• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Still waiting for rain here at Lake Iwanttobethere, seems that every other day I water the lawn and sit down here to bring you up to date on the doings here. I should sit down one of these days and give a real in depth report, because summer here is when everything seems to happen. Fireworks are still being set off after dark here and you can hear some going of during the middle of the day. I don't know about you but it does get annoying after a while. Buddy is running all over thinking someone is out hunting and he was not invited. Barney just thinks it is a bother to him when he is trying to fish. Speaking of Bud he was out swimming the other day and was out paddling along when he was startled by a baby loon that somehow managed to climb up on his broad back. I wish I had the camera handy, would have made a good picture for the wall. Anyway he is out there swimming back and forth with this worried look about him and I don't see no mother Loon in sight. I'm thinking this is a lost baby or something and she has decided that Bud is her new mom. That dang old goose saw the baby chick and started honking away, I think Barney had enough of the firecrackers and then the Goose and he took off after the goose and drove it away. First time he ever paid any attention as the goose has always been Buds problem. After a few hours a big Loon came in for one of those controlled crash landings in the bay and the chick with out so much as a thank you slipped off Buds back and swam out to it's mother. Bud spent the rest of the day dozing and drying away in the sun.

The July 4th softball game ended in a draw, it was decided to play beer ball with a keg at every base and I was pitching but I already had played a game that morning so I pretty much walked everyone I faced. Which let everyone get to first base, and our rule is you must drink a beer before you can advance a base. So after a few innings no one was in any shape to advance any more so we just kind of sat where ever we were. I did not mind at all as I was with Mandy and Brandy their cousin from out of town but that is another story all together. I took 5th in the pie eating contest and I would have done better if I was not entered in the hot dog contest. Spent most of the 5th laying on the couch avoiding everyone and thinking that I am not as young as I once was. Thursday found me hiding out at the Lodge where I found fellow lodge members who were in worse shape then I was. All in all a pretty normal 4th of July Us locals make a fool of ourselves and the tourist snap pictures, spend money and leave.. I thought I heard some comment on public radio about the softball game and the public drinking. How the caller had gone looking for the sheriff but he would not answer his phone, heck all they had to do was go out to left center. He was right there with the soil commissioner and the local C.O. They don't always have to wear their uniforms.

Well now that the 4th is over I will be getting into some serious fishing here. We are a few months away from the next holiday and birthdays and graduation are out of the way. Pretty well done on the Honey do list for the summer and everything else on there is now the fall do list. I am staining the fence that I put in but I am milking that, only working a few hours a day on that as you know the morning dew can't be on the wood and can't stain to late in the day cuz it has to dry and if it is to hot it will dry to fast and if there are clouds it may rain.. So I might as well go fishing! I mean this all started as a fishing report for Lake Iwanttobethere and how can I report if I don't go out and fish. I guess it's my duty now that you look at it. I was in town today and picked up a weeks supply of cigars. The bay that I fish tomorrow is about a 4.00 cigar away. Loaded with Bass and decent size northern and even a crappie or two. It is so far out on Lake Iwanttobethere that you can't even get the Twins game till you start heading back. Makes it a good place on a Friday night, not many people will drive that far. Well I better start packing my lunch now while I'm not hungry, I know for a fact there will be no hot dogs and no pie in it. Beer is on the bottom shelf in the back, out of sight. Think I'll just have a coke.. From Lake Iwanttobethere hope you had a good 4th.

Went fishing with the daughter last night and a ride to the far side of Lake Iwanttobethere to put in at a small bay that holds some nice bass and some northerns. Warm and windy just the way summer is suppose to be I guess. Hard to catch anything as the Bass were hiding and even the northerns were few and small. We kept at it though, got to see a very large bald eagle but when have you seen a small one. Four deer, a turtle that was actually chasing the daughters spinner bait as she was dragging it along side the boat. A otter came flying down the hillside to splash into the water not ten feet from us, We kept looking back up the hill to see what had made it in such a hurry but did not see anything. Finally about 8 or so we started to pick up some fish, first a few small northerns then a few bass and few lost fish and crappie. The daughters spirits were getting better as she was no longer skunked and the last northern she caught did the old tail splash and got her wet. We ended up in the same small little side bay by the landing that we started in and in the last fifteen minutes of the night caught 3 more northerns and 7 bass, this was all done while sneaking up on 21 geese as we were down wind and they did not hear us coming.

Just had enough light to load the boat before the skeeters came out in full force. Lot's of little ones and some big boys who were directing the attack against us. Getting in the truck we rolled the windows down and turn on the vent to full to blow them out. I dug up a cigar and we soon had a nice smoke screen going and forced the last of them out. The daughter settled in for the ride back home. And just like that it was ten years ago. It did not take her 5 minutes to be asleep. She went from being 19 to 9 I have driven over this same tote road to dirt road to blacktop to highway for almost 30 years now. With everyone of my four kids, several of my friends and even a few brother-in-laws. Keeping an eye out for deer a bear from time to time and once a big shaggy black timber wolf. The common is a cigar keeping the skeeters at bay, the sound of a Twins came fading in and out as we get closer to town and a sleeping companion. Maybe that will be something that I can look forward to. I'll get to ride in the passenger seat and sleep all the way back home, I wonder if they are dreaming of the fish they just caught or the one that got away. Going to be a while though, I enjoy the drive back. A fading radio, a good cigar, the hum of tires on pavement. A following moon and even a shooting star. But most of all another Kodak moment. From Lake Iwanttobethere

I need to find this post in book form, as printing it off at work to give to the old man kinda feels like stealing...or copyright infringement.. or something...kinda. Keep it going!

Well hello from here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Just came back from a short overnight road trip. Like to get out and travel some from time to time. Get in the pickup and just kind of point it down the highway and spend some time visiting friends. With gas as high as it has been I don't get to do that to often. Went driving through a few towns south of here stopped in at the Golf Club down by Zumbro Falls ...Zumbro Falls don't know what to make of that town, Sounds like the name for some big guy or a place in Africa. I do know that I should get a job at the post office there. Do you know they have an hour and a half lunch break? I think you could get in a round of golf in that time.. Nice little place, reminds me a lot of home. On my way back we were thinking of catching a movie at the Delano theater but they looked sold out.

Well middle of summer here at the lake. Pretty much the same old same old going on. Not that I mine it. There ain't nothing wrong with sleeping in late. Listening to wind chimes and watching kids tipping over sailboats while trying to impress their girlfriends. Not to mention the evening fishing and the smell of BBQ.. Which reminds me there will be the Lake Iwanttobethere BBQ week coming up here soon. 24th through the 31st we will be having our BBQ contest down at the park along with the Fiddlers fiddle off also that weekend. I am so used to these events that I sometimes forget they can be a big deal for others. There is also a Jelly bean sorting contest for the kids. You would think that would be at Easter but we like to shake things up around here.

Sure sign of Summer around here as the General store will be having there clearance sale here soon to, All the summer stuff will be out on the front porch with them little clearance tags flapping in the breeze. Fall is around the corner and with it hunting season and fall fishing. I hate to be the first one to say it, But we are into the middle of July already. I even overheard at few guys down at the Dew Drop Inn talking of ice fishing. Ya.... Way to early for me to be hearing that talk. I have been out on the end of the dock hitting a few golf balls out into the bay. I will be getting in a few rounds here now that the heat of summer has set in. To hot to work outside and I still have to have something to do when I get a chance to get away from the house. Have been doing two shifts a week at the Lodge, the AC works good in there and ever since we got them screens fixed the porch is not so bad a place to spend some time. Hammering Hank was given the Lodge man of the month award for his work on the screen porch. Not only did he replace screens but he found some old camo netting from his turkey guiding days and he covered the front of the Lodge porch with it. Now no one from down at the park can even see the Lodge anymore.

What I am really looking forward is to beer days in August. Everyone brings in there home made micro brews that they have been aging since winter and we have a big time taste off. No root beer here boys just the real stuff made with barley and roots and mail order hops and grains and .. Well let me tell you a secret, I don't know nothing about making no beer. But I do have a secret cache of some Hamms that I just put in to some old bottles and I make a big deal out of it. Heck no one knows the difference after the first hour or so. Will just keep that between you and me ok? So That pretty much brings you up to speed here at Lake Iwanttobehere today. Remember to stop in and say hi, The Lodge might be a tad hard to find with the netting but just go to Del's and order a pizza for the Lodge and then follow the skipping pan... From Lake Iwanttobethere

Little under the weather here this morning, guess we were a bad boy last night. At least that is what it says here on the note that the sheriff left. OK so now you are wondering what kind of trouble I could have gotten into here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Well to the best of my knowledge it all started innocently enough. I was at the Lodge bartending last night and it was a quite night so as we got close to closing time I was having a few shots with the boys. Well we were talking away on just about everything and anything when Hammering Hank brought up that it was the 11th of the month and we had forgotten to test our town siren. Well for some reason we keep getting back on the subject of testing the siren and the more we talked about it the more we thought that the test should not wait till the next day but that it was important and actually our duty that we should test the siren as soon as possible. Now I had a feeling that this was not going to be a good idea but I must admit that I was already over the limit for bartenders who tend the bar and are in charge. The more we talked about it I to started to think we could not go another day let alone another hour with out the test taking place.

So at 1 AM we tested the siren....... Now it seems that we forgot to let our members of our quiet lakeside community in to the fact that this was a test only a test. It was going to be a short test except Reed the Realtor who had pulled the short straw lost his balance when he pulled the switch and broke the switch off. I do remember us looking at each other and we were fine until Jake yelled run!!! And just like we were 10 year olds and the first time we pulled the switch we all scattered running out of the Lodge. Now I was at least 50 yards away from the Lodge well maybe 50 feet but it sure seemed like I ran 50 yards when it dawned on me that a) Why was I running and B) I was the authority figure here. I collected myself and my breath and looked around for the rest of my band of brothers. I could hear someone off in the brush to the north and I heard laughing off to the south. I then heard a splash and swearing coming from the lake. That is when I noticed a lot of lights going on down main street and I could hear trucks starting up. Then I felt the vibration of my fire dept. Pager going off on my belt. I plucked it off my belt in time to read the text message FIRE AT THE LODGE.... This was not good.... Looking back at the Lodge I could see a shaft of light rising from the roof and smoke, "Thank God"I said out loud we do have a fire!!

Well it would be a long story if I told what happen then, The town arriving, tourist dressing to come out from the resorts to see the big fire. Kids on their bikes. The old retired fire fighters offering their assistance and even hitching up the horse to the old fire wagon. The old lady Sasser directing everyone to grab buckets cuz the only way to put out a real fire is with water from the lake. I do remember the smoke and I do remember how we found the source of the smoke. I can remember being at the command center in the parking lot. With a map of the Lodge and with a lot of pointing fingers as to where the smoke was coming from. It was noted after several minutes that the smoke seem to be rising from an area where the women's bathroom was or is. Hmmmmm about this time Harold from the power company cut the power to the Lodge and it was silent as the siren slowly stop spinning. Now all there was was the sound of yellow strobes and the clicking of four way flashers. Then like out of some movie a figure appeared at the door of the Lodge. With a big cigar there stood Elmer looking down at the crowd. Well it seems Elmer had gone to the women's bathroom to smoke one of his imported cigars. He had found out that if he sat on the toilet the smoke went up and out the newly installed skylight. So with the bathroom light shinning up on the smoke someone had called in a fire we were just lucky enough that it happen the same time we "tested" the siren.

And the note from the Sheriff? It just said he knew what I did last night.. From lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby,

Funny you should mention the "tourists" that were watching the smoke coming from the lodge. I happened to be one of them however i'm not necessarily a tourist. I got into town yesterday afternoon after an extensive trip across the U.S. My travels have taken me all across this great country and I have seen some marvelous things but my heart has always been at Lake Iwanttobethere. I'm not sure if you remember me or not but I am Al Robertson's grandson. I'm sure you remember Grandpa, he used to own "The Pickle Factory". Not quite sure how he came up with that name as it was in fact just a small bar and resturaunt. Did make for some interesting stories from the tourists though when they showed up to see how the pickles were made and then ended up just sitting down for a cold one and perhaps a burger. I see that Grandpa's isn't here anymore and i'm curious to hear what ever happened to that old place.

I talked to Reed the Realtor and he informed me that Grandpa's old cabin down by Lookout Bluff was still there and they were just waiting for someone from the family to come and claim it. Guess it's lucky I felt called to come home. One remembers the joys of childhood on the waters edge making boats out of anything that would float...If it didn't float it wasn't much of a problem we'd just play submarine then.

I'm off to the cafe for some dinner and will check in with you and let ya know what the Lake holds in store for me.

Regards

Jason

Welcome Jason to the Lake, I think I might know of your Grandpa But I am sure Elmer knows him as they might have hung around together way back when. The Pickle Factory that might be before my time unless that is the old place they turned into a Dairy Queen but had trouble with the smell..Will have to ask Elmer about that to. Any way welcome to the lake and perhaps I will run into you. Seeing as I am a part time building inspector I am sure we will have to check up on the old cabin if you are going to move in. Reed is a good guy, just try to keep on his left side as he is a little hard of hearing on his right. Got to run here have just enough time to slip out for the evening bite, Going to be hot the next several days here..from Lake Iwanttobethere.

Ok lets all agree it's hot outside. But then that is why they call it summer. I got my work out of the way first thing this morning. Am thinking of going fishing for the afternoon but it might even be to hot for that. Maybe swimming is in order here but I'll take a rod along just in case. I know I mention about BBQ week so I thought I would tell ya a little more and if you have some tips you would like to share you are of course more then welcome to come on out and try your hand. Monday will be chicken day, Any kind of chicken you want just as long as it is cooked on the BBQ

Tuesday is ribs

Wednesday is hot dogs/ brauts and polish

Thursday is veggie day

Friday is Steak

Saturday is Hamburgers

And Sunday is judging day, where you can make your best and try to top all the rest. Needless to say I having managed once again to be named a judge so I will be there every evening to sample and offer ahh pointers so to speak. Sunday will also be the Fiddle contest that afternoon. Featuring the fantastic fine fingers of fifties fiddlers Fiona and Fred Fiddle and there sons Fedo, Fritz, Floyd and daughters Fawn and Frema Come sit in the park and enjoy BBQ and toe tapping knee slapping Lake Iwantobethere home grown music. Temps are going to cool down to the mid 80's so coolers will be allowed in the park, There is free admission and just a small charge for some great BBQ As always the Mini-donut trailer will be there and even Frosty the clown who should be release from county on Friday and has to serve 30 days of community service will be there with balloons for the kiddies and apologies for the ladies.

This coming weekend is kind of special also as we will be having another softball tournament, no beer ball allowed this time but with the heat to be in the 90's we may play all night games.We have been having dog trials during the week here but Bud was out of the running after the first round. We were all ready to have our go when the gunners went to throw the birds for retrieval Bud had already gone to the cages and grabbed his two birds and was sitting at my side birds in mouth. Guess it was to hot for him do be doing that running through high grass and retrieving in the pond. We were disqualified but we all know who's dog can hunt. So I took him down to Amy's and bought him a sandwich. Well that's it for now, I was sitting in the shade with Reed the Realtor and he told me that he has met the new guy in town, Jason. Nice enough guy Reed said, Does kind of speak loud and wants to always walk on left side for some reason. Anyway have a nice summer day, from Lake Iwanttobethere

Had the opportunity to meet with Reed today. He informed me that an inspection of the old cabin would be in order. From looking at the outside of the structure, I can see that Ol' Mother Nature has been pretty good to the cabin over the years. A squirrel family has established residence in the attic in my absence and have made me very aware they do not like sharing "their" house. Think they were trying to play a prank on me because when I tried to open the medicine cabinet, I was greeted with about 2 years supply of acorns from the tree out back. I don't think I have ever seen anyone laugh so hard as Reed did today. After witnessing the river of acorns he said that was the best laugh he had all day. I tried to explain to him that I was not all that familiar with squirrels but for some reason he kept yelling at me to stay on his "good" side. I'm thinking that would be a good idea because he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I want to upset!.

Find out later after checking my mail at the motel that an older couple had witnessed our exchange and they hinted that I should talk into his RIGHT side as he can't hear out of the left. This is something I think should be printed on his business cards as he kept thinking I was talking about bee stings and I was really talking about Packing my things!

I also ran into Julie (used to be Epstein) but I can't remember her married name as I'm terrible remembering things like that. We were childhood friends and used to meet under OUR tree down by the mill. She reminded me that I was the first one she ever kissed and to this day I still blush about that. Life has treated Julie really well. She has a husband Jack, who works down at the lumber yard. Julie tells me that he's a certified board stretcher, whatever that means, and he does really well for himself.

Anyway, I would like to line up an inspection of the old cabin so I can get ahold of Hammerin Hank to complete any repairs deemed necessary. Rumor has it he's pretty good with carpentry and quick too as long as you are not around for him to talk to. Seems that man can gossip like ladies aid on a Monday night meeting. I know the front screen porch needs a little help and i'll do my best to escourt the squirrel family from the attic before you get there. With only 2 bedrooms and a modest living area and kitchen I don't think this will take you too long.

I'm off to Mabel's corner, I hear they are catching some good catfish off the culvert over there.

Until next time.

Bobby,

I ran into Elmer this afternoon. He was just leaving Big Jake's smoke shop with a fist full of those brandy soaked cigars he likes. Turns out him and my grandpa were fishin buddies back in the day and boy did he have some stories. Smoked two full cigars tellin me about the time when Grandpa hooked into what he thought was the biggest fish he had ever seen. After a 45 minute fight, this "fish" started to drag the boat toward shore. Once there they found out that this fish was in fact a 20 lb BEAVER! Guess it's the same one that is stuffed and on display in the coffee table over at the country club. I'll be over to the lodge with the "paperwork" soon as I get done gathering up some supplies. Turns out Hammerin Hank want's to play guide for a day and promises me he can put me on the BIG fish. So to prepare I have purchased an industrial size life jacket and one of those inflatable rafts used by the commercial fisherman. (that one was special order by the way) After seeing the handywork on Hank's boat I think we may need it.

See ya soon and make sure you have one of Frank's specials on the rocks for me while you wait. Should make the paperwork go a little easier.

Jason

Well it turns out that Hammerin Hank is a much better guide than I gave him credit for. After leaving big mouth bay we trotted across the lake for some Pike action over in toothy critter straights. Wouldn't ya know it, that old pontoon we went out on sure held water. I'd say about 30 gallons in the left float and 25 gallons in the right. Every time we'd hit a ripple in the water the front end of the pontoon would start to dive. Think this might have brought back memories of Hank's time in the military because he kept screaming "Battle stations Battle stations ahhhoooooogaaaahhhh" Anyhow, we threw out some bucktails and wouldn't ya know it we got on some fish. I had a pretty good one on and he started takin out some drag. Hank thought this would be a good time to lubricate the gears on my Garcia 6500 baitcaster. Funny how a little gear lube on mono can make a pike strip line. Turns out that he missed the gears and just started dumping oil on my spool which in turn made the mono slippery. After pulling out most of my line I looked down and saw that it was smoking. Thinking I had on one heckova fish i then realized that Hank had just dropped an ash from his cigarette onto my freshly oiled spool of line. That fish got a bucktail for free thanks for asking smile.gif. I'd like to say that the paperwork for my cabin inspection went well but all truth be told I don't remember much of last night. Frank must have made me three too many of his specials.

P.S. Bobby, I thought you were bartending last night? I know you wouldn't do anything like that to me so I figure it must have been Frank. I hear he likes to dabble behind the bar every now and again. Perhaps you can clear that up for me.

Whomever gave me a ride back to the motel last night....thanks

Well I did warn you about Hammering Hank last night but I don't think you remember after Frank served you the second house special of his. By the way I should let you know that Reed the Realtor won 20 bucks on your drinking last night. Never saw anyone do that with a straw before and least not any guy.. You kept talking about having to go back to the country club after you signed the inspection papers. I have never been to the Country club, I did park cars there for awhile one summer but I have never been inside of the place. Kind of looks like you might be running with a whole different crowd here at Lake Iwantobethere will be interesting to find out about those people.

Hank took you out on the pontoon eh. I thought Dug told him that he could not guarantee the welds over the patches that he did. That thing use to hold up the end of Porky's dock till the building caved in on it. Well good to see you got some fishing in, sound like you have the right things in order. You should always go fishing first and find some place to live 2nd ! I take it the little women has not left the motel and seen the cabin yet? As soon as the heat settles down some I'll go over and make the inspection. It has been my experience that when you reopen a cabin that has been closed up as long as yours they tend to be a little ripe. I suggest you open every door and window you can find. I am sure after you bought the third round for the house that there will be no problem with your place. By the way Frank wanted to know if he can add his tip on to your Visa and you can stop by anytime and pick that up.

I was going to bartend but got side tracked and when I got there you were just coming off the table so you might not remember me. Had to get up early this morning and put a door in before it got to hot to work. Going to fish early tomorrow morning so I can beat the heat. I seem to do a lot of work behind Hammering Hank, He does the ruff in and then I come behind and do the finishing work. He put a facet in at Ruby's last month and I was there this afternoon putting the washers that hold the facet back on as they fell off. I felt like an astronaut, I have to get on the floor roll over on to my back shimmy under the sink and try to squeeze through the door to put two washers on in the dark. Not to mention my feet are stuck in the bathtub with no room to turn. Not what I want to do in 90 plus weather and you tell me Hank was out fishing.. Hmmm will have to catch up to him. Well off to take a nap and get ready to fish in the morning. From Lake Iwanttobethere

My neighbor Chuck was over early this morning 4 AM to be exact. We had made plans to go fishing and watch the sunrise on the lake but as he came over you could feel the start of a breeze coming off the lake and we just did not want to fight that so we just pulled up a couple of chairs on the deck and sat back to enjoy sunrise there. Bud and Barney both came out to lay on the deck as I think they have had enough of the humm of the AC for awhile. Better to just hear the leaves in the trees and the branches moving in the wind. The cats Buff and Smoky are busy doing their 4 AM thing which is basically chasing each other through the house as fast as they can go. Come morning you have to take the walk through to see what they have knocked down. For awhile there Bud and Barney were getting blamed but after seeing them take a flower pot down from on top of a 6' cabinet we now know who to blame. We are still baby sitting the son's pit bull Pepper, she is a little trouble maker herself but the cats know when to get back at her. The other morning I watch both cats get between the dog crate and the wall and push the crate away from the wall, just so they could run circles around it and Pepper. They are worse then having the Grand kids over. But then we expect it from the Grand kids, Always exploring and that is a good thing.

So Chuck and I watch the sun come up and a chop on the lake here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Loon out in the bay riding the waves and the old goose is sitting on the dock. Bud has his eye on him and I am sure sooner or later he will get up and take a run at him. Just to lazy being a dog right now to care. Funny how a little heat around here puts everyone in a slower pace, at least the locals anyway. The tourist coming in still have to get there dollars worth out of their vacation. Not that we mind at all. We just take a little longer getting things done when it gets this hot. Maybe because we have done it when we were young and it does not matter if you do it fast or slow it will still get done. Grass needs mowing but it will still be there when it cools down, Should go fishing but they still be there tomorrow. I should finish staining that fence and I know that will still be there tomorrow. Grand kids will be over later today to swim and I think I will just turn the sprinkler on and let it drip on me. Actually today is a good day to be a kid again. I drive down the street and I envy them kids, If I only knew then what I know now. I sure would take advantage of that 3 month summer vacation. I'd fish everyday, play kick the can. Get my buddies together for some baseball, even if we did not have enough guys we still managed to play. We would just change the rules a little. Like pitchers hand or nothing to left field. Go walk the railroad tracks, put your ear to the track and see if you could hear the click of a train. Buy a pop at the general store and sit out on the wood steps and watch the cars go by. Later it would be watch the girls go by. Pooling our money together to buy gas so we could cruising.

If we were lucky we could make it to the drive in. I have been to the drive in so many times but I cannot remember a single movie I ever saw there. To busy I guess. Someone would sneak in a bottle of wine and ten guys would swear they got a buzz off it. The old Crooks Brothers cigars. Yup summer rights of passage. Now I can still do all though things but of course it is different. No drive in's anymore. I can buy a good bottle of wine and I have to look to find then little cigars but not the same if you are not with your buddies trying not to get caught. Still looking at girls so some things have not changed. But if I was a kid again I think I might have spent more time watching sunrises with my friends. Not necessarily girlfriends either. Sitting on the deck with Chuck we don't talk much, just stare off watching that orange globe slowing rising up over the water of Lake Iwanttobethere We give each other a glance and a nod of the head, don't have to say anything. That's what friends do... From Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby,

Unless I am missing something, I believe you have the wrong idea about us over at the country club. Years ago perhaps it was a prestigious organization with even a little secrecy however, today it's just an average joe hangout that just happens to have the best wednesday night ribs I have ever had. Marv, he's the grill master at the club, tried this new BBQ recipe on Wed. Didn't quite work the way he wanted so he threw the whole rack into the trash. Wouldn't ya know it but here comes Bud and a friend I have never seen before. I tell ya those two hounds ate like kings that night and you could see it all the way across the parking lot by the BBQ smiles each of them had.

Marv is very particular about the way he grills and if you get in his way he can be dangerous. I have heard rumors that Deputy Ronnie tried to sneak a taste in one night. Supposedly, when Ronnie stuck his finger into the BBQ sauce, Marv came from across the deck and threw his tongs at him like a ninja would do with those throwing stars they carry. Now Ronnie has a scar just above his right eye that is just about the size of those tongs but when we asked him where that scar came from, he just looked away and said he didn't want to talk about it.

Sorry about getting up on the table the other night. I heard a few stories floating around about me the next day and I have to remember that I'm not in the big city anymore. I get back to the Motel and the Mrs. is standing at the door.....fit to be tied. So I go sit on the chair by the desk and take my beating like a true married man does (with both ears closed). I guess I can't complain too much, 5 minutes of "difference of opinion" and then 3 hours of sitting on the bluff admiring our soon to be home. I told Hammerin Hank to get ahold of you and start on repairs. Hopefully we'll be able to move in the end of next week.

Until next time

Well sitting here enjoying the 95 degree heat I decide to do what has been suggested and print out Lake Iwanttobethere. I guess we can call it a book as 120 pages later I hold in my hand Lake Iwanttobethere. I am going to sit back and read it myself as it has gotten to big to keep to memory. I want to thank everyone who has written a chapter Nytelyter, Ifallsron, Dan Thiem, Blaze, Mt net, Ironman, Wxguy, Peatmoss, Northlander, Pineyeye, The Duckslayer,1lkstage, Ihateriversnags, Mr Perch, McGurk and of course FOOT

The story keeps growing but I have notice that there has been promises of trips to Lake Iwanttobethere but no follow up stories. There is still a outboard motor waiting at the bait shop for someone and I am sure a lot of stories to be told of fish caught and lost. We are close to 4500 hits on this little story so someone out there is reading them and I am sure has a story to add or two.

From Lake I wantobethere will there is always a cool breeze somewhere..

Like I said in the other forum, I have printed off this story for my dad to read while at the lake. Let me tell ya that there is nothing better than sitting at the lake with a beverage of choice in hand watching the sun come up and reading about Lake Iwanttobethere while sitting in a chair on the deck AT the lake. Kind of funny that even while on vacation AT the lake, Lake Iwanttobethere is still with me.

Was sitting on the bench down by memorial park with the Mrs. and saw a few kids out playing today. They had a newer version of what we used to call a "slip and slide". This one however had an added feature that supposedly made the thrill even greater by putting a blow up alligator mouth down by the end. Once you got through the mouth of this beast, there was a bump that would send you flying in the air and come to a screeching halt in a smaller wading type pool.

Seeing this I began to tell my wife about the old days on the tire swing we had hanging from the huge oak tree off the bluff in front of the cabin. Thought I saw a fragment of rope still hanging from that tree the other day and didn't think much of it until now. Tommy Kaiser and I used to swing from the edge of the bluff out i'd say 20 feet off the water. Once we let go it was a contest to see who could do the most flips while in the air. Most of these aerial stunts would end up in one giant bellyflop and the subsequent pain that would follow. My dog Chief who has long since passed, tried it once but he forgot to let go of the rope and started growling and shaking his head. By the time he figured out what he was supposed to do he was back on the bluff and just jumped down onto the ground, looked at us as if to say: Gee guys I don't know what the big deal is?

Of course he couldn't understand that we were doing that to try and impress the neighbor girls who were always out on the lawn next door sunning themselves. I then told my wife that it was truly amazing the dumb and crazy things that boys will do to try and impress the girls. She agreed and wondered aloud if I was the only one that did stuff like that.

So my question for everyone is simply what kinds of things did you do to impress the girls next door? For me it was always the Nicholson girls. Not twins but certainly could pass for twins. I think Nancy was the older one and Natalie was the younger of the two but I may be confused.

From Lake Iwanttobethere....

with the weather being to hot to be on the water.I am sitting here thinking about all the good times I have had on the west end of the lake on sylvia/twin bay. my grand parents had a cabin there. and although i dont have any memories of my grandfather,as he passed away when i was 2,i do think very fondly of the great times i did have with my grandmother there. being that i was her godchild, i was blessed to spend a whole week, every summer, with her at the lake. i am sure that is what gives me the call to water as much as anything else. that bay was a fully spring fed bay and you could see bottom in thirty feet of water. it also holds some very deep water as i recall there is two holes there that are over 70 feet deep. hours would be spent snorkeling the rocky shoreline looking for agates. i remember having boxes full of them and funny thing is i do not remember where they ever went. being as it was spring fed it was very cold water and, as kids, our parents would have to fight us to keep out of the water till after memorial day weekend. fotrh of july at the cabin was always enjoyed as my older cousins would bring lots of fireworks to shoot off the dock. and the anticipation off all the fireworks that would go off all around the shoreline. i remember the one summer night that it was just gramma and me during a mid week stay there. and a terrible thunder storm brewed up across the bay saw a lightening strike on the far shoreline and that was enough for grandma we were off to the boat house below the cabin to wait it out. power went out and after it had passed we returned back up to the main level of the cabin sat at the snack bar and had a bit of dinner by candle light. and listened to the portable radio of damage that occurred very close by by a tornado that had touched down about 3-4 miles away at the local trailer park. fortuneatly no one was very hurt, but as we drove by it the next day there was alot of damage. i also remember the huge crappies we would catch just three docks down from ours bigger than my dads hands and my father like i do now has very big hands. i remember the uncles trying to be the first ones on our shoreline to get the dock in and the very cold bodies that would come out of the water after wards. and hehehe head for the christian brothers brandy for a warm up shot. the countless fish that we caught off of the pontoon and then later would clean and cook them up to be served with sweet corn tator salad cole slaw and cold cold watermelon for dessert.oh and haveing to wait forty five minutes to go back into the water after eating. my father and uncles salvaged one of those old tube like fire-escapes from the old catholic school in the town were we grew up and hauled it upto the lake and they would assemble it each spring it went from the patio next to the cabin right down the hill into the water. and the countless trips back up the stairs so we could slide down again and again. hehehehe i just had a chuckle about my grandma's never ending battle with "THOSE PESKY LITTLE RED SQUIRRELS" she was a heck of a shot with her single shot remington 22 short but it was funny when she would miss one as it would sit and chatter at her like" missed me missed me neener neener neener" lol we had a bunk house next the access road to our part of the lake and you were grown up enough when you got to sleep in there. the adults would get into late night sheephead games. for pennies. and us kids would always have to wait till noon when the sun hit the shoreline before we could go swimming. i remember the saturday flea market and going to see aunt francie and her husband on clearwater bay a few miles away from our cabin. wow i think i have written about enough for now. and bobby i do promise to sneak into town and pick up my motor at the bait shop. i am sure you will know when it is gone as i also know of how word travels around the lake. god bless you and the memories you conjour up in our minds about our favorite bays on lakeiwanttobethere. ... paul

Nytelyter.. Now that is a story....you got me wishing for a ride down that tube.. Heheh would have loved to have your grandma meet up with my grandma. She fed the squirrels before she would feed us. I am sure there would have been a great debate about the merits of squirrels..I do believe you have found your place here on Lake Iwanttobethere

Good stuff..Where is all of my good stuff? When I was a kid growing up on Lake Iwantobethere I had a lot of good stuff. I had this huge snapping turtle shell that I found and brought back to the cabin. I remember when we would play pirate and we would be washed up on the shore with nothing to eat but turtle soup. I had that old black bat that was always a sure bet for a hit over the top of Tommy Morrison head in a close game. I had crates of soda bottles at 2 cents a piece behind the shed, My spending money. My trusty 10 speed, candy apple green bike, I was going to buy a vet and have it painted in that color. For years and years I would see a vet and think candy apple green or see candy apple green and think vet. Where is my fiberglass fishing pole that I bought at the hardware store with my money I collected from selling night crawlers. Where is my canvas paper bag that I delivered newspapers in. 93 dailies in a 4 block area, it was a great route till I had to go and collect my money. Spent more time collecting then delivering. Old Mr. Olson who would tell me to hold my hands together and then pour pennies from a jar into them and tell me to say stop when I think I had enough for the papers and then would just keep pouring.

Where is all my good stuff? I know I could never have thrown any of it away. I had 25 pairs of straight leg Levi jeans. Some day I was going to lose weight and they would all fit again.

I had that Piano tackle box filled with 6/0 hooks and hundreds of those #8 long shank ones. Where did that go? Some where around here there is my old Sears metal tool box, with the slit cut open so I could put my square in and still close the box. Hmm I wonder where that is. Good stuff, I would never get rid if it but I don't remember where it went now. How come I still see good stuff that my grandparents had here at the cabin. I can't remember how old the canvas back chairs on the deck are, Although my wife reminds me each time she has to sew another patch on the canvas. Those fish on the wall, some of them are 40 years old but I still remember the stories of how and where they were caught like gramps telling me yesterday. I can look from the deck and still see Gramps pointing to the tree on the point where that Northern took his sucker and the dragged him and the old row boat around the bay. All good stuff... Think I am beginning to understand when he would sit in his rocker out on the deck and watch a thunderstorm rolling across the waters of Lake Iwantobethere. "Good Stuff" I hear him say. I can remember my dad at the Thanksgiving table leaning back in his chair with family all around him, kids yelling and women fussing and say " Good Stuff" to no one in particular.

For me a few weeks ago I drove with the son and my three grand kids fighting in the back of the car. From out of no where as they dropped me off at the house and drove away I said to no one in particular. " Good Stuff" maybe you don't ever lose your good stuff as long as you remember it. Good stuff can be anything I guess. Last night at 1:30 in the morning a brief thunderstorm came racing down the hill to head out over the lake. Warm rain water fell and lightning flashed for ten minutes and the air cooled. When it was done I said to no one in particular " Good Stuff" my daughter who was sitting in the swing next to me said "what was that dad?" I just said " you'll find out" from Lake I wantobethere