• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin GPS...

Question

It's me again; and I have more questions. smile.gif

I just received my CD of US roads and Rec. and am wondering after I downloaded it to my computer; should I down load that right away to my GPS or...plot out a route and the download. What's the best way to go about this?

thanks!!

[email protected]

9 answers to this question

I does not matter what you do first. The area you download the detail for are by counties with that CD so just do a little playing with it first to be sure you get the areas that you want within your memory limit.
And you will stil need the CD to build the map prior to downloading.

Rob

Lakemaster software only functions as a waypoint management system for a GPS. It is compatable with most Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance units. Memory size is dependant on how much information you want to download off CD purchased with Garmins name on them. How much information you put on depends on how much detail that given area has. Metro areas has lots of data South Dakota not as much. Each area is different and each map you build will be different. But 8mb should be sufficient for most people.

Rob

I am new to GPS mapping units and I am considering buying the Garmin GPSmap 76 but I want to use Lakemaster software.Is this unit compatible with this software?.This GPS has 8mb of storage,will it be enough?
If it does work together does the actual map show up on the screen of the GPS or do you just mark coordinates on the map on your computer and then those waypoints are transfered to the GPS unit?

I bought the Lakemaster software and a GPS MAP76 at the ice fishing show. I have transfered waypoints back and forth.

I'm also new to GPS.

This is a slick deal. The base map in the GPS unit shows the small roads leading to Mille Lacs, but there is no detail of the lake(s). I can't wait for the day when we can walk/ride with the map and see yourself moving on the contour lines.

The interface to GArmin MAP76 is not listed in the software - I selected the MAP12 from the drop down list in the LAkemaster software and worked just fine.

Not sure if I'm using GPS correctly - I think I'm getting +/- 20 foot accuracy on Mille Lacs. I was expecting 9 feet or less.

Would be interested to hear from others.

Jess,

The cost of lakemaster varies depending on what edition that you buy. I have used LakeMaster for the past 2 years and absolutely love it. Here's the link to purchase it.

http://fishingminnesota.com/lakemap/

If you have any other questions ask away

------------------
Paul
bobber.gif

[This message has been edited by Pwaldow123 (edited 01-26-2002).]

OK, I was actually @ Galyan's and I was going to purchase this lake software and the salesman talked me out of it. And reading through the brochure, these maps can be off by up to 1/4 a mile. It seems like this is quite a bit! What are your thoughts on this, or how do you deal with it being up to 1/4 of a mile off?

p.s. Shame on me for going to Galyans and not supporting FishingMinnesota.com

This should've been included in my last post. But what's the REAL difference between the
LakeMaster Mille Lacs Reelbottom (600)
LakeMaster Mille Lacs King Tutt's Walleye Whiffer II Edition (602)
and
Lake Master Minnesota (603)

Is the 600 worth spending and extra $35 for what appears to be a better mapping of Lake Mille Lacs? Or does the 600 have better mappings of the 100 other lakes in Minnesota?

Thanks again,
-Jess

They trolled Mille Lacs to create the one foot contour version of Mille Lacs and a couple others. Their web site claims they don't use scanned/raster maps as a basis for the gps points. I think they use GIS data/vector to create the other lakes.

General accuracy? The Mille Lakes map is right on - I placed my house within 3 feet of the point shown on the map when I transferred waypoints. Using WAAS on the Garmin map76.

Too bad, it looked good on "paper" the spot was not so good. Oh well, the software is fun.