rod and is very simple to hook up when necessary. You saw me use them on the Otter Tail Lake tourney. They also produced most of our walleyes that day!

I have Yellow Birds and I like them because of the simplicity. They were about $15 or so. The thing you need to watch out for is the releases. I like the red colored releases that you can tighten for different sized lines. It has a small screw inside the release that adjusts to the right conditions. It all depends on waves, speed, weight of the lure, etc... I'd be glad to show you more details at Vermilion.

Long (7'+), stiffer rods in the medium/heavy class work good for me on planers, and I can also use the rods for casting crankbaits and what not.

Hey CD
I remember that day and that is one of the reasons I finally thought I should get some boards.I think we were trolling the same bar.We got skunked and you did well.Things always have to proved to me.I think I will try those yellow birds.That seems less complicated(and cheaper)for now.
Dan
Maybee I will see you out on Waconia this summer and check out your rigging.
I was also going to ask you if you have a relative in the construction bizz named Dave?

Hi Fishhead...

For better or worse, Waconia seems to be my home water. Although it still baffles me. If ya want to check out the rigging, just look for a blue Lund powered by Yamaha. Oh yeah, I'll be the only one out there with downriggers fishing crappies. grin.gif

Dave in the construction bizz? Sorry, no relation to me that I know of. I'll check with my folks. They seem to know almost everyone.

And if you're ever out for the night bite on the Waconia ice, stop by the little green house out on the east side of cemetary reef and say howdy. I'll probably be there Thursday night, wife permitting. wink.gif

I know you'll enjoy those planers......Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 01-29-2002).]

Hi Fishhead...

I run both types of planers. The inlines and the mast models. The use of each depends a lot on the situation at hand.

The inlines, like what CD is talking about, are much easier to use. Just a snap or two and you're off. I use the ones made by Offshore tackle and really like them. BUT....
You need the rods that can handle the extra weight and pull of the planer. 7' to 8' med/hvy is what I use. Line counter reels come in handy, but not 100% necessary. The cons, you can only run one line per board and they don't seem to handle rough seas as well as the larger mast models. But their ease of use is GREAT!!!

For those times (large waves, mulitple lines) I will break out the mast and my big Cannon boards. Think of those like downriggers in the horizontal plane. With the use of stacker clips, I have run up to three lines off each side in some pretty nasty weather. With the mast boards, tackle really doesn't seem to matter. I've used everything from 8'+ downrigger rods to little 5' ultralights. It's a really neat set-up but not for small water due to the time and effort involved in rigging. Very labor intensive.

How's this for a full spread: 3 baits off each side, 2 on each down rigger with 2 flat lines.
Grand total: 12 baits in the water. Granted, this scenerio can only be used on very few bodies of water. But, as you can see, without the boards, I lose 50% of my spread.

If you're just getting into it, try a set of inlines. They're a tool that I wouldn't be without.

Dan

If you use Yellow-Birds, throw away the little red plastic line release that comes with it and replace with alligator-type clips to hold the line. A single loop prevents the line from sliding -- yet, releases easily on strike.

Yellow-Birds are a mighty fine way to put lines out away from the boat, and they can take a heavier lure/weight than other brands.