• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JUST AT GANDER AND PICKED UP A FLEXIBLE 6FT LED CABLE FOR SALE FOR 9.99. IT HAS ALIGATOR CLIPS AND ZIP TIES FOR ATTACHING TO YOUR PORTABLE FISH HOUSE (I HAVE THE GUIDE-PRO) IT SEEMS TO HAVE ENOUGH LIGHT IN THE HOUSE AFTER I INSTALLED IT. BETTER THAN PAYING $30 DOLLARS FOR THE CLAM LED.

Captkev,

I've also had problems with picture taking in the cold. I was told that the cold will effect the preformance. I try to keep the camera in an inside pocket to gather body heat wink.gif

Good Luck...

CaptKev

Truckers Inn, is that the one just south of the 94 exit across from Felling trailer? Will be running past there Thursday and may have to pick up a couple lights for my guide. Some mentioned adding a resistor - did you need to?

nitroant:

Ended up going to a "Peterbuilt" dealer because I was out of patience.(lol) Highway 494 & Concord in S. St. Paul

Right by Stockmans Truck Stop behind the Hotel there to the east towards Hardman.

I knew the dealer price would be $20 more then a parts house but what you gonna do ?

I bought a Maxxima #M4250 Round 4" LED (semi) back up light with (54) 5 mm leds in it. It came with a sealed groumet, pig tail connection and steel mounting frame for $69.00 (ouch) Saw RV dome lights online for $50 so it wasn't to far off that price I guess.

I wired it direct to the Vex battery, no need for a resistor.Ran the wire through some hose and plastic electrical conduit tp protect it. Plugs into the back of the light with the pigtail provided and I ran the cord over my ceiling poles in between the pole & canvas to the back wall down into the sled.Pull the cords tension to adjust the angle of the light as you desire. It rests right above my head in a 3-man Polar Sport. Used heavy duty zip ties to secure through the flange holes around the pole. It pivots as needed and folds with the house during break down. Out of site out of mind, real slick and simple.

I got (47) hours of continuous light before it [PoorWordUsage]ed on a 3/4 to full charge as I have no charge meter.

Deephole-

O.K. thanks for that info. I assume you looked at stockmans first with no luck?? I found some auxilary 10 LED lights for $20 that I am thinking of trying. Did you try Fleet Farm & Northern Tool??

What type of wire did you use from the light to get down to the vex battery? I assume simple black and red trailer lights wire like an 18 guage??

I am going to get this whole deal to work yet!!!

For those of you who bought the light bars, I saw a clear platic fluorescent (sp?) bulb holder at Ace last night for $4.00 comes with end caps and all, but kind of long, but nothing a utility knife won't fix.

Bigdog, yes thats the place. If you go in the front door, goto the west wall like your going out the back door, take a left/south and look on the rack to your left,east. grin.gif top shelf. I use no resistor, or fuse link, call me stupid if you like, but they only draw like .03 amps... I'm not to worried, I ran the one in my scout all last season, maybe 200 hrs. total and never had even a flicker. I used speaker wire this year on the ones I just instaled and nothing seems to get hot, or flicker. good luck, I hope they have some left. wink.gif

nitroant:

I went with the back up light because of the round diameter light pattern and the fact it was loaded with (54) LED 5 mm lights. Did not want a combination of lights to get the light I needed or have wire runs everywhere because of small number of LED.

I actually used a trailer wiring kit I had laying around which matched the pigtail plug you get with the light.

I'm sure if you looked long and hard you come find something equivilant a bit cheaper, but white/clear in that big of light is hard to find and not cheap.Parts houses for Semi Medium duty trucks were closed, but I'd start there before the dealer like I did. (lol)

Personally I think the whole set up is pretty much worth the $70. It will last for ever and is very rugged and sealed.

I took that into great concideration when I wired my new Fish Trap Guide, and decided to try them on the outside of the poles, I just wraped them tight with electrical tape, we'll se how well it works. The picture posted is from a Fish Trap Scout and they don't have collapseable bars, so yes I put the wires on the inside and they were never in the way.

Just wired my house yesterday, but now reading this i have questions and a few more things to get it looks like. I bought a dome light for a car and put alligator clamps on the ends and attached them to my charging posts on my fl-18 ultra. But now in looking around i have seen some replacement led bulbs that i think i am going to buy and switch out and see how they work(do you think i will need to put in a resistor?) I ran them both in the house last night for about and hour and half. Then charged up my batter took about 20 min. For those who care i think it is easier to attach the lights with heavy duty zip ties, makes them easy to direct the light, and move it around if you need. well any comments always appreciated.

I bought a clam light rope, but not the LED type. It is a six-footer and is said to run off of a 12 volt as well. It is suppose to run for only 3 hours on a vexi battery so i was thinking about running it off of my deep cycle marine battery. Anybody have ideas if this would cause any trouble? I have not fired it up yet, but thinking about getting out maybe this weekend.

j

Here's something some of you may want to look into. Sylvania came out with a "DOTit" which is a "stick-up", puck style light with 3 LED's. It is as bright as my PrinctonTech headlamp. It says it will stick to anything including cloth, and at low temps as well. They sell them at most Walmarts for $8.88. They run off AAA batteries I believe. Very light weight and no wires. You can look at them at sylvania's HSOforum.

Well, I just got my shipment from super bright leds, I ordered 2 of the lb1 bars, and got 3 in the package!!! What a bonus! The light these put out is great! They are going on 3 hrs and thats on a off name vex battery that has not been charged for a year and was sitting in the cold!!! These are going to be sweet on the ice!!!

Deepholes:

Any particular reason you went the round backup light instead of the LB1 stick lights by superbright? I want to get something ordered soon as I am tired of my present light system. Is your set-up bright enough to see at night to tie knots? confused.gif

Don't waste your money on the clam LED lights I bought a set last winter from the Gander mountain in Maple Grove. First off they emit a very small amount of light. Within 2 outings 1/4 of the lights burnt out. So I tossed it, and bought a 12 volt trouble light from Fleet and farm for 10 bucks and it works great... just hook her up to a gel cell and your ready to start fishing.

Bigminnow

tightlines:

The reason I went with the "truck light" was its a dome type fixture right over my head. The construction of the thing is weather proof as expected for a semi truck. The amount of LEDS in the pattern (54) I thought was a positive, and the simple install.The light bars and ropes are just a hassle to me and in the way. I like the light above me and out of the way with no worries.

I have a Polar Sport 3-man and one of the cross poles sits right above me where the light can be directed straight down if needed for tying knots. Otherwise if I stand up the tying can be done less then 2 feet directly under it.

Seems plenty bright for tying IMHO.

I ordered on sunday night, and got the package on wed sometime, so quick shipping. I did order the interconnects, as this is the only way of connecting them. I did also order the brackets and don't know if I will need them with the clear tube that I plan on putting them in. I think the 3 will be nice, although the 2 that I ordered would have been just fine. The light they put off is very white, almost like a floursent light. I ran them for 3 hrs on a vex battery that was out in the cold and had not been charged for a year. After the 3 hrs, I did notice they were a little dim. But then again, the battery was just about dead. I think for the money, it will be a good alternative to a lantern or a large deep cycle battery.