• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ELEC HOOK SHARPENERS

DARK30

Question

3 answers to this question

Just my personal opinion,but I have tried two different kinds and didn't like them.One was the Berkly line stripper and hook sharpener and I can't remember who made the other.They did sharpen a hook but not a small one or as sharp as you can do it with just a fine stone or diamond file.

I'm in the same boat as fishhead. The Berkely line stripper is nice for big hooks during the open water season and it is nice for stripping line. But I prefer a file for ice fishing when dealing with smaller hooks.
Good Fishing, Matt.

I have one called Hook Hon-R, which is ideal for Lake Michigan use. I keep it handy so that the multiple lures used (3 per angler in Wis waters) can be kept sharp. We use a ton of spoons, and the Hon-R is a great way to assure the hook is always sharp. It will sharpen a hook so it passes the thumbnail test. And, yes, these are larger hooks.

For sharpening on inland lakes where fewer lures are in use, nothing beats a good file. Especially for muskie fishing, when a triangular point is best on a hook, a hand file will sharpen and shape the hook much better than any rotating mechanical device could ever do. Keep 'em sharp.