• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing the Right Flasher Unit

Matt Johnson

Quote:

Just like changing the channel when commercials comes on.

Amen. I, and everyone else here, retain the right to not subscribe to any opinions we don't share with others. grin.gif The US of A is a great place.

To make an issue of the FM staff's Marcum sentiment on FM is an academic exercise, you won't see a Vexilar or Lowrance banner ad here anytime soon. That is, until Vexilar or someone else convinces the staff of FM their's is a better product and company to promote than Marcum.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was taught in high school how to recognize both overt and subtle "propaganda" and "bias". Oh boy, those are strong words, federline, get out your FLAMESUIT! grin.gif

Seriously, tho, if you sense propaganda and/or bias, the first thing a savvy consumer does is put it into it's context before reacting. This context (a private minnesota all-season angling club that is free to members) lets people who don't have a Marcum or aren't going to buy one live in relative peace with those who own Marcum or plan to get one.

I say "relative peace" because we are subjected to the "commercials" for "sponsors" who make the context (FishingMinnesota.com) viable, and something you can CHOOSE to participate in. We're all choosing to participate in a privately-run-and-owned forum, which means we all agree to an "at-their-pleasure" relationship with FM.

Broadcast TV is free, and you get commercials that support it. But make no mistake, the television station is private and has 100% final decision on what you will have the chance to see.

Imagine having to pay for FM... didn't think you'd go for that! smile.gif Free forums (clubs) business model lie somehwere between "member dues pay all expenses" and "a sponsor or sponsors pay all expenses". The one constant is "expenses".

Maybe the Marcum peanut butter is getting spread thicker this year on FM, but then again, Marcum is almost doubling the size of their product line, too, at a time when they are a FM HSOforum sponsor, so it is to be expected.

The only real thing at issue here, is FM members FREE WILL to pick whatever they want for a sonar. I don't think that is being taken away.

What seems to be changing, tho, is the intensity of competition for your money between the leading two ice flasher companies, which happen to both be located in MN. MN ice anglers will be the ones who benefit first, and the most, from this situation.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

MN ice anglers will be the ones who benefit first, and the most, from this situation.

Exactly. Hopefully the Marcum/Vex debate never comes to an end and both companies keep challenging each other with improved products. I'm a Marcum owner but I hope that in the next year or two, Vex will come out with a product(s) superior to Marcums'. Lowrance could even step it up and get in the mix. The companies will just keep challenging each other and us fishermen will be the ones who benefit from it.

Thanks for the feedback DaveyG. I'm going to give them a try. I've noticed that the same company is selling the LX-3 on hsolist. Their latest sold went for $285 plus shipping so $300 is still looking like a pretty fair price. This company has also received positive hsolist feedback as well.

How do I feel about this? Thank God for the MarCum LX3 and now the LX2, LX3tc and LX5.

Brand loyalty is blind loyalty and I'm not loyal to anyone's brand. Not when I'm spending my hard earned dollars and doing something thats dear to me like fishing. I'm going to get the best that I can afford. Comparing brands and models of sounders on ice isn't possible for everyone.

Reading testimony from users with comparisons is a way for folks that to make a decision on what to buy. Thats what this thread is intended to do.

In making those comparisons sometimes you can't help not focusing on the weaknesses.

I've been using sounders going on 30 years. For me the advancements in technology over the years is obvious. If you look at the top ten companies you'll see improved or new models being developed every year. MarCum hit the market with a huge splash with the LX3 but didn't sit back and ride the wave, they made an great flasher ever better.

When you get hung up on loyalty and your toy isn't top of the line any longer we start to see the foolishness in negative posts. Lets move away from that and be happy theres competition to keep companies striving to make a better product.

Will your old sounder still work? Absolutely, should you go out an replace it with the latest and greatest? Thats up to you. For the guy just getting into sounders or upgrading you rely on comparisons from actual users and features the manufacturers list.

MarCum is a site sponsor and they pay for a banner.

My endorsement goes above and beyond what they pay for and I do so freely as with all my contributions here.

The competition in flasher technology is really heating up, just like it did in the All Terrain Vehicle industry when new designs from competing companies were introduced. And, like someone stated above, that's great for us consumers. I have both flasher technologies, they both perform well, but, I'll have to say, Marcum is "One Step Ahead".

I don't get caught up with brand loyalty either. I've had many fords, dodges (& chryslers), and chevy's. Still haven't gotten a rice burner yet. (I have also switched from elf and shasta cola to RC & Pepsi & Coke and now back to Royal Crown Cola! I skipped the whole DietRite & Tab/saccharine competition.)

I've compared the #1 flasher in the market with the LX3. I'm a Vexilar 18 owner but I hope that soon, Marcum will come out with a product superior to Vex's. I hope they stay around. (Hopefully someone I know in the Mankato area will buy an LX5 and let me borrow it for some more updated and unbiased testing on my own.)

I see the Legendary Al and Ron Linder fish with a Vexilar so that is what I fish with....ha,ha,ha grin.gifI'm kidding!

I have been sitting back watching this topic grow a bit. I think I even mentioned something right away in the first week about this topic...to the tune that it will be your decision.

I have always fished Vexilar because at the time, that was the only thing out on the market in color flashers and the Color Point was just hitting the market undefined. After a few years in the market, Color Point nose dived and Vexilar stood at the top alone. Now Marcum has come along the last few years and has put a few great products on the market to shore up the competition with Vexilar. I THINK IT'S GREAT!

When the new FL-18 came out, I upgraded and have enjoyed my purchase ever since. Would I make that purchase again confused.gif I don't know to be honest with you. I'd have to use the LX-3 or LX-5 to see if I'd like the differences between the two.

I've gotten so comfortable with my Vexilar (FL-18) and am able to read it that I don't second guess myself as to why I bought a Vexilar. They are a superb company as well and have a lot of time into research just as much as Marcum has.

As IceLeaders Pro-staffers on the site, we are not trying to influence your decision. CNY Tim is a Marcum Pro-Staff so he is going to give you his Marcum view as to why it is better. A lot of the other staffers (Hanson, Matt Johnson and others) have them as well and will give you great stories as to why they like it. I use a Vexilar along with other staffers and am VERY happy with my FL-18.

It just depends on what you what and what you'll be happy with...that's your decision to make. EITHER WAY, Vexilar or Marcum's product will bring you success on the ice.

Good luck and happy icin' this winter!!!

I've used both Vex fl-8 se and FL-18. I've seen the LX-3 in action and was impressed with their performance. I'm looking forward to using the LX-5 unit this winter. Will I get rid of my vex? No, I don't think so. I use it summer and winter and I'm very comfortable with it. However, I really like what I saw in the LX-3 units.

Heck, who said you couldn't have both? wink.gif

Just a quick note to add on this topic. I fished a FL-8 for several years and just loved that unit. Had the misfortune of loosing it while coming off the ice in the dark last year, long story. So i bought an LX-3, used it open water this summer and WOW I can not wait to hit the ice. The zoom is great, display is awesome and power/seperation is so cool. I can't imagine what this LX-5 will do maybe scratch your a#$ for you? just my 2cents.

Jay R

It is fun reading this but IMO the best flasher to use ice fishing is the one you can afford. If your dollar's only allow 7 bucks for a grage sale green box get it. If you can afford the latest greatest get that. Whatever brand you buy please keep sharing the info on what works for you so we all can have more fun. Because fun is what ice fishing is about Thanks to all who share regardless of what brand you use.

Well, I just bought my lx-3 from the guys at dvb. For $300 you can't beat it. I think it will work better than the bobber i've been using. Now if i can just get that free demonstation Matt has been promising everyone grin.gif.

I WILL definitely host an early ice meeting somewhere in the Metro and we'll all get together and demo a few products, with the MarCum flashers being part of that equation smile.gif

Maybe chase down some pannies and pike during the day, then switch over and see if we can't land some walleye or slabs in the evening...

I'll keep you posted. Probably sometime in December...

Just thought I would chime in. I have a Vex FL-8 Genz pack that was great last season (simple is good) and worked well on the boat this summer. The problem is that my familly keeps fighting me for it (daughter has the underwater camera) so we need another flasher for hard water (wife even suggest it). Anyhow, I've been looking over HSOList and the other usual sites and haven't seen any prices that were tempting. Waiting to long I did miss out on the LX-3 for $300 deal (great deal) but today I surf'd over to Reeds and found the LX-3 (bag, charger, battery, et al) for $279 which works out to about $300 after tax - not bad !

I use an Vex on the bow of my Crestliner. I do think you have to give some credit to the company that blazed the trail. I think using my Vex has put more fish in the boat and on the ice. I have several buddies that use MarCum.

I've been reading this post and doing a little talking with the sellers of these two products. I'm liking what I here about the marcums features but am questioning the reliability of it. Cabelas in Rogers says the marcum is the way to go.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Talking about any business the way you did violates forum policy.]

WallyObsession-

Here's my thoughts-

I have a Marcum LX-3. I purchased it new the fall of last winter. I did have troubles with my unit last winter not too long after I purchased it. It turns out that Marcum had a bad batch of transducers that were sold to many, many users with their flashers.

The problem is, if you weren't aware of this, you wouldn't have known that there was a technical problem with the unit. You would have thought it just didn't work right. The most common symptom was having to turn the gain wayyyyyy up to even detect your bait. This is not how they were supposed to work. If you were to return your unit to the friendly sales lady in customer service at Scheels, Gander, Sportsman's, or wherever, they would have asked you whats wrong and what you wanted to do- money back or exchange? You would have never known there was a problem and would have continued on your life knowing that Marcum you bought was a POS and probably walked out the door with a Vex that day!

So.... That may answer your question as to why there were so many returns.

Anyway, my unit was one of these units. A quick phone call to Marcum's customer service department and I had things figured out. 2 days later, I had a brand new transducer in my hands at no cost and the world has been wonderful ever since.

The one fact that I'd like to stress is Marcum has an unbelievable customer service department. If there is a problem, contact Marcum directly to see if you can solve it.

My unit has worked absolutely flawlessly after having the transducer replaced and I use it ALOT! Along the same lines of reliability, I also use a Marcum VS560 underwater camera which was a brand new product on the market last winter and that worked flawlessly through the course of the last year. I have yet to experience a problem with it.

That is my experience with Marcum products based on a couple of your comments. There are many, many other features of Marcum flashers that I am impressed with as well but those were not specifically related to your question so I'll leave that for another day.

Finally got my hands on the new Marcum LX-5 seems to be a real nice unit. Looking forward to putting it in use here soon now that the ice is forming. Been using the Vex FL-18 but with the extra power and SuperFine Line with the dual transducer should be fun to use.

I just bought the ice ducer and cables to turn my Lowrance 332C into an ice machine. I have it rigged on a Genz Blue Box. I already have an FL-18, but I was leaning towards a Marcum as a second unit for friends and family. It didn't cost too much to do this, so I saved a little for a few new rods and reels. I just tried the 2 foot test and it read 10 ft just like the vex smile.gif. It has the same amount of power as the LX5 and GPS, which I don't have hooked up. I'll post a report of how it works once the ice gets thick enough. I like the fact that it doesn't make any noise.