• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance X-75

Question

Any hints on using an LCD for ice fishing. I know Vexilars are better, but I have to use what I have now. I seem to always have fish echoes on the screen but when I compare my readings to those of a Vexilar they differ greatly. Any Hints?

3 answers to this question

I use my X-85 and swear by it. I am able to see a split shot and jig as separate lines on the screen, and it easily marks fish. OK all you Vex heads, go ahead and laugh, but getting 45 seconds worth of screen data is much better than going crazy from constantly watching those flashing lights on the Vex.

Here are some tips that I have discovered while making this setup work.
1- Turn off the Fish ID feature and never turn it on again. This is more of a marketing feature than a fishing feature, and it stops you from seeing whats really down there.
2- Turn off the Auto feature. This will require you to adjust the sensitivity, grayline, depth range, etc. manually. In the summer this doesn't work since you are usally trolling, but in the winter you are not moving, so once you get it adjusted, your good to go. Until you move to another hole.
3- I have several ways for unit and transducer mounting. Let me know if you want the details.
4- Use a gell cell battery!
5- If you don't mark fish after a while... move, there's nothing down there. When you see fish on the screen, move your bait just above them, and you'll increase your sucess.

PS> To you die-hard Vexers, I fished next to a guy with an FL-8 the other day, and he turned his off after about 5 minutes and watched my screen.

JW

[email protected]

Sorry, I don't think I explained the 45 second thing very well. You get 45 seconds of recorded/past history. That means you can look away for up to 45 seconds and still see if anything came into the cone. Yes, you can also stare at it constantly, but it's nice to know you didn't miss anything while digging for another cold one.

As far as "Real-Time", yes the Vex is a little faster, but only by fractions of a second. Once the LCR is configured correctly, there is no way the fraction of a second can affect your response to the fish.

Not downplaying the value of a Vex. They are great units, but they aren't the only tool in the bag.

JW