• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

Any decent new style lighting units out for portables this year? I'm one of them guys (unfortunetly) that no matter how much ventilation I have , I get headaches from propane usage, so the colman lantern is staying in the garage this year.

thanks

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the LED rope lights from Clam. They are on the HSOforum and run off a 12V system. I'm going that route this year. (I'm sick of the broken glass and burns) I got a 12v battery from Cabela's for $20 that will run it for 24 hours.

Cabelas had the new LED lights set up in a portable at the Rogers store. It sure didn't look like it put out enough light to me. I hope I'm wrong but right now I've decided to build my own lights. I'm not convinced anything on the market is a real winner for me.

I put the new Clam LED rope lights into my portables for this season.... for me they put off just the right amount of light. I know some people want a lot of light, and you could always run two ropes in your portable.

I believe they are retailing for 29.95 Gill Man....

Hey Dano.... I was curious about lighting after reading your thread, so I went to the Clam HSOforum to check it out. If you notice, they have a pic on the HSOforum showing 2 Voyagers or Yukons linked together.. (which is awesome) ANYWAY, they both have the lighting in them. If you notice however, the Clam in the back of the picture ALSO has a lantern burning. Might tell you something right there about the brightness of those LED lights... Just an observation for ya!

Pickle

There was a post a while back about making your own light from the "super bright leds" HSOforum. I did that and it works great, I made a 12" light and wired it in a clear plastic tube with the small black connectors attached so it can be put right on the conduit frame of the portable. No more lantern and a nice bright light. Very cheap and easy, just how we all like it!!!!

fishpickle, ya, I've seen the pick before, never noticed the lantern though. I thought about them last year too, but read the same thing that they dont put out much light, gets a little hard on the eyes after awhile, but perhaps a guy could throw something else in the mix, like, I use one of them goofy head lamps too, its an energizer bnut them little LEDs dont put much out either, enough to tie a jig, and see whats right in front of your face, but thats about it, but, then again, thats pretty much their purpose.

Maybe a couple florescent type lights that wouldn't drain the battery so fast. not sure what kind of bulb or what size battery would be sufficient though. I thought I read last year on here, a guy had this type setup and ran them off one of them little gellcells like the kind in your flashers, or maybne it was a motercycle battery, cant remember. I wonder how long them rope lights would run on one of them little batteries.

I use battery operated lanturns.. either rechargable, or replacement battery models both work good. I get headaches from the fumes also. Another plus is... no hot surfaces. Gas lanturns always seem to burn my line at least once per outing.

I'm kinda intersted in what Norsky was talking about. I'm going to look into the LED lights that run off of 12V. Might be a neat little project for a slow saturday afternoon while enjoying a few cold ones in the garage dreaming about thick ice.... grin.gif

I picked up a cheap clamp on light with a 6" reflector on it at fleet farm. I bought a 50 watt 12 volt RV lioght bulb for it and put 2 alligator clamps on the wires.

I have it burning right now on a 7.2 AH battery just to see how long the battery will last.

Lots of light right now!

I will get back with the run time.

Cliff

cliff, I wonder if you could toss one of them "energy star" type bulbs in there, the ones that are supposed to suck alot less energy.I wonder if they make a 12V.

whats a 7.2AH? that the same as the 12V used for flashers?

Paul, can you explain the top pic., also the bottem pic. looks like the LED light bar from super bright LEDS, is that the LB1 series do you rememeber. Thinking of ordering some of them but not sure how many, any details would be appreciated, thanks.

Dano,

Here goes: Top picture displays the 4 LED lights that are available commercially. They are a little spendy, but worth it. The wires run from the battery in my sled up inside of the pole to the four lights that are located on the pole that sits right above my head. On that pole there is also a 2 pin trailer connector that allows me to plug in the set of lights in the second picture. You are correct, it is a set of the LB1 from Superbrightleds. IMHO you will only need 1 of those bars (4 bulbs) and 4 of the mounting tracks. What I did was buy some velcro that I attached to the back of the mounting tracks and then attached other side of the velcro to the wind bracing in my Otter. I have it on the wind brace in back, over my head and also over the holes. This way I can easily move it from place to place depending on the situation. When you are ready to move I just unhook that light bar and stick it in my rod bag. No more hot lanterns, broken mantles, broken globes....simply NO MORE HASSLE laugh.gif

thansk alot, so just one of them bars puts out a good amount of light eh? you say 4 bulbs, isn't there about 12 on one of them bars? How sturdy are them bulbs? do you worry about breaking them, or are they pretty sturdy. A 12V should be good enough for those LEDs, shouldn't it? Thanks again, hope they ship quick, need to get setup, heh, heh, cant wait. grin.gif

One of the superbrightleds has 4 groups of bulbs. The other has 4 small bubls in each light. Each had there own features that made them perfect for the job. The ones on the bar over my head are very durable. The jury is still out on the gang of 4 from Superbright. A 12 volt battery runs them for a LONG time. I'm using a lawn mower tractor batter. $15 at Walmart. Either place you order from will have them too you within a couple of days

I just bought some just like Pauls from Fish House Supply. I had planned on rigging them up on a piece of plywood because I have the old otter with the round pipes. I wish I had the newer style so I could screw them to the pipe like Paul did. Nice job Paul!

I just picked up some 3 led/3 aaa portable lights from Cabelas (same as Fish House Supply portable ones). Kinda spendy at $15 each but with a velcro cable tie I'll rap it around the tubes and easily be able to move it between houses, tent or where ever. Now to see how many I'll need crazy.gif

Wondering if you guys know of any other alternatives for lighting. I can't stand lanterns because the mantles always break, so i am looking at a battery operated lantern or something like that. Anyone know of a good battery operated lantern that will give good run time and good light???

I just bought 50 of the superbrightest LED from hsolist, they come directly from Honk Kong, and I can guarantee rigged up will put up a lot of light, besides the superbright LED lights it's what's used to recharge glow in the dark lures, just hold it few seconds in front of light and....voila' even the fish will have light grin.gif

Paul, nice sled, you can bring them back here now, I can use, sorry I meant "keep" them here for a while... wink.gif

Paul if you mount the LED bar inside a clear acrilic tube(check out a pet shop, in the aquariam area) with a bit of epoxy glue and put pvc end caps on they hold up pretty good. The tube does difuse a little bit of the light. I then use velcro tape on the tuibe end caps and the support bars for mounting.

This will keep any water off as well as keeping the electronic from getting beat up.

I'll give you guys a hint....

dv243009_n.jpg

Go to your local Truck Stop or Truck Dealer,

they have every type of LED light you can dream of.

I mounted this little unit in my Fish Trap Scout...

trap3.jpg

and ran the wires threw the tubeing and out the bottom,

I run it off of a spare Vex batt. and it runs for days at .03 amps.

trap4.jpg

I just sold My Scout to buy a F/T Guide and stoped by the Truck Stop the other night to pick up more lights. I bought 2-15 bulb white LED dome lights for $17 each and they come presealed in a little bracket with a hinge on it so you can turn the light to look down in your lap while looking in your tackle box or point them towards your holes, behind you to look in the sled, for me this is the only way to go.