• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drift Sock

Question

OK I know that open water is a ways off yet but I have a bunch of catalogs,a hand full of bucks and a new boat to rig.
What size drift sock should I get for a 17ft boat.The catalogs give a suggested size for boats but is there any advantages to going a size or two bigger?What brands are better?

6 answers to this question

Fishead,

I would go with something way bigger than what is suggested for your boat. That way you have it when you need it. You can always tie it off closer to the boat when you don't need as much. Or you could go with two smaller ones and use whatevers appropriate for the situation. I have one very large one and one medium size and have never needed anything else.

Paul

Fishead,

Pwaldow is right, bigger is better. I use two all the time. Years ago I started by dragging two five gallon pickle buckets with holes drilled in them but the driftsocks are the way to go. Bring on the open water...

Fishhead,
The larger the sock the better! Another bit of advice: Did you see my bright/light blue drift sock I used in the tourneys? It is a thin nylon sock I bought at Fleet Farm, and I think the name of it is "Control Drift" or something like that. Well, DON'T BUY IT! It always gets tangled up and is a hassle when moving from spot to spot. I spend a lot of my time trying to untangle it.

My buddy bought one from Cabelas and it was dark blue and a heavier material. That sock worked very well and never had problems.