• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flaring out hole bottom?

jasonk

Question

Has anyone used one of those auger attachments that are supposed to flare out the bottom of the hole? Last year we had trouble landing some nice lakers in Canada because we couldn't get them up the hole before they worked their way off. If someone has used them, how did they work? Where can you get them. Thanks

7 answers to this question

I almost got one last weekend but I didn't know if it would work on my auger bit. They have them at Gander and are on clearence. I was at the Maple Grove store. Located under the Otter Sleds. I want to say they were $35, but don't qoute me on that.

Dusty: how does it attach to the bit? And how exactly does the attached blade retract? I've never fully seen them used but have been looking at them ever since I lost a 15lb. cat because he planted his head under the ice. Granted I probably would've never got him through the 8" hole because his head was so big. Let me know I have a Strikemaster and another one that's identical but made by a company in Wisc. got it at an auction for $15. It was one of those Police auctions.

I used one on my auger. The second time out, the spring loaded "blade" came loose from the spring. When this happens...guess what?? The whole darn auger is stuck in the hole!! frown.gif You see..the flaring tool uses centrifugal force to expand thus flaring your hole at the bottom. If the spring comes loose, you are setting there with an 8" auger that is about 10" in diameter below the hole you just drilled through. I ended up using one of my jig rods to tactfully lift the little flaring blade enough to get my power auger back out of the hole. Ther is not much room between the auger and the ice. I was so torked off!!! I was required to drill holes in the base of my auger to attach this apparatus and it took about 45 minutes to complete the installation. It was a pain in the butt. I even found a mistake in the instructions. When I got home that night, I looked on the box for a "customer service" phone number. I found one. I left a message for them to call me back. I never got a call. A week later I returned it to the store I purchased it from and they were not surprised that I was returning it at all. Apparently I was not the first one to experience trouble with it. I guess that explains why they are on clearance already during the peak of the ice fishing season. Folks...I don't normally slam a product too hard just from my own experiences, but this product just has to be given and "F" in my book! If it was still in my garage, I would not even give it to you because I don't dislike any of you that much! Enough said???

Hunt4Food,

Thanks for the input. I just bought a power auger and was debating one of these thingies. I put it off because 1) I noticed they were hard to find, 2)The company's HSOforum (and probably the company) no longer exists, 3)Most of the ones I saw were on sale, and 4)I was skeptical. After reading your post, my suspicions are confirmed -- bad idea! I'll put the money towards a new rod or something instead.

Hunt4Food,

Thanks for the input. I just bought a power auger and was debating one of these thingies. I put it off because 1) I noticed they were hard to find, 2)The company's HSOforum (and probably the company) no longer exists, 3)Most of the ones I saw were on sale, and 4)I was skeptical. After reading your post, my suspicions are confirmed -- bad idea! I'll put the money towards a new rod or something instead.