• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin report for Lake Iwanttobethere..

Bobby Bass

Well depending on where you went on Lake Iwanttobethere opening weekend. The weather was bad or poor. At sunrise the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere were warmer then the air above them. Boats were spread across the lake like someone dropped a bag of marbles on a driveway. From the Lodge deck you could just make out the different colored hats bobbing away on the water. Several boats tied up down at the Marina and there is a pretty good crown of trucks down at the Masterbaiters. Seems a lot of people hit the water at midnight only to be back in by 1AM The Dew Drop Inn and Amy's opened their doors at 2 and the coffee and conversation has been hot since then. A few eyes were caught and paraded around. Funny, if this was October very few boats would have ventured out, but this is openner and in a few years tales will be told of the opener of 06

Mindy and Many were at the launch but instead of their revealing bibs they were wearing neoprene. Form fitting but just not the same thing. Chuck and I packed up camp and trolled back to the main lake. We had a few hits but didn't land anything. With a lull in the rain we will go and hit the river for a few hours this afternoon. Water is high so that will be interesting. Masterbaiters stayed open all night. Did a steady business but a lot of people were there for the heat from the old pot belly stove. A lot of heads were put together in a constant strategy session on where to go next and what had worked in the past may not work today. Old timers gave their views and young bucks just wanted to go out and try out their new hi-tec fishing gear. There are a few over in the corner, you can hear their teeth chattering.

Town is full, resorts are all book full and I think every light is on. All the bars can start serving at 8 but most are just pouring coffee and hot cider. A lot of fishermen are waiting for the weather to break and are standing on docks and looking out windows at those who are still on the water. More rain is in the forecast with the winds picking up. But here on Lake Iwanttobethere we have so many places to go that I am sure there will be some good fishing stories to come out this weekend. Bud spent the night sleeping at the Lodge but Barney has been at the Marina dock greeting everyone coming back in and trying to get a ride out. He finally gave up and is now sleeping at the Lodge to. Most of the locals are all working, will be later in the week till they get out. A few will be floating bobbers off the dock and some fish will be caught and dinner will be served. You can feel the heartbeat of the town pick up a few beats, it's fishing season again here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Poor opener? Naw as the name implies I'm a bass man them walleys are just for eating grin.gifI can always catch them off my dock. Just good to get out to the lake, another Kodak moment with snow melting in the frying pan as I cooked up some ham and eggs. About that time to run off to the river to check that out, All I need is a few fish for mother day's dinner... From Lake Iwanttobethere have a good one.

Today we look into one of the finest fishermen that I know of here at Lake Iwanttobethere. My daughters dog Barney. Barney stays here during fishing season and then returns to his winter home as we like to call it during the off season. My daughter watches my two old labs during the summer and then sends them back come winter to be with me. Well when Barney was about 10 months old he was sitting on the dock watching a bobber I had out for a passing northerns. When the bobber went down he would bark away until I came down and picked up the rod. Well his first summer here he got very good at being a dock dog and if I did not have a rod out he would go over and watch Chuck's or Elmers dock. One evening Elmer had a walleye on and he dropped the rod, Elmer getting up there in years is not as spry as he used to be so he yelled at Barney to fetch the rod. Barney ran the rod down before it went off the dock and started to back up with rod handle in mouth. Well we had a fight going on, the walleye was a tugging away and Barney was giving then gaining ground on the wet dock surface. Elmer slapping his leg thought this was better then going in to town to see a movie and just offered encouragement. After several minutes the walleye was landed and with it the start of Barney's fishing career.

Elmer took a hankering to Barney and he is over there a lot, as a matter of fact he is never really home as he dock fishes all over the Lake. Some of the locals use him as a fish pointer, If they are cruising down the shoreline and see Barney dock fishing then it is worth a stop. Fishing is usually pretty good in the area that Barney dock fishes. When Barney was four it was the big northern fight. Barney was over at Chuck's dock fishing when a big northern took the bait and spooled him. The northern was so big that he managed to pull Barney to the end of the dock. The rod was pulled from Barney's mouth and fell into the lake. Now this is where it gets interesting, Barney barking up a storm woke up his brother Bud. Now Bud is the hunting version of Barney a big bruit of a lab he lives for hunting season. On the run he sees what is happening and with a big splash he jumps off the dock and swims down the rod. Clamping down on the handle he turns and makes his way back to shore. Well of course all of this noise and splashing has brought out a few cabin owners to their docks. We all watch as Bud passes off the handle to Barney who then continues his battle with the northern but now has the firm footing of the beach.

After about 30 minutes or so a crowd has gathered in boats and standing on the docks to watch Barney finally drag the northern to shore. Bud goes into the water and grabs the tail and with the final pull beaches the Northern. Standing like only a lab can he places a paw on the back of the fish and strikes a pose. Barney lays down on the beach and sighs.. Chuck and Elmer retrieve the fish and quickly weigh and measure her. Slipping her back into the water they are rewarded with a splash and a swirl as she slips back into the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere. I put down the 2.50 entry fee at the Masterbaiters and Barney has a northern in the annual fishing contest. He takes 2nd place that year.

A local who's uncle was some fly fishermen named Wolf worked with Barney last year teaching him how to fly fish. Barney stands in the shallows and holds a small rod with about 6' of leader and a fly. He does quite well with the sunnies.......from Lake Iwanttobethere Have a good fishing day.

Now that spring is here and fishing has started we can look forward to summer. The cabin furnace is off and I slept last night with the windows open. At 4 I woke up to the sound of rain falling, again. Sounds a little different with the windows open, almost as good as hearing it fall on a tent roof.. Just as I was falling back to sleep the 4:05 train came rumbling by. Something about that heavy train in the damp night. The sound just seems to carry. It come by twice a day but you never really notice it unless the air is heavy. Been busy around here got the fence up for the grand kids but #2 son brought me a present. He had to leave down for a job and now I have his Pit and 6 puppies. Does it ever end? My kids just keep bring me things. So now the fence in area is a playground for puppies and the kennel that has not seen any use for 6 years is a new home. Wife has been after me to take it down and I have resisted, and now it is back in use again.. I have been strutting around with that I told you so look..

Taking care of the honey do list, looking at getting some serious fishing in here on the lake. Has been pretty slow with water high on the river. Had a nice spring till that 10 days of rain but we are drying out and warming up. Greenhouse is starting to get green to. About time was starting to worry there.

Town hall meeting last night, everyone report a good weekend despite the rain and wind. No problems at the public landing and the Masterbaiters have started their fishing contest. So far a 6# walleye and a 13# Northern head the list. A lot of loons on the lake this year several nesting pairs have been seen. Nothing like the call of a loon at sunset. I wonder how many people when hearing a call of a loon trigger a loon Kodak moment. I can't think of anything bad except for my on going attempt to catch Mr. Big. Another week and that part of the lake will be open and I'll be after him again.

Horseshoe league has started, every Wednesday night. I sub in the league but am to busy to toss every week. Don't want to miss a good bite on the lake. I used to golf a lot even had a season pass to our local links but I found myself golfing everyday cuz that was paid for. My fishing suffered so after a year I put the clubs away. A man does have to have his priorities straght!

Dang Reed the Realtor waves at me every night as he trolls by, rubbing it in that he is fishing while I am busy getting my list done.. I have a good mind to haul that old box spring out from the shed in put it off my dock right where he trolls.. .No jet skiers as of yet, But people stay away from my bay ever since Elmer bought that old jet ski and that mannequin. He impaled it on a log out in front of his dock. I made a donation and got the pink flamingoes moved from my front yard to MPLS people bluff out look. Caused quite a stir as the Eagles passing through though it was a free lunch and started to dive bomb the house picking off the flamingoes heads. They moved them to their garage and are looking for a new home for them.

Well week and half till fishing really opens and then we will have some fishing reports for you from here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Hope your luck has been better then mine as of late. So from the boys Bud and Barney the Pit and her 6 puppies, the three cats and the one kitten and have a good day.

My wife and I took some time and made it up to Lake Iwanttobethere this last weekend. While I was unsure of what to expect, we were both pleasantly surprised on our arrival.

We checked in over at "Old Man Peabody's" which if I understood correctly is the motel/laundromat/auto body shop. The early morning hammering in the body shop was broadcast over the speaker for your wake up call. Rather efficient I think. Not only that but the pulse of the hammer just happened to match the pulse of my headache. Plus, once they get the paint booth up and running again, they won't have to buy air fresheners for the rooms anymore. Nothing like waking up to the smell of fresh dewey ground, bacon and eggs cooking in ma's kitchen and blue #13 from the paint booth.

Still taking some time to look around and get the feel for the place so we are wondering if anyone can recommend good places to visit? I keep hearing about the widow Hess. Seems that her place must be some kind of local famous landmark or something. Will check in later and tell ya what we found!

Busy week here as the Lake is coming up to speed. All the business along the water are already in mid season form. Masterbaiters is getting daily shipments in as they are doing a booming business and the Beer distributor is on a first name basis with just about everyone in town. The Lodge had a silent auction yesterday but since it was silent Sunday we will have to wait today to find out what we won.

Barney had a run in with the new game warden, our own warden has retired and moved to the far end of the lake. A new guy just out of the academy has taken his place. He watched Barney catch and land a 15" walleye off Pearson dock and followed him home with it. I guess I was at fault as I told Barney not to come home unless he was bring supper. Anyway the new C O said that Barney fishing was illegal and that at the very least he needed to have a license. Of course this became a round table discussion at the lodge. We always knew that we would have to count Barneys catch as part of our own when out on the water but what if like the other day he was fishing on his own. The point was made that he is only 6 and should not require a license and then be entitled to his own limit. The old warden happen to be visiting with the Widow Hess and heard about our problem and took the young CO out for a discussion. I think the problem is solved but all I got from the new CO when I saw him this morning was a curt nod of his head so I don't know if we are going to have a problem or not. Should be real interesting when Bud starts duck hunting this fall.

Speaking of Bud he has his own problem, there is a big old goose that comes back every spring and he is back now. There is a problem with who owns what shoreline. Pretty much a standoff. Bud does have to pick his spots as to where he can sleep as the goose will come and peck him on the rump if he finds him out in the open. The same can be said for Bud, if he finds the goose not paying attention he will take a quiet run at him. Just last night the goose was down on the beach and I saw Bud running hard, fast and low go screaming down the hillside like a fighter plane on a mission. Just as he got on top of the goose the goose reared up and flared his wings. Bud trying to avoid a collision went air borne flying over the top of the goose to land several feet out into the lake. A few barks and a few honks and they both settled back down. Barney just turned his head and continued to fish off the dock.

Down to three puppies as a few have been sold this week, That is good, forgot how big a mess a bunch of puppies can make and how much food they can go through. Of course there are some advantages to having puppies. When I go into town I bring a few puppies with and the ladies do make a point to come over and chat and pet the puppies. Bud just rolls his eyes at me, he knows I did the same thing with him when he was young. Four more days till bass season starts and I will be heading to my favorite little bay to hopefully do battle with Mr. Big This just may be the year. I have been eyeing a few new lures and maybe I can find the one that will entice Mr. Big. Well time to go down to the dock and get the mail, You all have a good day from lake Iwanttobethere

Not to many days away from memorial weekend and of course the mower races! Going to be a busy weekend as the real fishing season of BASS will be on Saturday and then races on Monday. Have been out in the shed tinkering away on my slightly modified MTD 18 hp tractor. I have the deck off and somehow after it fell off the trailer I can't get the metal hood to sit back down over the engine so now we are going to go with the Ben Hur look. I am looking to make it to the feature against the go carters so I will need that added protection. I was at Walmart yesterday and found a really nice wiffle bat as my choice of weapon. I am wrapping it in fiberglass for added strength. Chuck has been over eyeing my machine as he has stated something about cleaning my clock with his gocart/plow mobile. I might just contest it if he can enter that thing. Elmer wants to enter a walk behind mower but we told him there is no class for that. He don't care he just wants something to haul his cooler of beer on.

Lot of geese coming through in the afternoon. Bud was chasing the big old goose down on the beach till a flight of about 30 birds settled down. He quickly backed off and started howling for reinforcements. Within minutes around the lake you could hear the echo of dogs calling back and forth. Of course nothing happen as that kind of thing only happens in a Walt Disney movie. Bud was last seen heading for the Lodge. He knows when he is out numbered. After a few hours the birds took to the sky but the old goose is still here, last I saw he was eating Buds food from his bowl.

Glad to hear that a few new faces are coming out to visit and fish here on Lake Iwanttobethere. Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop has been giving out a lot of tips to new comers. The resorts are full and the Dew Drop Inn and Amy's are doing a good business. Del's pizza gun is a success as he has been running a special all this week. The new warden expressed a concern when a pizza was fired across the bow of his boat, But Del gave him a discount on dinner that night. Weather has been fair but still cooling off in the evening. No skeeters yet but I have a bad feeling that with the rain that we had they will be out in force soon. That one year they were so bad we thought we just had flights of geese's and it was actually sketters flying low and slow. Some of them were so big that Elmers was shooting them with his 20ga off his dock. Boat is ready to go, been eying Mr. Big's bay with some anticipation I must admit. All I want to do is look him in the eye and let him know that I know that he knows that I know...Himm now I forgot what I wanted to know.

Well I'm headed for the Lodge, boys from Horseshoes should just about be done and I think It is about time to tap a new keg of Hamms. Bud is already down there and Barney is spending the night at Elmers, they are going fishing in the morning. Just about all done with the honey dew list so my weekend should be free to fish. Hope to run into some of you, just wave and look for the puddle humper out on the water. If you get a chance stop by the island off the public access and visit Mindy and Mandy. There should be a new batch of root beer ready to be served.

On a sad note one of the puppies died last night. Ma was sick and sluggish and one of her puppies was not strong enough to fight off what ever was the problem. My granddaughter declared that she would be the nurse and took to giving the puppy a lot of love and attention in his last few hours. He just stopped eating and would not take any fluids. He died being loved, can't think of a better way to go. Funny how a puppy can bring so many people together, as soon as both Chuck and Elmer found out we were having trouble they dropped everything and came over to help out. Three grown men with a world of life experiences between them and all we could do is watch a 4 year old take care of the puppy. As we sat around we tried to prepare the granddaughter for what we knew was going to happen we spoke of life and death .The circle of life and how a little one can put things together. She could not understand how a puppy that was running all over yesterday could just be limp in her hands today. For us it brought back memories of countless dogs between us as we all have had several and we are getting up there in years. Never gets easier. Tugs at me to know that I will have to go through this at least twice more as I have Bud and Barney and I am sure that there will be a new puppy or two for me down the road. I just can't see myself with out a dog. She handled it like a champ. We will be having a funeral this morning. Elmer went home and I could hear him out in his wood shop, this morning when I got up to let Bud out there was a small wooden box on the deck, with a note from Elmers just saying " for the pup" I checked on the granddaughter and she was sleeping with the pup's ma. I went back to the kitchen to find Chuck poring a cup of coffee, " need some help" he said. I nodded and we put the puppy in Elmers box and we carried it over to the big spruce that over looks Lake Iwanttobethere. With Bud watching we took care of business. With the old goose coming in for a look Bud took off after him and drove him away, This was one spot the goose was not going to be claming. Rubbing Bud behind the ears we walked back to the cabin. The other puppies were up and yelping and it's another day here at Lake Iwanttobethere.......in memory of a puppy that never got named but will not be forgotten

Watching the sunrise here at Lake Iwanttobethere after a memorable memorial weekend. Pretty much started on Friday night as the caravan of folks from down south driving their mini vans and pulling their big boats invaded the public campgrounds. I along with a few friends from the Lodge brought lawn chairs down to the access and with our scorecards we started to grade boat launches. They did pretty well considering that some of them had been pulling their rigs for hours and when those little trucks went in the water some of them did not come back out. Of course Hammering Hank was there at the ready with the tractor and just yanked them right out. A few said thanks, a few offered a few dollars and more then a few complained about the landing. Gee us locals don't have any problem with it. With that being said we turned off the lights at the Lodge after a few of them made it up the incline thinking that we were a public drinking establishment. Won't be the first time we have drank in the dark.

Saturday morning brought on the wind but a nice day for all, access stayed busy as even more people arrived, Mini donuts could be smelled all over the lake and the Masterbaiters shop was busy sending out fishermen. Also the fishing contest was in full swing and the first weigh in was at 5 the locals knew it but the visitors had a few complaints. That got even more interesting later that day when they started to get the softball infield ready for Mondays go cart racing. Seems a few people had decide it was a nice level place to pitch tents and easy to find with the signs. Our new local warden agree to help out in clearing the area and once again we brought out the lawn chairs to enjoy the event. Again a lot of complaints and something about the campers being tax payers and could camp any where in the state they wanted to because they had a camping permit, of course it was expired two years ago and was for South Dakota.

Sunday things had calmed down a bit. Silent Sunday of course and the Lodge was a good place to hide out, From our deck we could see a lot of boats bobbing around on the waters of Lake Iwanttobethere Everyone was happy, resorts are full, bars are making money and every so often you can hear the boom of Del's pizza shop sending another pizza skipping across the lake. Dug was out collecting cooking oil from all the restaurants and had so much he was leaving a trail behind him on his way back to the shop. A few complaining about that to as they would step in it and then leave behind prints in their flip flops. Quite a trail leading towards the Widow Hess cabin for some reason. Mindy and Mandy were doing a booming business selling root beer off the island, Sunday did get a tad warm and once people pulled in it took a while before they left, Of course if they were fishing with there wives they were in and out.

Monday afternoon brought on the races in the park. The softball bleachers were filled and we started off with the small mowers and moved right on up to the open end machines we hardly a hitch this year. Go carts were next and there is not as many of them but their races are ten laps. A couple of spin out and a really nice dock launch by Dug he really got some air as he left the track and ran off the dock into the bay. As he was retrieving his cart the new warden was there with his ticket book and something about pollution. Last I heard of that was Dug was claiming he was using bio fuel and no gas was involved. Well then at 5 it was the big feature race off between the mowers and the go carts, I was lucky enough to win two races that day and was in the front row. I had been having problems with my mower as one cylinder was on again and off again but I figure I had enough for Chuck and his Go fart cart. We got a clean start and were heading into the first turn when my beeper went off, I noticed other drivers were trying to get to theirs also. We are members of the local volunteer fire dept. and we all wear pagers and they were all going off. Well Rusty the fire chief was the first to turn off the track and head down main street soon others followed and I was right there with them. Now it was looking like one of them Paris auto races as we zipped and zoomed between tourists going down main street. In the distance we could see a huge cloud of black smoke. Looked like Dug's garage. As we made the turn we hit the grease trail left behind from Dug, Driving got interesting here as we lost control and our now grease covered wheels made us slide from one side of the street to the other. The racks of flowers were the first things to go at the general store as two go carts lost control and took out the rack. The awing in front of Reed the Realtor was next when a mower hit the corner post dead on. Fighting threw a cloud of flower petals I managed to miss the scatter wood shakes from the awing. As I pulled out of my turn there ahead I could see the smoke. Later I was to find out that Dug had welded three turkey deep fryers together and was going to deep fry a piglet, But he had added to much oil and when the piglet hit the oil the oil hit the fire and then started his grease trail on fire heading back towards main street. Now all I see is streak of fire heading my way and mowers and carts spinning out and coming back at me. Everyone pulls to a stop and that is when we hear it.... Kind of like that noise from War of the Worlds. A deep loud chilling sound coming back from the Lake.. Looking at Chuck through grease covered goggles we both know what it is.. The Lodge's siren works!! Hi five's between Lodge members as we get off our mowers and slap each other on the back. Shaking hands we notice that the grease fire is still working it's way down main street. But the reason for the siren is here, at that moment the annual memorial thunderstorm appears and with hail and raindrops like dimes we are driven to seek shelter at the Dew Drop Inn. In a minute the fire is out. We quickly order a round and declare the race a draw.

Meanwhile back at the Masterbaiters shop, Barny shows up with a 15" walleye, since he is the only one at the 5 PM weigh in he is declared the winner and awarded the trophy and a summer of free bait. He takes a doz crawlers and heads back to Elmers dock. Hope you had a good weekend, from Lake Iwanttobethere..

Looks like summer is officially here, Temps up into the 80's today and we had our first real thunderstorm on Monday. Hammering Hank is down working at the mini strip mall repairing the awing that went down during the adventures of the memorial race day fire dept. call out. Our local insurance adjuster was out checking on claims and he had a eye witness view of the event as it was his mower that took the post out. He was claming dry rot and saying the insurance company did not have to cover the claim and then kicked the next post over to prove his point, Nothing happen till the 3rd kick when the post gave way. The awing then complete it's trip all the way to the ground. Our adjuster then approved the claim and ok'd Hank to start replacing the posts.

Other then some smoke damage at Dug's garage he was just fine. After the oil had stop flowing over the top off the deep fryer it worked just fine and we had a tasty dinner. Of course by then we had a few rounds at the Dew Drop Inn and almost anything that was not burnt to bad would taste good. The park is a mess but Mindy and Mandy are down there cleaning things up. Since it is a warm day news travels fast here as the girls are in there middle of the summer bibs and a lot of the guys are down there watching and eating lunch. Had breakfast with Elmer this morning at Amy's he was complaining about the geese flying over his house all night long honking away, Chuck said they were bothering him last night also. I just smiled and said nothing. On Saturday I received my new audio copy of Northwoods Honkers and have been playing it at night on the outdoor speakers. When they get really sick of it I'll turn it off.

Dug has a full garage as there were more then a few fender benders involved in the mower races. He is busy putting decks on and sharpening blades as with yesterdays rain those mowers will have to start cutting grass. Here at Lake Iwanttobethere we have a town law stating that no mowers may be ran on the weekends so there is a demand to get them back before Friday. As you can imagine there is a clearance sale on flowers at the general store. With or with out pots you can get a good deal today. Insurance adjuster is also at Del's today as he hit some tourists Lund with a sausage and double cheese pizza from the pizza cannon. Didn't do no real damage but scared the hell out of him when he saw the pan skipping across the water to nick the top of his boat and continue on out to the pontoon where it was picked up. I think Del is offering some free coupons and let the guy shoot a couple of pies off.

A few branches down in the yard here and the Lodge needs some clean up done also. We are still back slapping over the success of our siren working. Some people did describe it as sounding more like a fog horn then a siren but it made noise and lots of it. I know a lot of people in the park decide to leave early as it was quite loud it being pointed that way. I am pretty well set for bobbers this season as with the high winds of yesterdays storm it washed in several dozens bobbers into my bay. Also a nice collection of boat bumpers and two floating chairs. Of course the locals are getting smart and writing their names down on everything so I will have to return them. Well I better get at it. Time to start planting the garden and I will have to go out and do some tilling and check the wire on my electric fence. An on going battle with Bambi and all her relatives. From Lake Iwanttobethere Have a good day.

Looks like we are in the summer pattern early here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Wake up to sunny skies and by afternoon it clouds up some and we get a good rain storm every other afternoon. Skeeters are big out here, There was a few complaints at the Lodge that they were so big they were interfering with trap night as a few were shot and not counted as a score. We received a new skylight from the Mpls people. They have the ongoing concern about our leaking Lodge roof. It was decide that since we have just the one new skylight that we should install it where we have the worse leak, killing two holes with one so to speak. So the other night we all sat in the lodge with drinks in hand, actually two one to drink and then the other was an empty glass to catch water from the leak that you were sitting under. The one with the glass that filled first was the winner. But we found out that we had a clear cut winner in the women's bathroom. As there was a leak so big there it was coming from the roof and filling the toilet, when the toilet was full it was flushing itself. We never would have know about it since we don't have any female lodge members but Elmer was stationed outside the bathroom in the hall and he kept hearing the toilet flush.

We installed the new skylight but now we want to change bathrooms so we can all enjoy it. But we have some troubles in rearranging the bathrooms. First of all the women's bathroom has that outer room with the TV and couch and the floor to ceiling mirrors. The men's room just has that metal wall unit and the double air blow dryer. That and a lot of guys don't want to be going in any room that is painted pink. Also no one wanted to move the chalk board from the men's room so I guess no one will see the new skylight but it did fix the leak.

Just when I think I am done with the Honey Do List I find another entry on it it or on the way to scratch off one job complete I add something that I find. Of course no job is ever just that job. I mean even to mow the grass you got to check the oil then go buy some oil cuz you were out and then make a second trip because the spark plug needs changing also and then a trip to the gas station to get mower gas and as long as you are there you put some gas in the truck and you check the truck oil and see you are down a quart so it is back to the store for another quart of oil because you are not going to pay gas station prices for oil. Back home to mow the lawn and when you are all done and put the mower way you take out the weed wacker only to find out you are out of line so back to the store this time with a list so you will not have to make a return trip, even pat your self on the back for buying a spare spark plug just in case only to get home and realize that the spark plug was the right size for the old wacker but no where close to being the right size for the new wacker. So do you return the plug or hang it on the wall. On the wall it goes right next to the right size plug you had all the time but was hid behind a rag. With the mowing done you can now check that off your list, for a week as everything is growing like crazy with all the rain. Good thing you can still just sit on the dock and watch a bobber float and the beer bottles have twist off caps, Can't remember where I put that bottle cap opener, Will have to think about finding that someday, around here some where. From Lake Iwanttobethere you have a good day I am done with chores and honey do lists, at least till she comes home!

One of my favorite times here on Lake Iwanttobethere this morning. I woke up to the sound of distant rolling thunder as a storm is moving by here at Lake Iwanttobethere. An over cast sky and a very light drizzle is falling. Since it is warm out the light drizzle is hardy even a nuisance. Looking out over the lake I see the occasional flash of lightning then hear the rolling of thunder through the heavy sky. Barney is already at the edge of the dock looking back at me, tail wagging. Ah what the heck I take a quick peak over my shoulder to make sure the misses don't see me and I slip into the old wood row boat and shove off. Barney jumps in behind me and heads for his place in the bow. I check the cooler and see I still have a few crawlers in there from yesterday when the son was using the boat fishing with the grandson. Very unusual to find bait left over. Checking to make sure the boat tackle box is in place I settle in to the center seat and put the oars out into the still water. With a practiced tug I lean into the oars and start to glide across the water. A long gentle vee appears at the bow and spreads out behind me as I cruse across the water. I am in rhythm now and as I row I see a flash in the distant and then in my mind I count of one Mississippi two Mississippi three Mississippi four Mississippi and then hear the rumble. Still far away not to be a problem not a good idea to be out in the rain but sometimes it's the best time. Looking down at my feet I see the handle of the boat umbrella so I am good in case it starts to come down. Almost at the point a ease up and slide around it to enter another small bay. With a few short easy strokes I coast to a stop within casting distant of a rock pile that I know of.

Even though I have the bass boat tied up back at the dock sometimes like today it's best for the stealthy approach, Fishing like I was a ten year old it's good to return to the past. With that I reach under the seat and pull out my old fiberglass rod. It's already got a red and white bobber and a small split shot. At the end dangles a Eagle Claw #6 hook. My catch everything size hook. With this set up and my rock pile I will be able to catch or at least try to almost anything. With some effort I manage to thread a crawler on to the hook and with a soft cast a I drop the bobber, sinker and worm right where I know the rock pile starts. A few gentle rings roll out from the bobber to grow bigger and smaller at the same time. The bobber settles down and I settle in, Setting the rod down I call for Barney. He climbs off his perch and I reward him with an ear scratch and a pat on the rump as he turns to return to his seat. Nothing happening with the bobber, it's just sitting there. A few larger drops fall from time to time hitting the surface and making rings of their own. Barney is intend on a single reed poking it's way out of the water. So I sit here watching him watching it. Barney is on point, eyes locked in on that reed, his hindquarters twitch a little. O well I have fished with Barney before and I have learned to watch him.

I reel in and with a soft underhand toss I drop the crawler and bobber about a foot past the reed, with a turn of the handle I pull the bobber right up to the reed and then let it settle back. The spreading rings go past the reed to disappear. I sit back and wait, not watching the bobber but watching Barney. He just sits and looks at the bobber. A flash of lightning makes me look up and I start counting again in my head, little closer this time. Might have to think about going in soon here. Looking back at Barney I see he is up on all fours looking intently at the bobber, then I see his hindquarters start to quiver. Looking at the bobber I see it bounce ever so slightly. Then again, Bluegill I'm thinking. Then it moves to the right and then back again to the left, now I'm thinking Perch.... Then it just does a slow decent into the waters of Lake Iwantobethere and I point the rod and stand up. I set the hook and am rewarded with a BASS she breaks water and flings her head from side to side. The trusty Eagle Claw secure in the side of her mouth, Barney starts barking and wagging his tail, looking back at me I can almost read his eyes at he looks at me and then back at the tail walking bass as she turns trying to get away from me. It takes a few minutes but I get her along side the boat, Reach down and lip her and with long practice I tug the hook from her mouth, Holding her up for Barney to inspect we agree that she is all of four pounds more likely closer to five when I tell the story at the Lodge tonight. I slip her back into the water and she slaps the surface flicking water back at Barney and me. Just then the rain starts to pick up the rings on the surface are getting bigger and closer together. Time to head back, but there is another flash and this one is much closer. I put out the oars and pull for shore, don't want to be on open water right now. The old bow of the rowboat hits the shoreline and me and Barney settle in to wait out the storm. I reach under the seat to grab the umbrella handle and that is all that comes out, no umbrella. So there I sit, in the pouring rain with my dog and no umbrella, I feel like I'm ten again, sometimes not a bad thing at all....

Bobby Bass

Over Memorial Day I went to a graduation in a small town west of Lake Iwanttobethere. While I was there watching my niece graduate visiting family I was reminded that my great uncle Al homesteaded on the edge of Lucky bay on Lake Iwanttobethere. You know Lucky Bay where 4 leaf clover grow everywhere even got an 11 leaf clover once. Well great uncle Al homesteaded on a ¼ section in 1909 after the train ride from Duluth plus several days walk he staked out his claim and it just worked out that he ended up with 75 feet of Lake Iwanttobethere shoreline. It is kind of low ground my cousin Red says he still keeps the plank dock out and the log cabin is still there on the hill back in the woods. Red said I should go up to the place so after the 4th I am going to hook up the Cadillac boat to the old truck and head up to Lake Iwanttobethere. Have not been to great uncle Al’s place in 35 years. Even though Al and Bertha have been gone for a long time now Red says the place looks the same and the dipper is down by the spring and the water is still sweet. Plan on stopping at Masterbaiters to get some leaches what are there hours? Red told me I have to buy root beer on some island something about the view and then he winked?

Bobby a couple of other questions for you as I coming up without the wife and kids. Where is a good place to eat? Is there a place that has parts for 1950’s vintage Johnson seahorse motors always looking for something to keep them running? Last but not least can the Pizza canon deliver while I am trolling or do I have to anchor?

I am really looking forward to visiting Lake Iwanttobethere just thought Red had given the homestead over to the forest service, now that I know he still has the place I will be stopping in from time to time. Red is bit older than me and wants the help keeping things up. How is Hank at repairing hand pumps? Red said the pump in the cabin is not working the thought of hauling water up from the spring gee am not so young myself anymore, not old yet, your not old till your 84, but hope Hank can fix it.

Local high school had their graduation last Thursday night so since I had a daughter graduating it was a good idea that I went. Of course this created a completely new "honey due list" as now in a few weeks we will be having an open house and BBQ to celebrate. But now the list has another author as my daughter has made some suggestions that she to would like seen done. Of course some of them I agree on but some are open to question, Like having to as they call it Organize my work shop. I know where everything is and if I can't find it I just go and replace it, then when I do find it I have two or maybe three of them. Like caulk guns, you can never have enough of them. Once when I Organize the work shop I had 9 of them, I'll wager you right now that I can go out there and only find two maybe three if I look hard. Gee they want me to stack my spare tires on top of each other instead of having them laying out. You know once in a great while I like to remember my old high school football days and walk through them, running is out of the question at my age, at least with out falling. I have already made a trip to the local landfill with a trailer of what once was "Good Stuff" and they are threating to spray paint things in the yard to mark them for removal. I went down and saw Earl at the General Store and bought spray paint in the school colors, This way when I run out of time to remove said spray items they will at least be decorations for the open house. Then there is the front storm door that is marked for replacement. Nothing wrong with it that I can see and besides we know everyone that is coming and they have been through that door dozens if not hundreds of times. I think they would feel uncomfortable if they had to come through a new door. Well I have to the end of the month, should give me plenty of time, as long as it don't rain or if it is to nice a day and I need to fish here on Lake Iwanttobethere.

Well down to one puppy left, all the others have been sold. Lucy is her name, bad thing naming puppies as they tend to stay after they have a name. One kitten left also her name is Molly but she is going to her new home today. So instead of 4 kittens and 7 puppies I will have but one, some things are getting better. Garden is in and growing, besides the never ending honey do list things at the homestead are fine. Town has settle in to a mid season hustle. Everyone is busy working and conversation on the street corners are a little shorter now. But there is still plenty of time at closing time for relaxing on Lake Iwanttobethere. Between horse shoes and our once a week softball games not to mention the Lodge meetings we still find time to share fishing stories. Barney was in first place again but got knocked down a spot when a tourist from Duluth caught a nice Northern off the landing when loading his boat. Had his rod hanging over the side when a fish came and snatched it. Some say Barney should get some credit cuz he started barking away at the guy who was complaining to Vicki about the barking dog. Vicki pointed out to the guy that his rod was heading down the shoreline, he then ran it down and was rewarded with the fish. Barney just continue down his way to Ma's resort where the crappies were biting off the dock.

Weather has been real nice here, might even say that it is a tad dry. Of course that is my fault because I was in charge of the roofing job at the Lodge and every time I got the crew together it would cloud up, but now that we are done it has been fair sky's. We are enjoying the new skylight, we just leave the door open to the women's bathroom so we can see the light. With it open it smells a tad better back there to! Next week I will be away for a few days as it will be time for the June fishing trip. Will be back in one of Lake Iwanttobethere back bays fishing for Bass and searching for stories. I don't usually have a problem finding either. Well back to the honey do list, it's not getting any shorter. Hope you are having good luck when fishing, remember to mention your catch to Vicki at the Masterbaiters shop. You just might make the Big Fish board..

Mr Perch well first off let me one of the first to welcome you out to the lake, always glad to have family revisit the lake. I think I have heard a story or two from Elmer about your uncle Al he was well know around these parts and his trek to Lake Iwanttobethere is some of the lakes history. I do know Lucky Bay I first discovered it when I was back in my teens and me and the current girlfriend back then would slip into it with my new wood row boat and past the evening away. I think I also met your uncle Al at the time he was trying to shoot my rowboat with a load of pepper from his shotgun and yelling something about not allowing skinny dipping in his bay. If memory serves me right there was a still back there and it used that spring water, it did make you smack your lips after a pull from the jug, it was sure some sweet stuff.

You should not have any problem getting bait at the Masterbaiters they have their hours posted on the door and anyway they live upstairs and are happy to answer the door at all hours. I posted your letter on the town meeting board so Hammering Hank will see it, I am sure he will get back to you about the old pump and Dug mention he will look through the graveyard for a sea horse, he thought he might have a part motor for you. Del says he can try and hit you with the pizza cannon but right now you are better staying in one place, When I left him he was trying to put some new cross hairs on the cannon so you might have gotten him thinking again.

The cabin is still back there? Hmm I have seen the wood plank and the path it is on is pretty well grown over. I hope you and the misses don't mind a few critters at least until ya get it cleaned out. I can't say enough of the Dew Drop Inn or Amy's two of just many places you should be able to find meals you will like there. Of course Mindy and Mandy's island serves hot dogs along with their root beer, you might want to stop there..

Anyway welcome to Lake Iwantobethere, if ya need anything just holler. You don't by the way play softball do ya?

Bobby Bass

Thank you for the welcome sounds like you met great uncle Al alright; he could be real unfriendly while brewing a batch and real friendly while consuming a batch. Looking forward to hearing from Hank about the pump and whatever else I decide needs help. Red says I can not fix things up to much or his wife might want to go with him. Well Red needs someplace to get away to. Red says "he wears the pants but she picks them out" oh well. Tell Dug it is a 25 horse Johnson made in 1955 and the new motor is a 5 ½ horse made in 1957. Had to get the new motor as a backup the 25 gave me trouble in 1995 finally figured out the flywheel magnet lost it’s magnetism. Took me a year to find one that fit and worked it came off a 1975 75 horse. Ever since have been keeping my eyes opened for spares. Does Del work off GPS coordinates or landmarks to get a general idea where you are, then a boat description? The boat description is the easy part the Cadillac looks like nothing made today with its big green snout but the landmarks could be a problem till I learn them. Masterbaiters sounds like my kind of shop they will be happy to see me as I always spend too much money at bait shops.

Red says the cabin is still there back in the woods. He also suggested bringing at tent especially if it is going to rain. Sound a lot like the lodge before you fixed the roof. I asked if there was any chance of the cabin collapsing and I was reminded that the logs were 4 feet across set on stones and the roof is half cedar logs. I am sure the critters have invaded. The misses will not travel to far from modern conveniences so the thought of staying in a old cabin with no electricity or indoor plumbing will not be her idea of a good time but the kids will love it. The oldest is in a wheelchair so I will have to clear that path first trip. It is amazing what I can get that new wheelchair through, we call it her four wheel drive’n chair. Will have to bring the misses up to one of the resorts in the fall. I am really looking forward to the trip up there the last time I was there was family reunion.

Looking forward to trying the food at the Dew Drop Inn and Amy’s who has the better breakfast or should I just try them both? Well I guess Mindy and Mandy are the scenery Red was referring to. So when my arms get tired from pulling in fish I will stop by for some root beer.

I used to play softball but as I have gotten older I have retired from the game. I am just not that competitive any more. If you don’t mind a duffer who can’t run or throw and can ocasonaly get a good hit and catch the ball then I am in.

I will be up to Lake Iwantobethere the 19th and 20th of June to clear the path. The kids want to go camping there the weekend after the 4th I can’t wait to see their faces when they see all the 4 leaf clovers.

Thanks for all the info& grin.gif

Got a call for assistance last night on the marine radio, had to run out and help a guy with a boat problem. Seems that old man Iverson has been working again on his pontoon boat. He is a creative old cuss and sometimes comes up with these bright ideas when he is sitting in his deer stand and then come spring he starts building things back in his barn but they usual don't come out as planned. Well this year he decided to modify his pontoon boat into one of them saltwater flat boats. So he took everything off the deck of his pontoon boat and then he took the Texas style deer stand that he ordered on the Internet and mounted it on the deck of the pontoon boat. Now he has a 15' chair and with the height of the boat he sits about 17' up off the water. When he climbed up it was a tad tippee but not to bad, he then added his long cane poles and was all set to go bluegill hunting. But he had no way of running motor controls that far up and even Dug said it was not safe to run cables that far so back to the Internet where he order two of them Minn Kota wireless trolling motors. He then installed a bank of deep cycle batteries, for power and ballast. Well he put one on the front of the pontoon and the other on the rear. Last night he took it out and was clipping along and getting the bugs out. It just might work. Then he had a slight problem. He had called ahead to Del and ordered a sausage pizza double cheese and said he wanted it when he cleared the point. Well Del fired off the pizza with his new guidance system. The new system allow him to send the pizza off to moving boats and is designed to land in the customers hands. But Old man Iverson hands are about 18' above the water. Before Del could adjust Marty the part time kid had fired the pizza off and the lights dimmed as the cannon went off. Del looked out just in time to see the pizza take it's first skip off the water and head skyward. Old man Iverson comes around the point and is adjusting his trolling motors when the pizza comes in head high, throwing up his hands he twists the controls to hard right turns and drops them in the water when the pizza bangs off the chair.

So when I arrive I see Iverson hanging on to his deer stand chair, his pontoon boat doing spins in the bay. The chair is at 45 degree angle with the water and the Johnson kids are out on the jet boats jumping the waves coming from the pontoon boat. Not much we can do but watch and hope his batteries die. Well this goes on for awhile and since it is Friday night the pontoon party hears about this and they travel over to watch. A social group the pontooners tie all up in the middle of the bay and then just party, It turns into a large party barge. Well they come over and watch and then someone gets the idea they should gather all their wireless controls and see if they can find a matching signal. They are all dumped in a empty cooler and Dug gets close with a jet ski and starts trying different combo's. This turns interesting as now old man Iverson is at the mercy of Dug and his pontoon boat now looks like one of the four blue ticket rides at the state fair. The bucking bull one would be a close comparison. Well somehow the right two controls are found and the motors are turned off. It takes a while but the bay calms down and Old Man Iverson is helped down from the tower. I put a rope on the pontoon and tow it back to his dock. The party barge gets back under power and heads back across the bay toward the Lodge. Iverson wife comes down to the dock holding the camcorder and beaming that this has to be worth a few dollars. I head back to my cabin and see Barney and Bud are both waiting for me on the dock. As I tie up I hear a lot of yelling out in the center of the bay where the pontoons are gathered. Dug brought the controllers back but no one had remembered to label who had which one, now pontoons are banging against each other as they try and sort out who has what. A big bumper boat party as they bounce off each other. Just another Friday night here at Lake Iwanttobethere

Fathers day here at Lake Iwanttobethere One of the busy weekends here as a lot of fathers young and old return to the water to share time with their sons and daughters. I was out this morning with my sons and tonight I will be out with the girls. Of course today is also silent Sunday so it can make an interesting Holiday. The boys don't mind as they don't have to much to say at 5 am besides so much can be said with out saying anything sometimes, A punch in the arm is sometimes worth a thousand words, a thumbs up after a fish boated is good for a couple hundred and a picture speaks for itself. The same goes for a kiss on the cheek from one of the girls or a hug. They last forever.

Lot of guys out on the water and most of the stores in town are being ran by the wife's. Guys are out drifting across Lake Iwanttobethere and for some it might be the only time they get out on the water. It's to bad that we have to have special days set aside for fathers and mothers to spend time with their family. Of course times change and now our families are spread out across the countryside. Kids aren't a horse back ride away anymore but are hours drive away or for some even you will have to hop on a plane. Spending time on the water in a boat or even from shore brings back forgotten memories of fishing trips and times shared before. Does not matter if a fish is caught but it sure helps. Open up the cooler to find what kind of lunch ma has packed away. When the kids are young it might be filled with finger food and lots of it, If fishing was slow there was always some cookies or fudge to be snacking on. A cold pop hit the spot when things got slow and the sun was high over head. Sitting in the boat and hearing the waves lapping against the side, the buzz of a persist fly and watching a gull soar by. You watching your kids bobbers as they watch yours. The yelling of someone in a boat on the point as they fight a fish and the young one suggestion that maybe we should fish over there. Finally watching the bobber start to sink below the water and reminding the youngster that they should be watching their own bobber. The yell and of course the ensuing fight and how we better net it cuz it's a whopper!

As I get older with each passing Fathers Day I see myself as my father and now I understand why he would just sit back and watch, I think I understand that grin he always seem to have on his face to. I find myself doing that to my kids and to my grand kids. Hope you are spending some time with your kids today, don't just do it on fathers day, you don't need a excuse to be with your kids. From Lake Iwanttobethere

Been awhile here since I manage to let you know what is going on here at Lake Iwanttobehere. Another week has gone by and in there a birthday came and went and with it a few trips to town to return well thought of gifts that just don't fit. Of course the return money was then spent at Gander Mountain for some well needed lures and a compass for the boat which after 15 years decide to stop pointing anywhere. Last puppy found herself a home and now Barney and Bud no longer have any baby-sitting chores and are free to roam. Fishing has been good. And we are really green up here. I was in one of my favorite little bays two days ago and it is just covered in some of the biggest Lilly pads that I have seen in a long time. Of course the day I picked to go fish it the winds were around 25 to 30 mph and then there were gusts on top of that. Turtles are on the move to so you need to keep an eye out for them as no matter where or how many Turtle crossing signs we put up they don't always cross the road there.

Lot of new faces are around town as it looks like people are coming to visit us here at Lake Iwanttobethere. Dew Drop Inn and Amy's are doing a brisk business as well as Reed the Realtor has been passing out more cards then usual. A few cabins have the lights on longer and just about all the rental cabins are full every weekend. The sounds of Twins baseball can be heard all over the lake in the evening as with there winning streak they are being followed. Hammering Hank has finished making all the repairs from the go-cart race that went wrong and can now be seen parking his boat outside the Widow Hess in the evening. Some talk of maybe making her an honest women but that is just conversation I over hear from the wife talking on the party line with the other ladies. I have a graduation party this Saturday for the last daughter, I have a honey do list a mile long and not only is it from the wife but from the daughter to! Going to be a very busy week here at Lake Iwanttobethere. I still hope to wet a line a few times to, might have to be in the dark or when I have to run to town for supplies.

Speaking of summer where has it gone? Already 4th of July on the calendar and the town will be having it's parade and a softball tournament, we are 5-2 so far and not one church league fist fight has broken out. We did have one injury when the keg was tipped over and it rolled down the hill to roll off the dock and land in a tourist rental boat, sunk it right on the spot. We later found out he was a spy for a neighboring softball team sent to scout us so we consider that fair play. Besides Mindy and Many thought the guy was in trouble and ran down to the dock to rescue him. The sight of Mindy and Mandy running down to the dock brought back mammeries er I mean memories of Baywatch. The guy was already climbing out of the water, what a dummy, I've been trying for years to be rescued but every time I fall overboard near them they just wave and walk away. Well my time is up I have to start on the list, enjoy your stay here and say howdy if you see an overworked father with hands full and a popel pocket fishermen hanging from his bibs. From Lake Iwanttobethere

Bobby? i was wondering about a fishing report from your formentioned annual june fishing trip? and also want to mention that i may have to postpone my trip to lakeiwanttobethere for a little while as i FINALLY found a job. i have been doing the happy dance for a week now and am very happy with this great news. i do have a couple of weekend trips planned to the lake and will look you and the other fine peoples up there up then. mean while keep up the great reports from the lake as i will now temporarly have to live vicariously thru your reports till i get back to the lake. thank you bobby and let us know about the details of your trip. ... paul

About a week ago I did manage to get in my scheduled annual fishing trip. No matter what happens this trip is written in blood on the refrigerator Nothing short of well I can't think of anything that would stop this annual event. One of the guys in our group past on to better fishing grounds several years ago and we asked if some one could video tape it for us, the funeral that is. The priest would not let him in the church but we do have a pretty good shot of the casket leaving. We had our own service with some 2 inch steaks and blackberry brandy.

Well the weather was good and we arrived at the cabin with no problem, there was 8 of us. We have long since replaced our departed friend. As in all fishing camps there is a pecking order, I am fairly high up as I am the cook and you just don't mess with the cook. Of course the reason I am the cook is because I am no longer the dishwasher. I started off as the dishwasher until the guys found out how I washed dishes. I thought it was a simple enough task. I would simply just put everything in a open mesh bag and toss it off the end of the dock, The minnows and crayfish would make quick work of the scraps and even would get those hard to get stuck on stuff off in just a few hours. A little rinse and you are good to go. Some of the guys thought it would be better if I scrubbed with a pad and used dish soap... Don't do that at home why would I do that out there...But then again a lot of things happen at fish camp that you don't do at home. One because your spouse thinks that you can't and two because you like to continue to let her think that way. At home you drop your pants on the floor in the bedroom, they reappear clean and folded in your dresser a few days later. At fish camp if you drop your pants it's cuz you lost a bet.

My friend Jerry and I were partnered together for this trip. When we get to camp we draw straws as to who fishes with who. We also drew canoe duty. Which means we have to haul a 17' canoe back to the small mouth lake that we all take turns fishing. The lake is about a half a mile up and down a ridge from camp. We haul a canoe back there and leave it for the length of our stay. It was not any fun when we were young and it is still no fun now that we are older. The only good thing is that we get to fish the lake twice When we bring the canoe in and then bring it back out. We have gotten into the habit of bring in a small recorder with us and then when we catch a fish we just record what we caught and then at the end of the trip we can talley up our fish.

Nothing out of the ordinary happen on this fishing trip just good time spent with friends and some relaxing times. Not like in the beginning some 30 years ago when we were young bucks running all over and we could paddle for hours. We would even have races for no reasons at all. Go back into lakes that held nothing but skeeters big enough to steal your backpacks. One of the guys named Gary is a big health nut, has been for years and he always insists on carrying his own canoe up to Mountain lake which as you might guess its up a mountain. We had a little rain that day and it made the trek a little slippery. Gary was far ahead of us till we heard a scream and then saw him upside down in his canoe sliding down the hillside heading for the lake we just came from. He entered the water with a splash and stayed upright. We yelled down to see if he was ok and he said he was but he had dropped his paddle. He yelled for one of us to bring him one and get him back off the water, Well the rest of us were halfway up the hill and we could hear the sound of brook trout calling our names so we just told him we would find him when we came back down. He was not to happy but that is why we always have two to a canoe. So anyway Jerry and I were driving back home and we decide to play back our trip to the small mouth lake and we started to count fish, When I flipped the tape over to the other side it was quiet for a few minutes then we could hear some heavy breathing and some moaning, more heavy breathing and some voices in the back ground. We pulled into a rest stop and turned up the volume we were pointing fingers at each other thinking one of us had been at the Widow Hess's house when we realize what it was. Somehow it, the recorder had gotten turn on when we were making the portage getting the canoe out. The moans and groans we heard were us! Guess that canoe is getting heavier then we thought... From Lake Iwanttobethere

A long holiday weekend here at Lake Iwanttobethere time to sit on the dock and drown a minnow or two. Had the final graduation party yesterday and even completed the honey do list with 10 minutes to spare. Now I can sit back for a few hours before the new list will show up on the fridge. Had to prime the pump and I am kind of working as I have the sprinklers going watering the lawn. Really dry here as what rain we have had just splits up and goes right around us here on Lake Iwanttobethere. Good for fishing but makes more work having to water the lawn and of course the garden. A few of the bays are looking kind of low and that of course means the Lilly pads are big and not to many open spots. Already tossing buzz baits when we are going out fishing in the evening and I am having my own on going battle with what I know is a big bass off Murphy's dock. I got taken twice last fall fishing the dock had her on once really good till she came right at the boat made a hard turn and snapped my line like it was kite string in a hurricane. I switched to some of that new power pro on a rod just for her and I had her on again the other night ..twice.. Missed the set the first time and the second time I came back with just line. Can't believe she broke the line I think I tied a bad knot. Trouble with that new line is you have to learn new knots and if you don't have you glasses with you it's tuff to tie with out getting your fingers in the way. I'll have to practice and keep learning I guess..

I was at Gander the other day and bought some of them Catseye lights that clip on to the bottom of your cap. I like them, really frees up your hands to do other things. But I did find a few problems with them. It was raining a little on Thursday night when I managed to slip the boat out with out the wife knowing. When I got back to the dock I turn them on and I held an umbra over my head and put things away. Well those little lights sure do attract the skeeters and the umbra trapped them all at face level. Move the umbra to get rid of the skeeters and then get a face full of rain water. O well.... I showed my friend Jerry them and he went out and bought a pair. He was playing with them on the way back home and pulled over to help a lady with a flat tire. He got out in the rain put the catseyes on, turned them on and then walked toward the lady in distress. He didn't know that all you can see is the three lights and no face. Guess the lady thought he was some kind of alien as she was screaming and driving away on her rim. Last Jerry saw of her she was tearing around the curve in the road and sparks were flying from her rim and he could hear here yelling about Martians.. Geezee, tourists..

Long weekend here to as the 4th is on Tuesday just like everywhere else. We will have our 4th parade on Tuesday to be followed by fireworks in the park and the annual pontoon parade. At midnight we have the roman candle joust contest in the bay, these is a event for the younger guys as they are only allowed to use row boats. They are allowed up to two launchers in the front of the boat and two rowers. They used to use runabouts but after the fire that was outlawed. 4th is pretty much an all day and all night deal here with everyone getting involved some how. Masterbaiters have a fishing contest. There is not one but two drink contests and our own special smoking contest held in the fish house. Last man standing wins that one. We used to have a bathing suit contest but we just give the prize to Mindy and Mandy and save ourselves a lot of trouble with our wife's. Town smells good with all the baking and pie making and of course the registers are ringing away as the tourists are all over town. Looks to be in the 80's and no rain in sight. Going to be a lot of beer being drank at the softball game. Well time to move sprinklers have a good 4th and I will be back. Going to grab my pole and see if I can't borrows Elmers bike and see if I can't get away for awhile with out being caught.. Hey nothing wrong with a grown man riding a bike with his fishing pole!!