• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy owner having problems

Question

I just bought a new Jiffy Arctic, 2hp, 8" cut auger and had some problems this last weekend. It took quite a few pulls to start each time and also had to it choke everytime. There is some play between the auger and the motor/gear case. Should I be concerned. Are these augers hard starters? Looking for help from experienced owners. Thank You.

4 answers to this question

I bought a new 3hp thunderbolt last year, and could not get it to run at all unless there was at least half-choke at all times.

I took it to a tecumsah dealer and they checked it out. The carb had to be taken apart because is wasn't set correctly at the factory in the first place. No charge, it was under warranty.

Runs very good now. Maybe check it out.

X

I've owned a 3hp for 8 yrs and the thing I need to do each time for an initial startup(cold) is to prime it till the first sign of gas is comming out of the carb area,dont choke it just pull, has never failed me, even the first time of the season 2 puls she's running, like the prev. post said there may be a carb. issue, but give this a try. if it dies prime it a bit and do again, till warmed up, hope this helps!

lumpuckaroo,
yes there is some give between the powerhead and shaft of all power augers. dont worry about it. otherwise it woudl be tough to fit the two pieces together.
good luck

If you bought the unit that is SELF PRIMING then you need to fallow the starting directions carefully.

If you do it should start in 2-3 pulls after you fallow the priming process. They do not start like a older Jiffy as the first few short pulls prime the motor, then you pull for effect and it will start. I had one auger like this and managed to rip the starter recoil out of it by not following the instructions properly.

In warmer weather they start best with the choke off or half way in my experience.

Double check the manual to see if you have the self priming motor model.

Good fishing.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
[email protected]
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/