• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glacier vs sno- boat II

jighead

Question

Hi Guys;
I was thinking of buying the Clam Sno-Boat II. I have a few questions about it first before I buy. Does the canvas come off the plastic frame or is it permanently attached? How quickly can it be set up? I looked at one the other day At Fleet Farm and the fishing area looked pretty small. Would there be any problems with hitting the end of your longer rods on the canvas? The model that was set up at Fleet might not have been set up correctly because it looked like you really did not have all that much room to sweep your rod up for the hook set! Please let me know!

12 answers to this question

Jighead:

I've had a Sno-Boat II for a number of years. My dad owned an original Sno-Boat when I was a kid and bought me this one as a Christmas gift some time ago. The two things they changed on the II model was the canvas (originals had nylon) and the bar that pushes the canvas out farther over your holes -- for the exact reason you asked about. The canvas is permanently attached to the sled. I fish with 30" rods and haven't really ever had a problem getting good hook sets. As far as design goes, I like the layout of some other models better; in S-B, you're fishing all your lines side by side and in deep water, you'll sometimes get lines crossed fighting a fish or with a fiesty minnow. That's not as big of a problem with some where two guys can sit and fish opposite corners. The one thing Sno-boats have going for them based on my experience though is set-up/take-down time. When I get to where I want to fish, I want to get started. When it's time to go and it's 10 below out, I don't want to have to spend 5 minutes messing with poles and folding things up. I can have mine taken down in about 20 seconds, flat as a pancake. That's what's kept me from forking over big bucks for another one.

MatD;
Thanks for the information concerning the Sno-BoatII. I picked one up the other day and although I had a little trouble setting up the canvas and adjusting the poles correctly; I think that this set up will work quite nicely! Thanks for your advice!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I agree,
the Glacier and sno-boat are very similar once set-up.

The Glacier is better quality, lighter, and much faster to set-up. Not as expensive either.

Get yourself a great product and get a Glacier.

Anyone else with a Glacier care to comment?

I don't have a Glacier, but I sure do have some questions about them!

The "diagram" photo on the site shows a square box for a base. I hope that's just for illustrative purposes because I would want a sled-type base. Can someone clarify?

Also, does the Glacier have the "flip-over" option like a Fish Trap does? Or is it just simply set-up and stays that way until taken down?

Apparently there really isn't a place to get a look at a Glacier before buying. But, I was on a company's web site who also happens to have a retail store next to the interstate near Owatonna and I saw a Glacier line advertised there. Is this a place where a guy could get a look at one?

I'm not sure about the store in Owatonna, but the cabellas in PDC Wis. had the glacier on display. I've got one and like it. The front does have a flip down feature so it's not dragging in the snow when you move from spot to spot. I just use a bungie cord to hold it up when I want to move. It has a sled type base. And I don't think you can get much lighter.

Thanks for the follow-up. It is the two-man that I would have interest in.

I assume that one is still more mobile in a Glacier than they would be in a style like the Clam 5600.

I'll just have to go look at one to get most of my questions answered. Thanks!

Pw 123, I've got the 3-man model and as I'm sitting in it, the front part that I'm facing will flip up and down. That's why I said it has a flip down feature. No, it's not like a fish trap or some others of that style, but it does flip or raise or whatever you want to call it.

Huskyminn,

Regarding the Glacier what all do you want to know? It does have a sled type base, and no it does not have the flip-over feature. It stays set up until taken down. FYI Cabelas in Owattonna only has the Glacier 2 man left FYI.

Paul

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Huskminn
You are definitely more mobile in a Glacier than a Clam. You just flip the front piece up and your off. It's light. I owned a Clam and got rid of it. Not mobile enough for me. Too long to set-up and take down, especially when it's cold or windy. The Clam is also much heavier.

The picture drawn of the box is just an indicator. It is a sled similar to the sno-boat.

It's a nice unit. Everyone who has purchased one really likes them and several dozen have already been purchased here.