• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Explorer 1650 w/50 Yahama 4 Stroke

Question

I have owned this great boat for about 2 years and am wondering what sort of props others are running. The boat came with a 14-inch (could not get RPM’s high enough with a 14”) pitch on it and I ended up testing different props until I landed with an SS 12” prop. I can get it up to 32 MPH (5900 RPM) but am having a tough of a time with cavatation (the prop does not give me a lot of bow lift either). At any speed if I bump the tiller it will cavatate. I think it might be mounted to high. Does anyone else have any similar problems or use better props?

5 answers to this question

Lower the motor and go back to your original prop. There's a reason that your motor came with that prop: good all around performance. Sounds like you're not getting it and may be a victim of bad set-up.

Lower the motor and go back to your original prop. There's a reason that your motor came with that prop: good all around performance. Sounds like you're not getting it and may be a victim of bad set-up.

I run the same boat with a yamaha 2 stroke. Your max operating range for that motor is 6000 rpm,were you getting that with the original prop when properly trimmed out? Like bryce said you may have to lower the motor. If your not getting the max operating range with the old prop you may have to add a hydrofoil or go with a stainless prop. Also check to make sure your boat weight is evenly distributed..

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-23-2002).]

D-man the original prop (14") could only turn 5000 rpm the SS 12" can turn around 5900-6000. I feel I have the right prop but it sounds like the Dealer mounted the engine it to high. What does a hydro-foil or a planer do to boat?