• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Heat for Small Protable

AJ

Question

Just purchased a new 1-man portable, now I need some heat. What have people found to be the best heating system for the $? I am leaning towards the Mr. Heater Cooker just because folks have told me they work great. I am happy using 1 lb tanks, but would consider a 5 lb tank and the "standard" Mr. Heater if people tell me a 1 lb tank will not last an afternoon on the ice. What else should I consider? The Buddy Heater is very nice, but my friend said the pilot light blows out when it is windy or you open the door to the portable. Please help. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Tough Pup is 1000 BTUs less than the Buddy. I like the design, and it is on sale for $70 at Thorne Brothers. I guess my primary concern, other than the pilot light deal, is whether ot not 8000 BTUs is enough to warm the Den on cold days. Comments? Thanks for the response so far.

I have the Mr. Heater/cooker as well and it is a pretty slick unit. You can buy an adapter that will allow you to operate it off of any size bulk tank and it comes with about a four foot hose so you can keep the tank outside. It's nice to be able to flip it over and boil up some venision polish for lunch on those long days on the ice. I use mine in a Fish Trap Guide (two person) and it keeps me plenty warm.

I have had the Buddy heater for the last 1 1/2 years I haven't had the wind be to much of a problem. You don't want to have the heater facing into the wind.It seem to be plenty of heat for me. I use it in the small Otter Den and even get into South Dakota several times a year where the wind blows nonstop. I haven't tried the new Paulin Tough Pup it is a 4000 to 8000 BTU and runs on the small tanks also.

If the "Tough Pup" is the same as a Mr. Heater Jr., I'd just go with the Mr. Heater and be done with it. I have the Jr. also and it's nice to have the extra heat of the regular size if needed. The Jr. saves some room on warmer days thou.