• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster's Gas Cap: How do I plug the dam?

Dan97

Question

Howdy All...

The gas cap of my Lazermag leaks like a cheap pair of waders. I'd like to keep the gas in the tank and not in the bottom of my Otter. Both gaskets appear to be in good condition. I even tried the gas cap off my snowblower. Fit fine, but that leaked even worse.

Aside from half filling the tank, what's the secret?

Dan

8 answers to this question

Are you positive it's the cap?

Is the cap to tank opening possibly cracked, or warped to "out of round"?

Doubling up the cap gasket might help.

I've had my Strikemaster auger for 3-4 years & haven't had any trouble.
[Except when I forget to shut the air-screw on the top of the cap.. wink.gif ]

I Wish ya good luck regardless.

[Nobody wants to smell gasoline when they're in there shack. frown.gif ]

MnSportsman... Yeah, I'm sure it's the cap. I checked the tank itself and appears to be fine. I also replaced the leaking cap with a solid, non-vented cap and the leaking stopped.

CD... A new cap design? I haven't seen that either. All they have shown on their HSOforum is the "leakmaster" style. I'll try a phone call tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Chemist... I built a small rack for my auger that holds it with the cap/tank facing up when in the sled. It does help a little, but as you said, it does not completely solve the problem.

Thanks for the replys. For a temp fix, I installed a solid rubber washer to the inside of the cap. It eliminates the breather screw, but I am still able to get about a dozen holes done before having to open the cap. If I can get a hold of one of those new-fangled Strikemaster gas caps, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks again......Dan

Here's what I do because I'm too cheap to buy a new cap. I take a plastic shopping bag and put it over the opening to the tank and then screw the cap down over the bag. It seals the threads and the vent but you have to take it off when you run your auger. Also, stick a spare bag in your pocket because you'll probably lose the first to the wind.

.....and then you get gas all over your hands and you wonder why the fish aren't biting.....

I am going to search for a new and improved gas cap. There has to be something out there......

Well I located the leak. It's right next to the little insert they use to install the breather screw. It seems that this is "glued" into place. No glue and drip-drip-drip. Aside from the flimsy material used in the caps construction, this must be their design "flaw". It's time for modification.....AGAIN.

Figured out a fix for the questionable breather gasket. After removing the "E" clip, remove the breather screw and the "thick" rubber washer. When you put it back together use a much thinner gasket and a small, thin metal washer. This eliminates the bulge that happens when you shut the breather. And I feel it's the bulge that causes the factory washer to break.

I'm off to the garage to put on my modification hat.......Dan

Another option is to use the white plumber's teflon tape, the kind you wrap around threaded copper or steel fittings to seal them. It's cheap, and any hardware store will have it. I'd wrap the threads (on the tank, not the cap), several times. You also might have to re-tape, since the stuff is fairly delicate and probably won't stand a lot of screwing.

I have an XL3000 with the same leaky cap problem. I haven't tried the plumber's tape. Just figure it might work. Because of the problem, I've only ever filled the tank half full, which minimizes the seepage.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])